Trip advice for Thursday February 23

carman80

I am looking to take my dad for his first day ride tomorrow. Looking to do 100km in morning, good lunch, and 100km in afternoon. I was thinking Sunridge or Huntsville as staging area. Any advice on best place to leave truck and trailer, best route, best place for gas and lunch, and best trail conditions would be appreciated. Again, it is his first long ride and I want to get him hooked so I'm looking for smooth wide trails with lots of snow and great scenery.

Thanks in advance,

Carman80

Hi Carman: I would suggest that you head to the Information Centre at Emsdale - just north of Huntsville. You can stage from there and do a nice loop. Take D123 (just up the road about 50 ft from driveway to info centre) and head south to D (1 km approx) - take D East towards Kearney and stay on D and head to Sundridge. Take AL306 into Sundridge and across Lake Bernard (staked) to Casswells for lunch. Then take C104D towards Magnetawan and pick up 711 South to 706 - D-123 South and back to the Info Centre. That's quite a long day - but you could make it shorter and just come back south from Sundridge and back track across lake to D123 South all the way back which would be shorter if your Dad has had enough at that point. There is also gas in Sundridge - NO GAS in Magnetawan FYI. The trails up there have been awesome and should be nicely groomed for this upcoming weekend! Enjoy your day!

Does that route take us near the ice caves? He really likes the scenery more then the riding and I hear they are pretty amazing.

Does that route take us near the ice caves? He really likes the scenery more then the riding and I hear they are pretty amazing.

Yes - they are just off D Trail north of Kearney as you enter the Almaguin Highlands SC ...you take AL301 off D and follow approx 18kms to end - then cross the ice and the caves are on the other side. You can't miss all the sled tracks across to them. There is only 1 way in and then back out again. I would suggest if you are planning to visit there...then you might find it too long a day to head to Sundridge - just not sure how you ride.

You could visit the Ice Caves then continue up D to AL303 into Edgewater Park Lodge for lunch....then back out to D North to AL304 to D123 back to Info Center. It is a bit shorter day - but scenic. The 300 trails of the ADSC are usually awesome! Enjoy your day wherever you ride! I would suggest getting a "local" map of the ADSC trails if you can - it is better than the interactive map for sure!

were launching at the visitor center tommorrow morn and going in whatever direction the skis point and back again to the trailer , probably edgewater for lunch and ckeck out the 300 series

were launching at the visitor center tommorrow morn and going in whatever direction the skis point and back again to the trailer , probably edgewater for lunch and ckeck out the 300 series

Got about 3 inches of fresh snow today...and about 2 inches yesterday......trails should be SWEEEEEEEEET tomorrow :drool-1: Have a great Ride! :icon_photo:

will drop at pt sydney ultramar by 7ish..will see if we can make lunch call at edgewater...not sure of route either

Thanks Giddy for the update , I was a liitle leary on what I might see in the morn , I will have the digi with me

MM

We had an awsome weekend riding the Tall Pines /Algonquin trails last weekend. The best ride was the Troutspawn/ Livingstone lake loops. They were not busy , but flat .All lakes were staked and a short trip in Dorset for fuel and food. or head over to Ox Narrows

here is a couple pics of our ride we did today in Kearney , there was some new snofall there and most of it has been groomed up , there is a huge difference between Bracebridge and Kearney , our trails here our looking grimm

SAM_0318.jpg

SAM_0321.jpg

SAM_0322.jpg

SAM_0323.jpg

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Great pics MM!!! Heading out tomorrow for a nice ride before the weekend warriors arrive. Traffic has been extremely heavy this year

the 123 up to D was awsome today as was the 101 south , there was lots of sleds around today but the trails were holding up

Almaguin and highland rovers are some of the best riding areas ! Wish i was back up there now lol

Almaguin and highland rovers are some of the best riding areas ! Wish i was back up there now lol

Cottage available this coming weekend! LOL Over 30cms of fresh powder here....gonna be awesome riding this week!!

Archived