Conditions?

sledjunk

Yes I left it there many times rather than run that dry road trail through Searchmont. Now without any bypass trail, I can't run to Chapleau. I did get to Halfway this weekend. 3 to 4 feet of powder. It was a blast! Round trip 140 miles from Chapleau with 5 water crossings and cut 4 trees out of the trails to get through.

Scott

There is that much snow at Halfway?

What doo you mean - no by-pass trail?

You rode back to Chap?

Not enough petro to go to Wawa?

Lots better fuel economy backtracking eh?

There is that much snow at Halfway?

My boy dug down to dirt and jumped in. It was up to his chest. This was in a tight trail so no blowing. On some open areas it was only 2 to 3 feet with some drifts much deeper.

What doo you mean - no by-pass trail?

The trail that bypasses Whitman Dam Rd. is not being groomed this year. The road is being scraped down to dirt for logging so the first 20 miles are only good just after a snow. I refuse to drive out to the end and leave my truck and trailer for 4 days, plus it is a big trailer and hard to get turned around and find a spot out of the way of all the logging trucks. The bypass still has the 5 miles of dry road from the trading post to it's start which is the same normal problem we have had to contend with for many years. By starting from Wabos, i could pickup the bypass trail and leave my rig in a safe place.

You rode back to Chap?

From Chapleau at Valentine Farms B&B and then back. We love it there !!! It is "ON" the trail just south of the river crossing.

Not enough petro to go to Wawa?

We left our stuff back at Valentine's so had to go back, but the Cat 1100 Turbos got about 14 miles/gal. while the Crossfire 1000 got 9 miles/gal. We had plenty of gas left when we got back to the ESSO. The Turbo Cats had 4 liters of fuel left and we had taken an extra 15 liters with each sled that we did not use after running the 145 miles round trip. The Crossfire 1000 has a 2 gallon bigger tank to start and also used a 7.5 liter can on the trail. the 4-strokes did way better and now we are thinking about running the loop from Dub. to Dub through Halfway.

Lots better fuel economy backtracking eh?

That is why we think we can make it now! half the trip is done and only 50 miles to go to Anjigami intersection of the tracks and power line (Hydro).

Ox you would have loved it !

I am sure it is no longer the same after yesterday's RAIN.

My chumm has a turbo 1000 setting in Nebraska waiting to git picked up, which is waiting for snow in Col.

We were expecting to pick it up at New Yrs on our way out, but with no snow....

Then we found out a week later that the sled had JUST came in "today".

The bloody thing wasn't even delivered yet - had we even been there! :-o

He is thinking about heading to Duboise with some other chumms I guess, and would pick it up on that trip. Not sure I'm going then.

I expect my next to be a 4 stroke.

Not too sure about the turbo or not....

Not too excited about going to a newer chassis tho.

Not too sure they will take the landmines as well as mine.

Naw - I wouldn't have loved it. I aint up for the road riding at all.

I broke the 30 klicks (?) from the hydro over to the plowed rd near Pineal Lake back in '02 to doo reconasence (sp?) on the small hydro over there, to see if it was able to be used to make a link trail / groom.

I had to stop and get some toothpicks in my eyes to keep my lids from closing.

Just standing there @ 7200 rpm running gas through the motor. No challanges to be seen.... (yawn)

Had more fun pushing through the sapplings in the little hydro line. LOL! At least that had topography.

OxWhatHappened.jpg

Just not sure which way to go next ride. Take and load up the sleighs and camp out on the hydro and play out there in untracked for a few days, or head north and play on the north shore where they are having their "once in a decade" banner snow year, and hit some areas that are not able to be rode in many yrs and stay in a warm bed. ???

I wonder how the 16 klick detour (at the Cow) stood the early weather? We have spent a few days already, trying to git through the hydro there, but there is a serious hole in the ground in there to git around. (the reason for the long detour from the hydro) So it could be possible to either have a boat load of brushing to doo (without a power saw) or not be able to go N of the Cow, or very far S of the Montreal.

I doubt that section is anywhere as bad as the 3/7 trail in Wawa that we werked on earlier tho. Lots easier to pack a small chainsaw on the 4wheelers....

:wtf:

Ox we are heading just past Dubois Wy. to togwotee pass, leaving next friday staying out there a week. bring your kid and your chum, lets ride! ski

Well yes - they are lookin to ride Togwotee.

I've never been there before. I hear it is pretty docile. ???

However - I like the trees, and not the big hills anyway, so that prolly aint a big deal.

I really don't see being able to take that kinda time off.

My kid won't be riding aggin till early March till spring break.

So AC/Ya:

You would have taken the shorter of the two detours out in the bush as soon as you crossed the hydro. That one is aboot what _ 8 klicks I think?

That is from the Pineal Lake turnoff and up to the Montreal.

How was that one? Is that where you had your down trees?

So AC/Ya:

You would have taken the shorter of the two detours out in the bush as soon as you crossed the hydro. That one is aboot what _ 8 klicks I think?

That is from the Pineal Lake turnoff and up to the Montreal.

How was that one? Is that where you had your down trees?

I took what was the Temporary F trail for 2009 - 10 season and was always the "Wilderness Trail" to Chapleau from the Hydro Line about 8 miles south of Halfway. After I got my 2008 M8 Cat I started exploring and found that the "Wilderness" part just means nobody is using a groomer. Once the trail is broke, it is just another trail anyone can run with short tracks.

There was only one big tree down on that part, but it had four less than a foot deep water crossings. The other trees were along the D trail to Halfway. The trail was easier to see than i thought it might be in the Hydro areas. We only got stuck once on an uphill where we stopped for a tree. Had to give a pull to the first sled.

Did not go the Pineal Lake Rd. due to logging and a grader taking it to dirt to dry for the spring.

If you go straight at the Pineal Lake turnoff, the road becomes Toll Creek Road and shoots straight down to the D trail at then Hydro 20 miles south of the way we went into the D Trail.

Yeah - I know all about those open cricks in there. One of them did me in on our first ever time breaking trail into Halfway when the snow was really deep and really sticky! Splashed through one of the cricks and the next time I stopped the track "stuck" but broke loose when I went to move again. I was pretty sure the next time I stopped that would be the last time I would be stopping tho...

And it was! Froze solid underneath!

We made camp and chipped it out in the morning!

Whitman Dam to Aubrey Falls.

We parked at Whitman 26 last week and rode to Aubrey Falls via the Domtar and Ranger Lake Road for the last bit. Aubrey Falls Trading Post is open this winter (in blocks of time). The restaurant was open for a 4 day block (Thursday to Sunday). We called several days ahead to let them know we were coming and all worked out well. They were waiting for us. The Gas station was open as well. So, Aubrey Falls is open this winter, but check with them first (for restaurant).

Dan

Whitman Dam to Aubrey Falls.

We parked at Whitman 26 last week and rode to Aubrey Falls via the Domtar and Ranger Lake Road for the last bit. Aubrey Falls Trading Post is open this winter (in blocks of time). The restaurant was open for a 4 day block (Thursday to Sunday). We called several days ahead to let them know we were coming and all worked out well. They were waiting for us. The Gas station was open as well. So, Aubrey Falls is open this winter, but check with them first (for restaurant).

Dan

Hi Dan,

Did you park at the end of the plowed Whitman Dam Road ? Maybe the 26th Km out? If so, was there lots of room and how about getting turned around? I have a 12 meter long trailer so parking and turning is always a problem. They had snow last Thursday, but was Ranger Lake road plowed already to dirt at the end where you have to run it for a bit before the bridge over the river?

I have been wondering about the parking up there as i want to run to Chapleau direct.

Scott

Dan-Senior

Welcome to the forum! Hope you will continue to post information about your area and enjoy your time visiting here.

Hi Scott,

Yes, you are correct. We parked at Whitman Marker 26 (Saddle Lake Road Junction) and unloaded. There were about 15 vehicles parked in the parking area and along the side of the road. Almost everyone was courteous to leave enough room for trailers to manuvere, so you should be ok. We have been riding up that way for 3 weekends in a row and no problems to find parking. With your long trailer, you will likely need to park on the side of the road, once you get turned around and unloaded.

For Aubrey Falls: If you do not wish to ride the Ranger Lake road shoulder for the last 8 miles to highway 129, you can take the Mashagama Lake Road, which junctions off about 2 kilometres before the Ranger Lake / Domtar Road junction. The Mashagama Lake road runs on the north side of the lake and comes out on the OFSC trail further up the 129. Once you approach the OFSC trail, head south back towards the Aubrey Falls Trading Post, without having to ride any pavement.

We made an attempt to ride to Chapleau a few weeks ago from the Whitman Dam Road. (Saddle Lake - Whitman #26), All was fine on the Whitman, the Domtar and most of the Ranger NW until we got close to the Powerline at the top end of the Ranger NW. Like you said in your previous post, that whole section was down to the gravel. We continued on the Ranger NW heading east (riding gravel and the shoulder for about 5km) until we hooked up with Ranger North, then attempted some back trails through the bush to Versa Lake in hopes of catching the next set of side roads to go further up. Unfortunately, the skidder trail that we spotted on the map was too grown in to ride. We had approximately 1 kilometre to go and then would have made it the next set of connecting roads heading north. We suspected the road heading by Petroskey Lake was graded as well. The other side-road option that looked tempting was a skidder trail that would have lead us north to Sliver Lake and more roads beyond, but were not sure how to connect north to Nephic Lake or the Camp 16 Loop.

Perhaps someone has more information about this area. We were told ahead of time that the Island Lake and Pineal Lake roads were graded, so that is why we avoivded them.

Dan

The availibility of gas at Aubrey Falls is great news! (with the usual 'call ahead caveat')

The rest of the posts are 'go from this inuksuk to that inuksuk' for this city boy, but your passion for the area rings through.

Thanks.

Hi Scott,

Yes, you are correct. We parked at Whitman Marker 26 (Saddle Lake Road Junction) and unloaded. There were about 15 vehicles parked in the parking area and along the side of the road. Almost everyone was courteous to leave enough room for trailers to manuvere, so you should be ok. We have been riding up that way for 3 weekends in a row and no problems to find parking. With your long trailer, you will likely need to park on the side of the road, once you get turned around and unloaded.

For Aubrey Falls: If you do not wish to ride the Ranger Lake road shoulder for the last 8 miles to highway 129, you can take the Mashagama Lake Road, which junctions off about 2 kilometres before the Ranger Lake / Domtar Road junction. The Mashagama Lake road runs on the north side of the lake and comes out on the OFSC trail further up the 129. Once you approach the OFSC trail, head south back towards the Aubrey Falls Trading Post, without having to ride any pavement.

We made an attempt to ride to Chapleau a few weeks ago from the Whitman Dam Road. (Saddle Lake - Whitman #26), All was fine on the Whitman, the Domtar and most of the Ranger NW until we got close to the Powerline at the top end of the Ranger NW. Like you said in your previous post, that whole section was down to the gravel. We continued on the Ranger NW heading east (riding gravel and the shoulder for about 5km) until we hooked up with Ranger North, then attempted some back trails through the bush to Versa Lake in hopes of catching the next set of side roads to go further up. Unfortunately, the skidder trail that we spotted on the map was too grown in to ride. We had approximately 1 kilometre to go and then would have made it the next set of connecting roads heading north. We suspected the road heading by Petroskey Lake was graded as well. The other side-road option that looked tempting was a skidder trail that would have lead us north to Sliver Lake and more roads beyond, but were not sure how to connect north to Nephic Lake or the Camp 16 Loop.

Perhaps someone has more information about this area. We were told ahead of time that the Island Lake and Pineal Lake roads were graded, so that is why we avoivded them.

Dan

Hi Dan,

Island Lake Road had been plowed a while back, but had 2" to 6" depending, but after the rains it must have a good ice layer now. Then a little snow and you are good.

I wanted to run the D trail up to Toll Creek Road and then straight on Island Lake to Hwy 129. That is the quickest way to get back to North Trails and then go where ever you want. Chapleau is not showing open, but many are riding through. I saw 2 MNR riding the F trail last Saturday, but may have just been using it to get to lakes? Chapleau is groomed very nicely!

Thanks for the info.

Scott

For Aubrey Falls: If you do not wish to ride the Ranger Lake road shoulder for the last 8 miles to highway 129, you can take the Mashagama Lake Road, which junctions off about 2 kilometres before the Ranger Lake / Domtar Road junction. The Mashagama Lake road runs on the north side of the lake and comes out on the OFSC trail further up the 129.

I don't know about getting through to F anymore on that one anymore. ???

We usta go through there regularly, but the last time I went that way I was thinking that I musta, I musta, I musta got lost?

It got so tight as we went beyond the camp (N) that it seemed that it couldn't have been the same trail, but it brought us out in the right spot.

That has been ??? 5-6 yrs ago by now I bet. I can only imagine trying to git through there now... But yes - that will bring you out to F trail a few klicks N of Johnny's.

So the Whitman is not plowed past 26?

And the Domtar is not plowed (at the Whitman intersection anyhow) but Ranger NW is plowed?

Where are they comming in from to get there?

Chapleau? Via Toll Creek?

Are you sure the Domtar isn't plowed at the bottom and then up the Ranger N?

If so - there would be more graded rd to ride to Aubrey than just along Ranger Lake Rd.

On heavy snow yrs we ride up on "the wing" succesfully for many klicks at a time, but I don't think your gunna be in that kind of shape down there this yr.

Also - there would be many klicks of plowed to ride from the Domtar/Ranger N split down to that Mashagami rd too. (ass_u_ming that it is plowed?)

I see that the F Trail from Aubrey Falls to Chapleau just opened up to Limited ! This has changed several times since, so I am not sure what is correct anymore????? It is all limited again on my IPhone app. ?????

Chapleau also went green on the C101F for a ways east of town. I know that you can ride to Missanabie - West.

How much snow came after the rain on Monday ? anybody know first hand ?

• 2 weeks later...

We were in Aubrey Falls on Saturday (February 4th), coming in from the Elliot Lake side. Snow-depth was looking much better this time as compared to our last visit. We stopped for fuel and coffee, then rode the "F" north to the Ranger Lake road. From that point looking north towards Chapleau, where the bridge crosses the river, there is absolutely no traffic or tracks of any kind going north on the "F". In fact, the the trail is grown in. The good news is that we measured 18" of snow on the ground, but, we were still feeling the boulders under the tracks, which gives you a perspective of how rugged the terrain is, so this makes sense as to why the Chapleau grooming team need more snow on this trail.

The Aubrey Falls gas station was open for fuel. (go see Ray in the cabin left of the lodge building).

We also noticed the groomer came in from Echo Bay / Bruce Mines area and groomed to Aubrey Falls.

• 8 months later...

Aubrey Falls (gas) was an issue in years past, but I guess it was readily available last year?

No changes this year?

• 2 months later...

Was talking to Jean @ Black Creek Outfitters today. They got some good snow and have seen sleds coming through although the trails are not officially open yet.

She can do soup & sandwiches if you call ahead this season and they have gas. She said that the Aubrey Falls Trading Post is closed for this season (just north up the road a mile and on the F trail same as Black Creek Outfitters). (705) 841-2555

Thinks that she will see some grooming soon.

Anyone hear more about trails opening in this area? D106, the F trail toward Elliot Lake or north toward Chapleau?

I would like to ride from the Soo to Elliot Lake this weekend if D106 would open...............

• 2 weeks later...

Well no feedback and now after the warmup & rain some new snow and limited trails again in some places today around the Soo.

Any new info would be great..............

Thanks

All I know is the F trail won't be open anytime soon, since it needs a ton more snow yet. So that limits your riding to the east only.

Archived