(OLD) 2012 Conditions - St. Joes, Bruce Mines, Echo Bay See 2013 above

On My AXYS

See the new 2013 conditions post

We will be heading up in February.

Mostly Bruce Mines and St. Joes.

In Waterloo we have almost no snow. I can't wait to get to the great white north.

How is St. Joes doing. Did they get any snow yet?

Conditions are horrible around here. St Joes has very little snow..The water just started to freeze the last week and a half ago. Most trails are still closed with little or no snow on them. Hope conditions change soon....

Thanks Kyzer

Let's hope the Great White North turns white

Conditions are horrible around here. St Joes has very little snow..The water just started to freeze the last week and a half ago. Most trails are still closed with little or no snow on them. Hope conditions change soon....

Welcome back Kyser

It looks like the conditions are slowly changeing.

Bruce has started packing up past Rock Lake.

How are things around Echo Bay and St. Joe's?

Your right North Shore Sledder things are slowly getting better! We have had some snow and cold weather. I have not been to St. Joes Island so I can't comment on the conditions out there, but I am sure they are improving. Hopefully they are good for your trip here. Conditions in the Soo are good for sleds could use more snow but we are hoping...

North of Bruce Mines was listed as limited. Did the rain wash away the little snow they had?

at this point, i would assume so. another warm up on the way too. not good for anything south of montreal river. ski

The picture you see in my profile is me bogged down in the deep snow on the powerlive north of Bruce Mines.

we have not had that much snow since 2007-8

Are these anemic snowfall amounts the new normal?

It is great to see the trails opening up around Bruce Mines.

Has anybody been out that way for a first hand report?

Did St. Joes get any of that snow?

with it being almost 60 here in central lower michigan i can bet the snow depths took a beating in the soo today. ski

Hey Ski - Thanks for the response. That is funny - A guy from Southern Ontario is asking for local commentary around the Lake Huron North Shore area and a guy from Cetral Michigan responds

Keep it up - it is great to chat with someone who is as obsessed as I am

Your weather in Cetral Michigan is more like our wearther in Waterloo, ON

I don't think it got that warm in the Sault The Straits of MacKinac and the UP can act as a bit of a temperature curtain somtimes

Are you heading up that way?

I have a cottage east of the Sault where we stay and do day trips from there.We also have a lot fun fun boon docking and dodging the trees on the marshes and beaver ponds near by. There will also be snow in the bush and on the lakes etc.

But -

When the trails are nice it is spectacular.

We are heading up to the Sault in 21 days (Who's counting). It would be nice to have the trails opened and in good shape.

NSS

i live in central michigan but we ride the area north of the soo, so i keep close tabs on what is going on north of the bridge LOL!.... wawa, dub, manitouwadge, hornepayne, white river ect... mostly ride the trails to get to the play areas and ride mountain sleds bushwackin style.

we will be riding in northern ontario the last weekend of feb, then about every other weekend till april. gotta catch some pickerel through the ice. ski

gotta catch some pickerel through the ice.

ski

There are easier ways to get a fish dinner.

It is great to see the trails turning "green" on the interactive trail guide

Has anybody been down that way to see how Echo Bay, Bruce Mines, Thessalon survived the warm wether this week?

Conditions are not looking good at all... We have lost alot of snow that we had, and we didn't have much. Echo Bay, Bruce Mines also not in the best shape. Little snow and really mild weather in the forcast for the weekend is not helping...I havn't made it as far as Thessalon so I am not sure about there......

Thanks Kyzer

Here's to hoping for winter and snow to return. Everybody other than us sled heads loves this weather

I want Winter!

Has anybody been donw thessalon way? The interactive trail map (when it is working) shows the D Trail north and west to Bruce Mines as open. How much snow so they really have? Is there enough slider lube to run the trail?

I drove by Thessalon on Thursday Feb. 2nd and visually, there wasn't much snow on the ground. I stopped at my camp (Basswood) and In the driveway was maybe 5" in total. Not enough to ride on, so decided to continue driving to Elliot Lake where there was approximately 16". I trust you will find this information useful and am sorry to be the bearer of bad news in terms of lack of snow in Thessalon area. Not sure about Bruce Mines or Echo Bay. Perhaps someone else can provide those details.

Thanks Dan,

He are heading up next week and it is good to see the trails open.

Did they get any more snow down that way over the weekend?

Some of the trails on St. Joe's are listed as Yellow on the interactive trail guide.

Has anybody been on the Island recently?

Have they got some of that new snow?

Has it been cold enough to "tree line" it?

Drove through the area coming home on Monday. All of the trails that we could see from Hwy 17 looked pretty bare.

Once you get just a bit north of the highway coridor there is lots of snow. Was north of Thessalon and Bruce Mines Family day and it was great. Trailered to Basswood Lake Road about 5 km north of Thessalon on hwy129 and jumped on the D trail. The D south to Iron Bridge however needs quite a bit more snow to be doeable. North of Iron Bridge is not bad once you get past the flat rocks on the D134 south and north of the ret area. The EL3 & IB3 are pretty good , gotta start north to get there.

Archived