who's going up this weekend?

skidooboy

buny and i will be up with 2 other couples, staying @ chez gaston in dubreuilville. we will arrive thursday evening, and heading home monday. if you see two white cats with their riders wearing pajamas or clown clothes.... SAY HI!

we will be frequenting dubreuilville, hawk junction, wawa, missanabi, and maybe hornepayne and or white river areas. going out for some fishing a few times we hope as well.

who else is heading up the the north of superior area? drive safe, see you this weekend on the trail. Ski

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Two of us are going to my camp at searchmont wednesday. Will probably ride around there thursday if conditions are ok. then go to wawa on thursday night and ride those areas friday and saturday then head back to searchmont saturday night and go home sometime sunday. would love to hook up, especially if you are going to off trail at all. We usually try to take the lake trail from wawa to ernies at some point. Hope to see you. Dane

Have fun guys. Probably two good weeks left in wawa. Base will go quick next week if the warm weather Takes hold,

our group numbers 6 right now. that is about max for what i like for offtrail riding. this is a couples weekend, and two of the three girls arent in love with the deep so, we will be on the trail ALOT. we might see ya at ernies, we will definately be there at some point this weekend.

offtrail riding loops are like great fishin holes, you keep em to yourself, or you find someone has been in your hole before you get there. LOL!

there are lots of areas to play in the bad lands, and hydro lines in and out of wawa. no shortage of snow for sure. ski

Have fun guys. Probably two good weeks left in wawa. Base will go quick next week if the warm weather Takes hold,

Lot's of riding left up here In dubreuilville (-34C last night) , I'll be riding Easter weekend on great trails. therewill be some great april riding this season

we have reservations for chez gaston for easter weekend, there will be snow to ride, and fish to catch. ski

wow! the weather and temps forecast really changed in the last 12 hours. thought it wasnt going to be too bad. now it looks like a HUGE warm up for tomorrow, then a slight cool down for thursday and friday, then the warm and sun comes back for the weekend.

hoping we get alittle flufy snow for the top of the trails or the sleds will be in trouble for hyfax and over heating.

i thought i would never say this but, i hope they dont groom, and leave the snow to settle and be loose on its own. a smooth rock hard groom and no fluff, will be hard to ride very far on till the temps come up and the snow softens a bit.

i just want to get to esnagi a couple times, please!!!!! LOL! :D ski

Get the scracthers out. Looks like wawa might nor make it through march break with this crazy weather. Have fun.

we have and use scratchers.

3-4 feet of snow doesnt go anywhere over night. town will suck here and there but, there will be good riding to be had through the week on the trails and bush roads. all we will need is a couple inches of top snow, to put us back in tip top shape after the warm ups. ski

wow! the weather and temps forecast really changed in the last 12 hours. thought it wasnt going to be too bad. now it looks like a HUGE warm up for tomorrow, then a slight cool down for thursday and friday, then the warm and sun comes back for the weekend.

hoping we get alittle flufy snow for the top of the trails or the sleds will be in trouble for hyfax and over heating.

i thought i would never say this but, i hope they dont groom, and leave the snow to settle and be loose on its own. a smooth rock hard groom and no fluff, will be hard to ride very far on till the temps come up and the snow softens a bit.

i just want to get to esnagi a couple times, please!!!!! LOL! :D ski

Trails were fantastic this last weekend. I did a loop all the way around the top heading from Dub to Timmins the first day. Secondary clutch issue took me out 30 miles north of Dub and had to be towed back by my Daughter at the end of the loop. Almost made it ! Cat needs to de-bug new designs a bit longer !

I am looking at the next two weeks and the rain may kill it after this weekend?

I hate when it gets cold after it has been warm, because then the overheating starts. The sliders on the Cats can take more than the cooling system. The scratchers may be needed friday, but then it gets real warm again and it is the rain that might be the killer.

I will be up Thursday night and my group will ride in the best direction this weekend.

I think I will drag the trailer home Monday and then wait to see if I can get another trip later.

Scott

scott, where are you guys staying? we are going up thursday as well. thinking about an ernie run friday or saturday, then down the lakes to wawa, then back the trail or the magpie. nice day loop. are you comming with the girls? we are heading out fishing for at least one night. that is a hoot. if you guys want to join us feel free. ski

Boy - you missed it Kitty Boy!

Sat sucked. Flat light and spit snow.

(But even that was a 800% improvement compared to what we drove up in on Friday night!)

('nother fella from town jack-knifed his rig just west of the bridge on 2 about the same time I came through.)

But Sunday and Monday were absolutely perfect!

Snow was (is) deep!

Sun was out showing the topography!

The snow was deep!

and the sun was out!

Still -6* and stayed 100% dry.

Absolutely perfect both days!

I wear Jersey gloves to play in, and I never got them soaked to the point of changing them either day!

..and never got cold hands!

It really was the best of conditions both days!

However - our sleds didn't run right the first two days....

Had to run with the chokes one notch on on both sleds. (both '02 Summit 8's)

Figgered the torrential rain for an hr and a half on the way up didn't doo the DPM any favors, but they didn't dry out in the room overnight either. ???

Then on Monday they both just started running right. Maybe a slight bit lean, but not too bad.

Did I mention that they had pretty decent conditions this weekend?

Oh - and I am wondering if that was Gordys neice maybe (?) that won the truck?

Gordy - you checkin' this thread?

BTW - while I'm here, the conditions this last weekend were pretty good....

This pic is of a big hill strait S of McPhail Dam.

Snow conditions wouldn't even let me climb it.

I only made it 1/2 way.

See a foot of air below my track down to the bottom of my trench, and the snowflap is still strait out on top!

Not found bottom yet!

downsize.jpg

BTW - the conditions last weekend were perfect!

Temps super!

Snow deep!

Sun was out! (In Ontario?)

And besides that - the conditions were SUPER!

glad you had a great trip for snow. i figure it would be the last great powder days this season, unless we go west, (again). it didnt look that bad until the weathermen really changed the forcast for the warmer, today.

looking at the long term, it will be spring conditions VERY SOON, and trailering out to ride areas will be the order of the day.

here's to hoping it doesnt get as bad as they say, and we get some new snow to help alittle. ski

scott, where are you guys staying? we are going up thursday as well. thinking about an ernie run friday or saturday, then down the lakes to wawa, then back the trail or the magpie. nice day loop. are yo

u comming with the girls? we are heading out fishing for at least one night. that is a hoot. if you guys want to join us feel free. ski

My girl went to Florida so my.boy and two freind's are coming to ride. We were planning a ride to Longloc if conditions are good.

Wait and see? We will be at the other B&B in town Thursday night it is Obordelo. It is really nice.

Then we will be riding somewhere. Hope to see you.

Scott

wow it will be a family reunion of sorts. lots of regulars will be up. that is a good thing for the local economies. i may trailer up to hornepayne friday, to ride off trail. not sure i want to run the trail that far, being set up with no fluff. hopefully the flurries work out to be alitttle more than predicted.

here's hoping for safe travels for the trucks and trailers, and great conditions for the sleds. hope to see you all to say hi! Ski

Boy - you missed it Kitty Boy!

Sat sucked. Flat light and spit snow.

(But even that was a 800% improvement compared to what we drove up in on Friday night!)

('nother fella from town jack-knifed his rig just west of the bridge on 2 about the same time I came through.)

But Sunday and Monday were absolutely perfect!

Snow was (is) deep!

Sun was out showing the topography!

The snow was deep!

and the sun was out!

Still -6* and stayed 100% dry.

Absolutely perfect both days!

I wear Jersey gloves to play in, and I never got them soaked to the point of changing them either day!

..and never got cold hands!

It really was the best of conditions both days!

However - our sleds didn't run right the first two days....

Had to run with the chokes one notch on on both sleds. (both '02 Summit 8's)

Figgered the torrential rain for an hr and a half on the way up didn't doo the DPM any favors, but they didn't dry out in the room overnight either. ???

Then on Monday they both just started running right. Maybe a slight bit lean, but not too bad.

Did I mention that they had pretty decent conditions this weekend?

Oh - and I am wondering if that was Gordys neice maybe (?) that won the truck?

Gordy - you checkin' this thread?

BTW - while I'm here, the conditions this last weekend were pretty good....

This pic is of a big hill strait S of McPhail Dam.

Snow conditions wouldn't even let me climb it.

I only made it 1/2 way.

See a foot of air below my track down to the bottom of my trench, and the snowflap is still strait out on top!

Not found bottom yet!

downsize.jpg

BTW - the conditions last weekend were perfect!

Temps super!

Snow deep!

Sun was out! (In Ontario?)

And besides that - the conditions were SUPER!

Ox, I see you made it back up and were doing your thing! Sounds like you had a great time. I like the picture!

Heading up with a couple guys from Green Bay - will start in Wawa Friday. Plan to run over to Timmins and that way first in case temps take out C101F early. Don't know our exact route but will hit Timmins, Cochrane, Canyon, Hearst, maybe Longlac one last time before that trail dissapears. Maybe even White River for the same reason.

Been saying for a few years now this sport is about done in most areas as far as the big loops are concerned. I recall the big push in the early 2000's for the Trans-Canadian Trail. Don't hear much about that anymore unfortunately.

scott, there might not be much snow in the towns. you might be on alot of sanded roads, and worse in some towns. the temps and sunshine sat, sun, and monday are going to put a beating on exposed and thin areas. (unfortunately). i've saw two feet leave in 36 hours up there. looks like it might go fast now. especially looking at the long term forcast and temps. hoping a late dump gets us back in the game for a few weeks. not sure if i am going to leave my rig up there or not now. ski

How much rain you getting reg?

Looking at the web-cams this morning, it seems a little new snow came at the end of the rain last night.

I see it on the Wawa Goose cam loop and the Chapleau library web cam live showing the parking lot that was rain covered ice last night.

Not saying all is good, but some white has topped the ice. I hope it is attached and not totally loose blowing snow!

I am still heading up to Dubreuilville this morning. Be there by 10 pm tonight I hope!

Archived