MUSKOKA LAKES CONDITIONS FEB 2012...BAD!

Mcthumper

I agree. I would give it another week of cold before I even considered venturing back out on it. There we some pretty nasty pressure cracks that had started on Sunday in spots on lake muskoka

Should be great after it gets more cold weather. Been a decent ice making year. Every thaw will strengthen the ice by wiping the snow off.

How's Gravenhurst doing, I see they are still limited.

Anyone check out the lake this past weekend? I am hoping it will be safe by Family Day weekend.

Anyone check out the lake this past weekend? I am hoping it will be safe by Family Day weekend.

which lake? Muskoka is great, but not sure about top of joe...the usual bad areas...

2 inches is not enough

Did Mother Christmas tell you that?

which lake? Muskoka is great, but not sure about top of joe...the usual bad areas...

Muskoka.

Muskoka Lake staked yet?

Muskoka Lake staked yet?

Nope. They stopped staking 7 years ago. Trails only go around the lake now.

Nope. They stopped staking 7 years ago. Trails only go around the lake now.

I was on Lake Muskoka last year and it was staked. Even though OFSC goes around them, somewhere still staked the lake.

Just want to confirm Lake Muskoka is safe??

I am planning on going up next long weekend.

Anyone cut a hole recently and know the thickness of the ice?

Anything will help.

Here is what one poster put on this site. Doesn't sound good at all. No Lake Muskoka, Rosseau nor Joseph for me!!!

Posted 10 February 2012 - 07:19 PM

Ice is considered NOT SAFE outside of the small and side-bays.

Measurements are fluctuating between no ice and about 12 inches...bubblers are joined up along shores,creeks are running.

The ice is VERY unstable and VERY unpredictable.

PArts of Bala Bay are open,around Kettles is open...lots of shell ice...some is now being covered with a dusting of snow.

Ice fishermen have been moving their huts in....normally they would be going further out now.

Go another route.....the 3 big lakes are not good.

Just want to confirm Lake Muskoka is safe??

I am planning on going up next long weekend.

Anyone cut a hole recently and know the

thickness of the ice?

Anything will help.

Have to know where you are going. Unless you follow someone that knows the lake well, I wouldn't advise going.

Ya, my cousins buddy has a cottage on an island. We went last year.

Here is what one poster put on this site. Doesn't sound good at all. No Lake Muskoka, Rosseau nor Joseph for me!!!

Posted 10 February 2012 - 07:19 PM

Ice is considered NOT SAFE outside of the small and side-bays.

Measurements are fluctuating between no ice and about 12 inches...bubblers are joined up along shores,creeks are running.

The ice is VERY unstable and VERY unpredictable.

PArts of Bala Bay are open,around Kettles is open...lots of shell ice...some is now being covered with a dusting of snow.

Ice fishermen have been moving their huts in....normally they would be going further out now.

Go another route.....the 3 big lakes are not good.

That was LAST year. Check the date in the post. It might be better this year, but I don't know. Let's see if a LOCAL chimes in.

Lake Muskoka is in good shape besides the foot and a half of snow to power through. I have been on it for the last 3 weeks. Conditions can change quickly, so be alert.

(null)

besides the foot and a half of snow to power through.

That sounds like more of an advantage than an impediment! :)

Ice is so often just plain uncertain. I stick to the stake lines and even at that keep my eyes open for signs of poor ice. Even being cautious doesn't always work. Saturday walking across about 175' feet of ice from shore to my friends cottage on the island one foot went through the ice. Dropped to my knee about 15 feet from the island shoreline. The ice was real thin. About 10 feet to the side of where the one leg went through was 6 inches of ice. The week before there was considerably more.

The water is chilly this time of year and reaffirmed for me that I will never participate in one of those polar bear events.

That was LAST year. Check the date in the post. It might be better this year, but I don't know. Let's see if a LOCAL chimes in.

Oooooooooooooooooops sorry.

Oooooooooooooooooops sorry.

No problem. It is an easy mistake to make.

• 2 weeks later...

There is a ton of slush up on lake joe around hammer bay, right down to stills bay. I would be pretty careful if you do decide to venture out.

Lake Muskoka also has a lot of slush but is not quite so bad.

(null)

Archived