ALMAGUIN TRAILS OPEN THIS WEEKEND

Giddy UP

Just in time for the snow! Giddy UP!

2012 January 11th 8:53 am update

ADSC will be opening all our trails for the weekend, there should be no exceptions at this time. Groomers are and will be running full time. Trail conditions are improving daily, all swamps are frozen and also being groomed. ADSC 306 into Sundridge is open and packed but may be a week or so before we can groom it due to Lynch Lake.

Great News!!

Excellent!

Hopefully this is an indication that some of the other clubs will be opening up this weekend too.

I am thinking about going up this weekend? Anyone interested in joining me for a ride?

Plans are not finalized yet, but I am thinking of spending the weekend up there somewhere, probably Edgewater Resort, but not sure yet.

I am thinking about going up this weekend? Anyone interested in joining me for a ride?

Plans are not finalized yet, but I am thinking of spending the weekend up there somewhere, probably Edgewater Resort, but not sure yet.

Bring your woolies, SJ...forecast high for Burk's Falls area of -16C on Saturday, but at least it's supposed to be sunny.

2012 January 12th 4:49 PM update

We are Open

All ADSC trails are open with exception of ADSC 304. Both groomers are running and will run all weekend, all trails have been cleared and well packed and the majority groomed at this time. There may be a few short sections of the ADSC 306 into Sundridge that are packed and cannot be groomed till next week. Weather is looking real good so come and enjoy the weekend on the trails.

Trails are still fresh so drive carefully!!

Well, I am now booked at Edgewater. I will arrive late tonight.

Anyone want to hook up for a ride tomorrow or Sunday PM me.

Wish I'd known earlier ... already have plans for the weekend. :-( Definitely want to get some time on the sled before the Kelly Shires Ride in three weeks!

where is a good place in Kearny to launch to head over to D?

where is a good place in Kearny to launch to head over to D?

Hey, MM -- we usually just ride up from Huntsville, but since the closed trails between here and there preclude that at the moment, I'd suggest you park and drop behind the Kearney Community Centre. It's right at the "3 corners", where the main street meets Hwy. 518. I've seen lots of other sledders use that parking lot over the years.

Well, I am now booked at Edgewater. I will arrive late tonight.

Anyone want to hook up for a ride tomorrow or Sunday PM me.

Hey, SJ...sorry we couldn't join you this weekend, due to other commitments.

How are the conditions?...we might head up there sometime early in the coming week.

Thanks Irreverent I may try the trails at the first of the week myself, after some trail reports come back

Just got back from a ride around the Almaguin trails, they aren't too bad considering the lack of snow this winter but they are certainly limited and in need of much more snow up here. The new sections of D123 heading towards Pickeral Lake from Burks Falls really need more snow and so much road riding now that the Jacks Lake bridge and swamp heading towards PL has had to be re-routed. Damn, we loved that run through the swamp! Lots of sleds out there today but not nearly as many as I thought there would be. And no near misses on the hills or corners, you gotta like that!

Stopped at Whiskey Jacks for a bite to eat and was surprised to see only about a dozen sleds there, I am sure there were many more over at Edge Water but we didn't get that way.

Enjoy your weekend on the snow and stay safe.

You are right. Edgewater apparently served over 200 by the end of lunch Saturday.

Thanks for the report wannago. Think I might head up this Friday if the forcasted snow arrives. Anyone know if you can access the trail from Pikeral lake? used to go through the lodge property?

Also, was anyone up in the Lk Bernard area? wondering about ice conditions, any huts out yet? I'd think it should be stakeable after this cold snap.

Archived