What to do when sledders catch up to you on the trails!

Evil

When sledders catch up to you on the trails!  

78 members have voted

1. 1. What do you do when a group of sledders catches up to you on the trail?

• Do you pull over or slow down and wave them thru to pass you?
    • Do you wait till you get to a stop and then allow them to go ahead?
    • Do you make them stay behind you forever?

I pull over when i notice someone behind me in the mirrors. I remember being stuck behind slow pokes it sucks. Most sledders wave or nod a thanks as they go by. The odd cowboy dressed usually in yellow can be a bit rude about it but I usually find them wrapped around a tree or rode off the trail further down the trail.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Geeezz, you guys must be old and slow if people are catching up to you. Even STG does not have people catch up to him...

Dem dar fyten word boy!! :nana:

Hey Evil,

I really appreciated how you pulled tight right to let me by you were going slower than me. :-P

(miss you ! )

Actually STG...........................................I was stopped! :headbang:

Miss you too! :blush:

I have a glove mirror. it works amazing. We never have anyone come up on us, but at least you can see if one of your followers is missing before you get 20 miles ahead.

I love my glove mirror! It's usually the group with mirrors on their sled that don't see you behind them.

If people come up behind us we pull over to tight to the right and slow down to let them pass as soon as the trail is wide enough for them to do it safely. If we know the trail is going to be narrow for quite a distance we will often pull over completely and stop to let them pass. It is amazing however that there are often many in such a hurry that that they will race past you on blind turns or trails so narrow that they manage to clip your skis. Passing as you tried sounds like the way to do it. To be an ass and endanger everyone by not letting others pass is just that being an ass.

And people wonder why we have so many accidents like were encountered on the weekend.

Wish I had a sled with one of those push bars like the OPP have on the front of the cruisers. Imagine the message that could convey! :furious3:

Geeezz, you guys must be old and slow if people are catching up to you. Even STG does not have people catch up to him...

I feel older then I really am, but some days usually in the summer I feel like a spring chick, LOL

I pull over when i notice someone behind me in the mirrors. I remember being stuck behind slow pokes it sucks. Most sledders wave or nod a thanks as they go by. The odd cowboy dressed usually in yellow can be a bit rude about it but I usually find them wrapped around a tree or rode off the trail further down the trail.

Well I know a few that that could possibly be :nana:

If I'm with a slow group I will pull over to the right when safe to do so but 99% of the time the guys I ride with travel at such a high rate of speed that no one is catching us.

A little rub from the left/right ski to there track usually gets there attention along with some excitment.... :nana::hyper:

We're pretty much the same as you evil, we don't get caught hardly but when we do I pull over right away. I prefer our own pace. We haven't had too much trouble but the odd time we get stuck behind people.

We were in quebec as well. Had a few issues so only made it to almost Ville Marie and went back. Trails are nice. We are already planning a weekend trip over there next year.

Wish I had a sled with one of those push bars like the OPP have on the front of the cruisers. Imagine the message that could convey! :furious3:

I just about was able to run my ski tip up the snow flap of the Citation LS that I followed north of PS.

I've been looking at installing a small front-mounted heat-seeking missile for these trail-hogging slow-pokes. Maybe I'll get two so I can also equip my van for those hwy 400 lane spoilers going 100 clicks in the left lane.

I pull over when I get to a spot that allows me room and those passing a safe view of the trail ahead.

Kerry

Got stuck behind a couple of slow pokes for over 15 kms going through Algonquin Park hydro field on Saturday. They would speed up just enough in the open areas to make passing dangerous so we didn't try. GRRR! I don't believe the lead guy was doing this deliberately, he just never noticed us. Honestly, I'd be afraid to ride with someone that clueless. To his credit, he did move over when he finally figured it out.

And then there's the guy on the rail bed east of Whitney bouncing along on an old sled on the wrong side of the trail. When we came up on him, he made sure to ride left of centre to make passing impossible. Seriously, what is that point of that? :wacko:

Our m.o. is to let people by as soon as it's safe to do so. It's not up to us to regulate another sledder's speed.

Next time try and get up beside them on their right and hit their kill switch!

Evil, Great to hear from you!

It does not happen too often, but, if I see riders in my mirrors, I will either stop or slow down as soon as I get to an area that is not blind and let them pass. I do not need to slow them down and I do not want them to pass me when it is unsafe out of frustration.

However, I have caught groups of riders where they are oblivious to us being behind them, or worse, they know we are behind them and will not let us pass. We were herding Cats in the Bancroft ride when one of them had a problem and stopped, as did his two buddies behind him. We passed and the rider in front of me kept looking back but did not stop. The leader of their group stopped at least twice at intersections and looked back and then continued. I figure we must have traveled at least 20 - 30 Km before we got by when they stopped for a break. I imagine that they probably had to wait a while for the three that had stopped!

What gets me is the arrogance of those that hold you up and show no consideration ! I respect thier right to travel at thier pace please allow me to pass when safe if you dont I may hit you .( Ceyhoopers taught me that)

That's exactly the way I think, drive the speed you want, I'll drive the speed I want!

They catch on when the snowflap sounds like a card in a bicycle wheel

LMAO!

I sled at a thousand miles an hour with my hair on fire anyways.

Archived