What has been your best sledding accessory?

Fred Quimby

usually don't bring my gps with me I know where i am going in the area i ride will take for unfamilar areas though, my favorite accessorys would have to be my hid headlights or my yamaheater warm hands controller thought the curve xs skis actually make the yammy handle like its on rails

eveni if you know your trails a GPS can save your bacon... you break down and use your cell phone to call for help. If you can give the OPP your exact GPS coordinates they know exactly how to get to you

GPS is almost a must have. Ever been out on a lake that you know in a good storm??? GPS will always get you home.

GPS is almost a must have. Ever been out on a lake that you know in a good storm??? GPS will always get you home.

In 87 got lost on Big Boshkung and went swimming at Beech river.. GPS was not readily available then but would have helped.

Block and tackle and 150 feet of parachute cord. Sure beats trying to drag a sled UP a stee hill when ya burry it boondocking.

I bought a small boat trailer winch from Princess Auto. Try pulling a stuck 4 stroke out.

In 87 got lost on Big Boshkung and went swimming at Beech river.. GPS was not readily available then but would have helped.

It's a wicked lake in a snow storm. You almost never know where you are and with the Beech river, Buttermilk, and Buckslides all flowing in...the ice can be tricky. You are luck the area around the Beech is shallow.

For STG his little buddy Bob might be his favorite accesory

Or the hard shell cases that don't 'bruise' the gin. :D

I have seen guys who carry winches and come-a-longs. They are often heavy, and don't work all that great if you are really stuck.

Try a simple 3:1 rigging system. All you need is some decent rope, a couple climbing pulleys, some prusik cord, and a couple carabiners. All can be bought at MEC. With this system one person could pull a really heavy object.

See below:

Don't get too wrapped up in the article..look specifically at the diagram on the last page, in the middle. Very easy, light, and can be stowed in a pouch all pre-assembled.

http://www.rescuedyn.../Pulley3to1.pdf

Lots of good ideas here. Basic tools, multi-tool, electrical tape, LED flashlight, tow straps, all the basics. We added SKINZ hand guards a couple of years ago when it was REALLY cold. Even with good mitts (I don't like gloves) and heated grips, hands can get cold. These things work very well for us, wouldn't ride without them.

Gps, what will you do when the battery dies and have no idea where you are??? Should always have maps as well. It is handy if you come to a road or intersection that is in marked. I just turn mine on when I need to verify something. As far as studs go, can't see why I would need them with today's awesome winter tracks.

Gps, what will you do when the battery dies and have no idea where you are??? Should always have maps as well. It is handy if you come to a road or intersection that is in marked. I just turn mine on when I need to verify something. As far as studs go, can't see why I would need them with today's awesome winter tracks.

If it isn't powered by the sled, it is rechargeable from the sled. And it must operate for at least 16 hours on battery before requiring a recharge. This is just a minimum requirement that I have for any electronics on my sled. Even the SPOT will run for at least that long, sending tracking and running from NiMH batteries.

Just my 2 cents.

If it isn't powered by the sled, it is rechargeable from the sled. And it must operate for at least 16 hours on battery before requiring a recharge. This is just a minimum requirement that I have for any electronics on my sled. Even the SPOT will run for at least that long, sending tracking and running from NiMH batteries.

Just my 2 cents.

From what I have read about your accessories...you must have a set of dilithium cryatals from Star Trek to power your gear! But a man after my own heart. I too carry an array of supplies and electronics as I would rather have them and never need them, over not having something and needing it. I have enough to survive a night outside, and then some.

geez thought it was your best/favorite acc. there's lots of things you can carry for convience/safety, as far as the most basic oh crap stuff, got a couple lighters and fire starter in a zip lock bag, zip ties extra tools, always have maps , tow ropes booster cables and at least one riding partner unless i am walking distance to the house

I power it from the sled normally and then have Lithium Batteries as backup, plus spare batteries. Maps are also required, but the GPS is a life saver.

I have seen guys who carry winches and come-a-longs. They are often heavy, and don't work all that great if you are really stuck.

Try a simple 3:1 rigging system. All you need is some decent rope, a couple climbing pulleys, some prusik cord, and a couple carabiners. All can be bought at MEC. With this system one person could pull a really heavy object.

See below:

Don't get too wrapped up in the article..look specifically at the diagram on the last page, in the middle. Very easy, light, and can be stowed in a pouch all pre-assembled.

http://www.rescuedyn.../Pulley3to1.pdf

I use 4 pulley blocks, a combination of caribeaners, some webbing straps tied into various length loops and 5/16" parachute cord. I can lift a 500 plus pound sled off the ground with one hand. It can be rigged in multiple ways for leverage or length, weighs about 2 pounds and fits in one freezer bag in my tunnel bag along with the kitchen sink :)

Archived