High Mileage for a 4 Stroke Yammi

rippintheyammi

I have been hunting around for a deal on a 4 stroke Yamaha Phazer for my brother. I have come across an 07 with 14,000k on it. I would consider this to be a lot of kilometers but people say this is nothing for a 4 stroke. I still assume the usual wear and tear on clutches, suspension, skis etc. What are your thoughts on what I should pay and whether or not it would be wise to purchase? Thanks

My 4-stroke has 16 ,000 Ks on it and it works better than the day I bought it , under the hood in the belly pan it is spottles , no leaks or mess , I would buy another Yammie in a heart beat

Turned over 20K on my '07 last year. Still runs great.

I'm sure it's a fine machine, but didn't it bust a drive shaft last year or something? :hyper::poke2:

(OP was asking after reliability and part wear)

True, but at least the the driveshaft wasn't recalled 'out of the box' :poke2::poke2:

True, but at least the the driveshaft wasn't recalled 'out of the box' :poke2::poke2:

Good one.... I am guessing maybe OP should be asking about common wear problems on the machine. Everyone's engine seems to run well. I remember Canuck burning a bearing for which there was no way for it to be greased...stuff like that that could be potential problems on a sled of the mileage mentioned.

Good one.... I am guessing maybe OP should be asking about common wear problems on the machine. Everyone's engine seems to run well. I remember Canuck burning a bearing for which there was no way for it to be greased...stuff like that that could be potential problems on a sled of the mileage mentioned.

I may be able to help with those potential problems.

With that many miles I would(unless it was done recently:

• change out the bearing, or at least clean and re grease them.
  • Change the bushings in the A arms (NOT with stock bushing, but after market oilite bronze bushings)
  • Pull the skid and swap out bushings in the skid and grease/replace and bearings
  • Take apart the primary and secondary clutches and swap out and tiered springs or roller/buttons that may be needed.
  • I would change the spark plugs.

I don't think there has been many drive shaft failures on the phazers.

Have the updates been taken care of? Radiator fan, cold start kit, reverse shims ect. I think i am forgetting one or 2. The later models had these taken care of. 2007 was the first year.

When you go to see it just check it over really carefully. Look for rounded out bolt holes, bent warty stuff like that. Just the usual stuff.

What model phazer are you looking at?

BTW its still another 26,000 km's till the first valve adjustment!

Let me know if you have any questions!

A wise man once told me he would almost give up forward for reverse. :icon_lolsign:

I have almost 17k kms on an 03 viper. Never touched the motor. I threw away the original suspension at 5k kms though. Changed drive shaft and jack shaft bearings at 10k. They will need changing for sure on that phaser. Usually. A 5 hour job for an expericened wrenched. Clutches should be fine, if the owner kept them clean.

be honest Dave,,,,,, :right_on:

To be honest the reverse does not work the best anyway, it does not always engage.

I am not sure on how much its worth. I guess if it is in great shape then it would be alright. I feel like you may be able to find a phazer with less km's on it for the same price.

Autotrader has some useful tools. Go into the snowmobile section & search price range of $3000-$4000 without selecting make. You can do the same on Kijiji. Now I realize these are asking prices but, you won't come up with many sleds newer than 2004 let alone a 4-stroke in that price range. The high cost of new sleds and the depletion of a lot of used inventory last winter has driven up the cost of the used ones. BTW, I sold my last Yami with 17K on it without any wrenching on the engine, and it was a 2-stroke.

WOW Steve 17,000k.. I have 14,000 on my sled still runs perfect... Great to hear your sled worked out that well. I remember it as a baby :)

You probabily remember me whinning like a baby when I first rode it to Ej's for supper, after taking your word that it was a great riding snowmobile. Rode better after a few beers though. After I couldn't tune the suspension to my liking Custom John hooked me up with an after market skid. Rode great every since. If I trade in the snowmobile, you want the skid rick??? LOL

I have over 30 000 kms on my Rx-1. Just doing 1st valve adjust, never been in the motor but have changed many bearings as well as 1 drive shaft.

I have over 30 000 kms on my Rx-1. Just doing 1st valve adjust, never been in the motor but have changed many bearings as well as 1 drive shaft.

Hey! Welcome back, Krusty. Haven't seen you on here for a while.

Thanks Sj, filtered out at work so I can't access the site very often anymore & the kid has basically taken over the home lap top.

See ya on the trails!

After reading all these posts I think I'll take a long hard look at Yamahas. Bought a new 74 yammi cycl back in the day and it was by far the best bike I ever owned. if the sleds are anything like that bike then it says a lot.

They are very reliable sled, never been left at home or on the trail with my yammy. My phazer has towed at least a sled to the road every season! Can not say that about other brand I used to ride. That being said they are not without their down sides. The upside to these downsides are the after market segment is all over it. The quirks with the yammy's have quick and easy fixes that are relatively inexpensive. For example some would say a re-valve of the shocks is a must, better bushings, steering "slop" in the phazer can be improved with after market parts.

The majority of the complaints about the sleds are just set up related. They are not very well set up out of the box from my experience. Lots of info on set up is available on www.ty4stroke.com

So yes they are great reliable snowmobiles but like anything else read up on the particular sled and see if the majority of the complaints are something you would be willing to live with or fix.

I have never had as much fun on a sled as I have on my Phazer :cheers:

I switched over from my 600 h.o. doo last year to a 09 nytro. Took a little bit to setup and a few different add-ons and Wow I didn't want to get off it. I was so happy making the switch over to Yamaha I had a blast last year. My friends would laugh at me saying that I had a perma smile on my face all day. I also took a ribbing for being the only yamaha rider in our group and everyone else is on a doo. But Guess what I let my nephew ride my Nytro for a bit last season and guess what he is looking for this season? lol.

4 stroke's are the way to go but all machines have there problems as long as I'm not rebuliding motors like I did 3 times with my 600 H.O. I'm happy.

as long as weight has no bearing on your decision,a 4-stroke is an option,,,but they are heavy,,,, :rockon:

Archived