Dorset Area

Fred Quimby

Rode some of the best trails all season the other day. Headed up the TOPB in (D6) to Hawk Lake and then up HCSA 16 into (D7), Tall Pines 64. Both HCSA and TP 64 were excellent! Hat's off to TP club for having some awesome wide trails! Felt like riding a monorail. Even the HCSA trails were in great shape! Hooked onto the D101B and rode that up to Dorset. Were going to ride more lakes but the trails were so enjoyable that it was a pleasure to stay on them! A nice stop at Zachary's for lunch which was fairly busy with sledders, and a fuel up then headed back. We met up with the TP groomer on 64 and it was almost unfortunate to ride the fresh ribbon! Jumped onto Sherbourne Lake and zipped down to HCSA 16, back to the TOPB and home. A nice ride and good company for the ride. Thank you J.H. and M.H.!

post-19777-0-69774400-1330706654_thumb.jpg

Ride route. All good trails for the day!

post-19777-0-86858600-1330706701_thumb.jpg

Fresh crisp wide trails TallPines 64

post-19777-0-53035600-1330706741_thumb.jpg

Rest stop..met the groomer just past here

post-19777-0-49403800-1330706784_thumb.jpg

The beauty of Winter!

Did that ride two weeks ago except we come home through russel landing and tall pines 62 over to hcsa trail 11. Did the whole loop. I hate going back home the same way.

Did that ride two weeks ago except we come home through russel landing and tall pines 62 over to hcsa trail 11. Did the whole loop. I hate going back home the same way.

That would have been a nice loop.

Was great. Trails were flat in the morning. It was family day weekend. How is the hay bridge holding up? Any moose their eating away?

Was great. Trails were flat in the morning. It was family day weekend. How is the hay bridge holding up? Any moose their eating away?

If you mean the excuse for a repair on Tr 4 just before you get to Horseshoe Lk. Rd. It is a nightmare. The hay is more like soup and the mud is thigh deep in the middle. I can not figure out why the club would not have put in a section of corduroy??? Hay might be fine for a small hole but a whole swamp?

Tr 4 is and always will be my least favorite trail. I have had the worst rides on there and more issues than anywhere else. The road running is ridiculous.

Thanks for the good post and map! Always helps to see a route in an area one is not familiar with. Looks like the kind of touring I would do - follow the sled's nose! Most times I don't mind doing the same stretch of trail once out and once back - each side of the trail looks different. :D

Maybe wood chips would work better than hay fixing the hole to which you refer, but hay is probably handier and is environmentally friendly. For a corduray section, you would probably need a series of permits etc.

Thanks Slomo. I don't know about the permits for a corduroy section? You might be right! I dunno.. I have seen other places where hay bales were staked into the ground, end to end, and then at least the water was restricted from flowing everywhere. This hole has a couple bales of hay just thrown into the middle??? Really doing nothing. Wood chips is a great idea..and would rot by the Summer. Came from the ground and back to the ground.

It is a real bummer on this trail though!

Yes on trail 4 on the north side. There isn't any road running on that section, I took it for something different. I skipped through it, lucky I seen it in time.

Archived