winter bicycles on snowmobile trail

luvsno

I just saw this on The Weather Network. http://www.theweathe...snow_01_02_2012

So of course my question is do they pay for a pass as the trail has been cleared, groomed and maintained. They would not be there if there was 2 feet of snow, what do you think? I know it's going to start a whole new debate but someone is going to get killed if I come around the corner and they are in the middle like they are when they ride in packs side by side on the road. I was taught by Sargeant Yackuchuk that bicycles are supposed to follow in single file. I just watched it again and it sure looks like snowmobile tracks on that trail. If anyone knows of a special trail for this in Gravenhurst let us know.

I caught up to a MTBer on the E108 about a mile east of the Port Perry clubhouse. At 1st I thought it was someone on a dirt bike due to the wide tire track (wider than the typical MTB tire). It was during a weekday afternoon & there wasn't a lot of traffic. Not sure if this rider would know enough to stay off the trails during the weekends.

I know a cyclist over in the Gravenhurst/Bracebridge area that does some winter cycling. Not sure if he risks the sled trails or not.

I'm w/ you on not agreeing w/ other users/user groups freeloading on the OFSC trails, but I think if it was addressed, it might open a big can of worms. Mind you if a trespasser was hurt, the club & OFSC might be liable due to them not taking steps to prevent the trespassing. Should the onus be put on the landowner to put a stop to the cycling? Who knows it could be a neighbour/friend/family member of the landowner that is cycling on the trail.

could you imagine if we rode a sled on there trails

could you imagine if we rode a sled on there trails

I wonder what the conditions are like down on the KNSC XC ski trails south of Apsley :evil: ?

I think all of us have passed skiers on the sled trails. I'm not sure if there is anything to be gained (especially PR wise) if the OFSC was to start a war w/ non-sledders on the trails. I don't think there would be a lot of public sympathy for the OFSC's stance.

Could be a multi-use trail he is on.

E106 and Club trail 1 in Prince Edward County are both multi-use trails, which means you have to be ready to share it with bikes, horses, cross country skiers, and just about everyone else other than ATV who are alowed in the summer.

The clubs may groom it and keep it sled ready but they have to alow other non-motor powered uses on it still.

silly twats...wait for spring...we gotta wait for winter....dumb-asses..haha-and i thought all i had to watch out for was deer......

We ran across half a dozen of these bikes on a trail last Sunday. We were somewhere between gravenhurst and bala. Given who our lead dog was, I'm not sure we weren't on a bike path.

unless it's a shared use public trail, kick em off now, it's trespassing and if allowed to continue someone will get hurt better to be pro active than reactive, bikes have lots of places to ride why do they feel justified in needing more of my trails to ride

Could be a multi-use trail he is on.

E106 and Club trail 1 in Prince Edward County are both multi-use trails, which means you have to be ready to share it with bikes, horses, cross country skiers, and just about everyone else other than ATV who are alowed in the summer.

The clubs may groom it and keep it sled ready but they have to alow other non-motor powered uses on it still.

The Seguin and the Rosepoint are multi use as well. Sleds are exclusive motorized in winter but all non motorized are allowed.

As has been pointed out, they could be on multi - use trails. There are lots of them around. Also, before anybody beaks off, you just never know who the land owner is! About three years ago I spotted an ATV on HCSA 4 near Baker Lake. I followed him for a bit and was going to give him the "you idiot" speech, when he pulled over and was checking sap lines and a drainage tank for the sap. So...it was either his property or he had permission. I was not gong to start a lecture after seeing that.

Least of my worries,these are trails a person should be ready for anything at all times,fallen trees,animals,people , rocks that could be kicked up by the groomer( in early season),the speed limit is 50km to allow for approiate reaction time and some trails are on crown land which is multi use.

We ran across half a dozen of these bikes on a trail last Sunday. We were somewhere between gravenhurst and bala. Given who our lead dog was, I'm not sure we weren't on a bike path.

That was Snowcrest trail 9 we were on Monkey boy. It's actually a non maintained road so I suspect they had the legal right to be there. They were courteous and moved to the side to let us pass but I wouldn't want to come around a blind corner and meet a pack of them head on.

"What is bicycle bowling for 1000 Alex?"

There are indeed a number of multi-use trails out there. While the snowmobile clubs probably do the most amount of maintenance on these trails we need to show a little respect for others on those trails. I see people out walking their dogs and occasionally people on horeseback. These are animals that can be startled and become unpredictable. Usually those walking their dogs go off the trail and wait for us to pass. Most sledders I see slow down and pull to the far opposite side of the trail for the moment it takes to pass them. It amazes me though the number of sledders who just fly by and not even giving these people any comfort space.

That film clip looked like the "Leo Trail" a multi-use trail that runs from town down an abandoned rail line to Muskoka Bay.

As Doonut said, we passed them on trail 9 and all their vehicles (with bike racks) were parked at the road.

As Doonut said, we passed them on trail 9 and all their vehicles (with bike racks) were parked at the road.

I'm sure you did but there is nothing to say the film clip may have been taken on a different day at a different time and part of it looks like the Leo Trail.

Part of it looks like a road too.

That was Snowcrest trail 9 we were on Monkey boy. It's actually a non maintained road so I suspect they had the legal right to be there. They were courteous and moved to the side to let us pass but I wouldn't want to come around a blind corner and meet a pack of them head on.

"What is bicycle bowling for 1000 Alex?"

WOW! That was a road?? Hate to drive that at night. :dontgo:

WOW! That was a road?? Hate to drive that at night. :dontgo:

Known locally as the Old Bala road or the Settlement road. That ws originally 169 long before there was a 169.

Imagine that being the only route from gravenhurst where the trains stopped to bala.

Known locally as the Old Bala road or the Settlement road. That ws originally 169 long before there was a 169.

Imagine that being the only route from gravenhurst where the trains stopped to bala.

Is this near the Torrance Barrens? If it was my friend was probably in that group :blush: . When I've MTBed over @ the Barrens in the summer, I recall seeing OFSC trail signs. I've heard him mention the Old Stone Road in that area too.

The Barrens is similiar to the slickrock in Moab Utah.

New Member last night.....

http://ontarioconditions.com/forums/index.php?/user/22518-egggman/

Welcome to Ontario Conditions, eggman ! Interesting to see the video and catch a little bit of the story. Winter recreational, most usually on sleds, is something we all enjoy here but other recreational activities are interesting to us as well. So much better than sitting inside and grumbling about the season. What more can you tell us about winter cycling ?

Seen bikes and horses on trails

Just use common sense and respect and move on

As for quads ? pull up cut them off or slow down and roost the crap out of them!!!

Archived