2012 Season - Lake Joe is NOT SAFE!!

Mcthumper

Lake Joe is,for the most part,still far from safe.

I've had my drill out in severall spots in the south end(below Bass Pickerel Perch) and it runs from 4" to 8".

Lots of springs along the westerish side making the 4"s even less,but I know where most of 'em are and dn't go there;)....surprising tho small little shove running from north of Sherwood down to the nunnery.

Was open water outside of the narrower bays north of BPP till 7 dys ago....we have had not alot of cold,and a little snow to insulate what little ice there was....still a few little open bits between the eastern islands around Chiefs etc.

No....not even close to safe. And now we are getting a high of 8c with rain for monday.

DId I mention the S+R chopper that lifted off from Bass Lake lot with ambulance in waiting on wednesday afternoon?

Harumphhh!

Lived on this lake for 55 years...and I aint goin out on it yet...and neither are my neighbors.

I know my lake....and it's currents,springs and winds make it very unpredictable.

We tried a few holes a week ago by Cameron island for some work , agree 100% with you , NOT safe , the forecast is not promising for ice making

I've had my drill out in severall spots in the south end(below Bass Pickerel Perch) and it runs from 4" to 8".

Lots of springs along the westerish side making the 4"s even less,but I know where most of 'em are and dn't go there;)....surprising tho small little shove running from north of Sherwood down to the nunnery.

Was open water outside of the narrower bays north of BPP till 7 dys ago....we have had not alot of cold,and a little snow to insulate what little ice there was....still a few little open bits between the eastern islands around Chiefs etc.

No....not even close to safe. And now we are getting a high of 8c with rain for monday.

DId I mention the S+R chopper that lifted off from Bass Lake lot with ambulance in waiting on wednesday afternoon?

Harumphhh!

Lived on this lake for 55 years...and I aint goin out on it yet...and neither are my neighbors.

I know my lake....and it's currents,springs and winds make it very unpredictable.

This man knows what he is talking about stay clear of Lake Joe yet. I usually wait until I see the construction roads go in this lake is not predictable.

Doesn't look good .....we may not get on it at all this year.

Not a single track across from me.... besides my own...and I really was kinda nervous;)

Just hope folks pay attention to the dates on these posts...maybe a mod should clear last year's posts?

It's rare but not unheard of.....Construction roads into April one year,and then there was the year we delivered stuff to an island in early february....by boat.

Neighbor John wandered down in front of his place tuesday only to axe thru on his 2nd or 3rd stroke....and that had been covered for 3+ weeks.

STAY OFF LAKE JOE!!!!!!

We went out from Carlingford launch , all the islands and Bouys were big time thin , staying off there , too bad as there is lots of work there for us

Wow, that really does suck for Bass Lake Restaurant. Years ago we use to run that trail at least a couple times a year. I really did enjoy it. I don't like lakes. Only lakes I will run have to be staked for at least a week or I don't go. Good posts by you though for the ones that like to run lakes

Harumphhh!

Your reference to BPP is where?????

"Your reference to BPP is where?????"

BPP are Bass,Pickerel and Perch Islands.....the 3 little ones about a mile north of Sherwood Inn,and a couple south of Footes Bay.....they sorta make the delineation of the wide part of the lake to the north and the narrow bit(Pachanga Channel;) to the south.U can see this line and the islands from the end of Redwood Rd.

Always a good barometer of the different ice conditions on this lake.....the south end can be frozen over for weeks before the top is.

SOme years we can sled the south,and never get to the top for the whole season.

The dangerous part is many who do not live here figger once the south is good,so is the north.

This is rarely true!

Always scares me when I see folks bombing off to Stills bay and Bass Lake house,tho the south has been good for a while,but I KNOW the north has been covered for only a day or two....and that happens most every year.

Not this year....yet..no one has been out there...me and my kids are often the first....and if folks are waiting on us to get out there,they are gonna be sittin' for a while;)

I can see a few spring-holes from my window off the north-west shore.....and that's where the better ice is.Bubblers are huge too.

Judging by the fact my creek is running now(hard) and all that rain yesterday...spring holes everywhere...added to the not so very cold 14 day forecast.....I think we might be done.

Folks tend to forget a couple things,and they affect this lake more than the other 2 big ones....there is so much water moving around in the bush this year from all the fall rains...and this lake is fed by springs....millions of them...with a high water table like we have now,the springs are pushing warm water up from the bottom like crazy.

DId I mention the currents?

Another good indicator of general ice health and prospects is Bala Falls.

Looked,on saturday, like late March down there!..Thunderin' Jayzus today I bet;)

Apologies if this sounds like grade 3....but there are just too many folks who think they know what they are doing out there...too many weekend warriors who ain't got a clue what they are talking about.

And this lake is different....very different.

Heck...I talked to an older neighbor the other day...he's gotta be 80 or close to it....sledded here from the beginning.......he was happy to hear we had 4-5 inches off the dock...said he 'should' be able to make it around Blackrock....so even the vetrans are getting itchy thumbs.^ inches off the dock can also mean 1 1/2 out there...somewhere.

He might make it...but he goes so slow now on that 4stroke....... ;)))

Thanks for the clarification. Always knew those islands as the 3 sisters for some reason. I run mainly Muskoka and Rosseau with a few annual trips to BLH for wings and rings. Doesn't look too good for doing that this year though. Probably no need to try the ice caves on bohemia this year either. No snow = no ice caves. :(

An uncle of mine owned one of them for several decades....dont think they ever had a "name".

But...we have always refered to another group as the Three Sisters...

Faith,Hope and Charity....just on the south outside corner of Footes Bay.

I have split this topic from the outdated topic from last season. I have made a few edits to help the message flow.

This is good information!!! Please stay safe and do not go out on any lake that has not been 100% safe!

Thanks for the good information McThumper. Welcome to the Forum!!

I have split this topic from the outdated topic from last season. I have made a few edits to help the message flow.

This is good information!!! Please stay safe and do not go out on any lake that has not been 100% safe!

Thanks for the good information McThumper. Welcome to the Forum!!

More censorship

:icon_tinykitball:

More censorship

:icon_tinykitball:

Bite me!! :nana:

No cold weather in site, it is best to avoid large lakes this year. I am hoping things will change in a few weeks, but I doubt it.

A friend of mine has a scoot. He figures he will have better luck with that this weekend. I know ATV's aren't aloud on trails but what about a scoot... they don't leave ruts. :lmao:

I hate to say it boys...but in all my years on this lake,I have to....we're done.

There will be no sledding on Lake Joe this year.

Now don't start all this "But Thumper!...there's still weeks left in winter!!!..How could you!!!" crap.

Been there... done that.

Save it for the groundhogs.

The weather forum guys booted me outa their domain a few weeks ago when I said this was gonna happen;)

There is also a large section of Lake Muskoka that got torn out by the wind a couple nights ago,same as the pic above.

I haven' seen it as yet,but I would suspect that wide part of Rosseau south of the RM marker is likely gone or going too.

Yer enemy this time is the wind...and bubblers.

Ice fisher-folk will be gettin the boats ready for opening on the 14th.Probly a safer way to fish anywhere on the big lakes this year.

Archived