B103 North Of Kinmount

Panterawill

Went out to Kinmount again. I'm an idiot for listening to my riding buddies. We went out there a few weeks ago and it was pathetic. The restauranteur said he hadn't seen a groomer for many days. Well today was no different. The B103 from Kinmount to Haliburton was an absolute POS. Massive bumps/rutts every 15'.

Went to Gravenhurst a few weeks ago when the trail guide said green and it was also sh!t (brown mud everywhere).

Should have given our money to Haliburton.

what do u expect with a winter we've had. Gravenhurst trails are in awesome shape right now but give it 2-3 days and it could change. No body should be whinning about trail conditions this year as its been just crap everywhere, except way north.

If it's yellow - we have nothing to complain about - we should thank that it's open at all ( I've been guilty of this in the past).

If it's green , and not Sunday afternoon after 36 hrs of heavy traffic - then you have a right to voice your opinion (IMO!).

The B103 on a weekend will literally see hundreds of sleds. There is no way a groomer could keep up even if it ran twice a day. If the throttle jockeys would stop playing Blair Morgan, the trail would last a heck of a lot longer.

Im not an idiot. I wouldn't complain if there wasn't enough snow. I paid $250 and have a right to voice my opinion. And it hasn't been crap everywhere. Dorset and Baysville were great when we went out.

When I plan a ride, I get on the OFSA trail site and expect that they are being honest with their reports. They are not. Gravenhurst was said to be green and it should have been red.

There is a huge base of snow in Kinmount. As I said, the last time we were there, the local business people were saying they never saw the groom for for days. It was the same case yesterday. We only passed 50 sleds. There were not "hundreds" of sleds out on the trail.

My point is, report the trail conditions as they really are so people can plan their trips accordingly. I don't mind driving another 1/2 hr if it means ridable trails.

If I posted that B103 was awesome and you drove 4hrs to ride a mess, wouldn't you be pissed at me?

When I plan a ride, I get on the OFSA trail site and expect that they are being honest with their reports. They are not. Gravenhurst was said to be green and it should have been red.

This is not the OFSC fault, it is the districts and clubs that do not update the ITG on a regular basis.

And so many tend to forget that the ones doing the updating are volunteers.

Im not an idiot. I wouldn't complain if there wasn't enough snow. I paid $250 and have a right to voice my opinion. And it hasn't been crap everywhere. Dorset and Baysville were great when we went out.

There is a huge base of snow in Kinmount. As I said, the last time we were there, the local business people were saying they never saw the groom for for days. It was the same case yesterday. We only passed 50 sleds. There were not "hundreds" of sleds out on the trail.

My point is, report the trail conditions as they really are so people can plan their trips accordingly. I don't mind driving another 1/2 hr if it means ridable trails.

If I posted that B103 was awesome and you drove 4hrs to ride a mess, wouldn't you be pissed at me?

You are not starting out on the "right foot" on this forum. Nobody called you an idiot, for starters. There are issues with the ITG as there has been since day one. If you are unsure or do not trust the guide, call a local club for an update. Send and e-mail or come here and ask somebody such as myself who is local. Don't just blaze away. You may very well have only passed 50 or so sleds..that is you while you are riding at that point in time. You are not there monitoring daily sled traffic and I can tell you will positive certainty that there are hundreds of sleds over the course of a Friday, Saturday and Sunday that use that B103 corridor. So my advice is to settle down and learn a little before you blaze away on here or you won't last long. Sure, voice your opinion, as we all have over the ITG! In addition the few business along the B103 (Kinmount) do not see what passes there through the night. That town is closed up tight as a drum after 5 P.M. The Haliburton club does not groom that section, the Kawartha club grooms there and HCSA north into Haliburton. I can tell you as a major corridor that section get's groomed pretty frequently, but it also get's huge rider pressure and as I mentioned a lot of abuse. That section of B103 also sees traffic from B112, Tr7, Tr9 all before you get to Haliburton. That is a lot of sleds and all merge past Kinmount, that is why the B103 is the way it is.

And yes.. as Bark Biter pointed out...the people that update the ITG are volunteers so don't jump all over them. Would you rather have somebody poking away at a computer updating a file or out grooming, or fixing a trail. These people work hard and can not be everywhere all the time. Many clubs are very limited in resources and tapped out come this point in the Winter.

While I am at it..the B103 is in D6 too. East.

Fred, someone replied that there is no snow, implying that I was complaining about the lack of snow. That would be stupid.

I complained about the ITG and you have just confirmed there are problems. Apparently you can say it, but you don't want me to say it? I'm not complaining about the volunteers. I am complaining that the ITG is inaccurate. You agree, but you don't want to hear it. You have some good suggestions. How about they post those suggestions on the ITG site? Crazy idea, huh? How many posts do I have to create in order to be able to voice my opinion?

""If you mean the excuse for a repair on Tr 4 just before you get to Horseshoe Lk. Rd. It is a nightmare. The hay is more like soup and the mud is thigh deep in the middle. I can not figure out why the club would not have put in a section of corduroy??? Hay might be fine for a small hole but a whole swamp?""

The above is a quote from one of your latest posts. Are you complaining about repairs done by volunteers?

Fred, someone replied that there is no snow, implying that I was complaining about the lack of snow. That would be stupid.

I complained about the ITG and you have just confirmed there are problems. Apparently you can say it, but you don't want me to say it? I'm not complaining about the volunteers. I am complaining that the ITG is inaccurate. You agree, but you don't want to hear it. You have some good suggestions. How about they post those suggestions on the ITG site? Crazy idea, huh? How many posts do I have to create in order to be able to voice my opinion?

None of us has any problem saying that there are problems with the ITG, but as stated it is updated mostly by volunteers, and only when those said volunteers are told what the conditions are out there. I know personally that in our club the trails have not been updated because the one who does the updating has not been told the conditons of the trails. And trust me it will be brought up at the next meeting as once again comunication is part of the solution.

""If you mean the excuse for a repair on Tr 4 just before you get to Horseshoe Lk. Rd. It is a nightmare. The hay is more like soup and the mud is thigh deep in the middle. I can not figure out why the club would not have put in a section of corduroy??? Hay might be fine for a small hole but a whole swamp?""

The above is a quote from one of your latest posts. Are you complaining about repairs done by volunteers?

Dude..you are missing the point totally. LOL There is a huge difference in updating a "guide" and that is all it is. Some people think it is the 'bible". In what I was stating is a safety hazard quite clearly. You experienced an inconvenience that rightly or wrongly ticked you off. That is why clubs have websites, phone numbers, trail reports, groomer tracking, etc. The ITG is a separate issue from the dangerous hazard on a trail. And yes, I am complaining about repairs done by volunteers. The fact that nobody had made an effort to identify a hazard with flagging tape or anything else is criminal, when they were full well aware that there was a serious issue. "we" accept the risks but there is a line in what is reasonable and customary. The ITG is neither. Complain all you want about the ITG I could really care less. I do care about sledder safety.

I felt that section of 4 should have been closed. I was out on russels landing family day weekend and they had red tape and big arrows showing which section of the lake was closed. Great job by the Dorset club. Hcsa has been grooming regularly. The b103 rail way line gets tons of traffic during a weekend. Hard to update the itg every day, since the person in the office isn't back in until Monday and trail could have been fine on Friday. Clubs should be able to change there own status without going thru the ofsc office. Maybe next year.

I felt that section of 4 should have been closed. I was out on russels landing family day weekend and they had red tape and big arrows showing which section of the lake was closed. Great job by the Dorset club. Hcsa has been grooming regularly. The b103 rail way line gets tons of traffic during a weekend. Hard to update the itg every day, since the person in the office isn't back in until Monday and trail could have been fine on Friday. Clubs should be able to change there own status without going thru the ofsc office. Maybe next year.

If I had not used my flagging tape I would have put some up around that mess on 4. It should have been clearly marked or outright closed..but then people would be screaming that the trail was closed. You cant win?

I'll have to get some contact info of locals that I can call to get up to date conditions for areas that I like to ride in.

Safe sledding guys.

Will

This is part of the reason this site exists. I have seen trails great in the morning and by the afternoon that same trail is in horrible shape. Central Ontario didn't get real cold weather to help set trails up. Hcsa does groom alot at night, especially on weekends since traffic is lower and temps colder to help set the trail back up. It was a tough year, since traffic was double what they normally experience.

Archived