Yamaha Sleds IS anyone finding the gas tank small

BlakeBouch

Wondering about peoples thoughts compared to skidoo and polaris

The chart below is copied from a poll taken for the RS series on the Totallyamaha site. That would be miles/US gallons. My 2010 Vector averages about 19.5 m/CAN gallon (about 14m/US gallon). With a 35.5L tank I could go about 240km if I ran it dry.

Gas Mileage

10 mpg or less 2% [ 7 ]

11 to 12 mpg 0% [ 3 ]

13 to 14 mpg 5% [ 17 ]

15 to 16 mpg 17% [ 53 ]

17 to 18 mpg 28% [ 89 ]

18 mpg or more 45% [ 142 ]

Total Votes : 311

The chart below is copied from a poll taken for the RS series on the Totallyamaha site. That would be miles/US gallons. My 2010 Vector averages about 19.5 m/CAN gallon (about 14m/US gallon). With a 35.5L tank I could go about 240km if I ran it dry.

Gas Mileage

10 mpg or less 2% [ 7 ]

11 to 12 mpg 0% [ 3 ]

13 to 14 mpg 5% [ 17 ]

15 to 16 mpg 17% [ 53 ]

17 to 18 mpg 28% [ 89 ]

18 mpg or more 45% [ 142 ]

Total Votes : 311

how/why is yours so much less then the average?????? :wtf:

If you get 19.5 imperial I figure that out to be 16.4

check out the link below,,,,

http://www.markporthouse.net/rangie/fuelconsumptionconversion.htm#

I have rode with a few vectors/rages and such and find the early models get the best mileage,,,,

What sled are you looking at, there is an aftermarket tank available for the nytro.

How many km can u go on a tank

How many km can u go on a tank

I dont have a nytro, was just letting you know there is a biger tank you can buy for it since the range is prety bad.

My phazer, it all depends on where I am riding, it varies a lot. If I am riding lakes/powder and rail beds all day long the range gets killed, about 140-150km's before i get down to 1/8th of a tank. The phazer works hard to go fast (RPM's at 11,400). Riding the trails with my father I get around 200km's because I don't ride as hard. The phazer's range varies a lot depending on how you ride.

What sled where you looking into? I could try and find some info on that specific sled...

I own a 09 Nytro, no problems with gas i ride with mostly doo's and when the 600 carb sleds need gas pretty much around the same time I am going to start to need gas the sdi's are looking not too long after. Yes the tank is smaller but it all pretty much works out the same in the end.

I switched from a doo to Yamaha and let me say it brought a whole new meaning to sledding probably the most fun I had on a sled on a long time and I didn't have to rebuilt my motor this season lol.

I own a 09 Nytro, no problems with gas i ride with mostly doo's and when the 600 carb sleds need gas pretty much around the same time I am going to start to need gas the sdi's are looking not too long after. Yes the tank is smaller but it all pretty much works out the same in the end.

I switched from a doo to Yamaha and let me say it brought a whole new meaning to sledding probably the most fun I had on a sled on a long time and I didn't have to rebuilt my motor this season lol.

Don't know what kind of riding you or your buddies on SDI's do, but my touring experience after 7 seasons on two different SDI Renegades is that they'll go 25-30% further than a Nytro on a full tank of gas...as one might expect, given that the gas tank on my SDI is about 30% bigger than the Nytro's, and the gas consumption is similar under similar riding conditions.

On my saddle-bagging trip in early March to Gaspe, there was an '07 Vector in our group, and his sled and my SDI were usually within a litre of one another at every fill-up. (Our gas tanks are virtually identical in size.) No way a Nytro would come even close to that, with its much smaller tank. I would never take a Nytro on some of the long, remote northern Ontario trail links where fuel is not available, unless I was carrying extra fuel. But to be fair, a Nytro is primarily a ditch-banger/boondocker, not a touring sled.

My apex gets 14mpg and the vectors that I ride with get close to 18 mpg.The tank is 37.9lt-8.43gal.so I can easily go 160 -170 km.I never thought of the tank to small.The nytro was not intended to be a touring sled although tours well I have heard.Its a ditch banger .That is the reason for the smaller tank of 28lt.

Same info as above :icon_doh:I type slow

Don't know what kind of riding you or your buddies on SDI's do, but my touring experience after 7 seasons on two different SDI Renegades is that they'll go 25-30% further than a Nytro on a full tank of gas...as one might expect, given that the gas tank on my SDI is about 30% bigger than the Nytro's, and the gas consumption is similar under similar riding conditions.

On my saddle-bagging trip in early March to Gaspe, there was an '07 Vector in our group, and his sled and my SDI were usually within a litre of one another at every fill-up. (Our gas tanks are virtually identical in size.) No way a Nytro would come even close to that, with its much smaller tank. I would never take a Nytro on some of the long, remote northern Ontario trail links where fuel is not available, unless I was carrying extra fuel. But to be fair, a Nytro is primarily a ditch-banger/boondocker, not a touring sled.

I did say that the sdi's were looking for gas not too long after I would be looking on my nytro I guess that is your 25 or 30 percent. If I were put a trail tank on my Nytro I'm sure it would be almost the same as the sdi if not better depending on the size of the tank. I have used my Nytro on two tours this season and never once had a problem with gas and we ride pretty aggressive at times depending on the area.

I dont have a nytro, was just letting you know there is a biger tank you can buy for it since the range is prety bad.

My phazer, it all depends on where I am riding, it varies a lot. If I am riding lakes/powder and rail beds all day long the range gets killed, about 140-150km's before i get down to 1/8th of a tank. The phazer works hard to go fast (RPM's at 11,400). Riding the trails with my father I get around 200km's because I don't ride as hard. The phazer's range varies a lot depending on how you ride.

What sled where you looking into? I could try and find some info on that specific sled...

I'am looking into a vector

3 of us ride '06-'07 Vectors + an additional 600 SDI. Back in Feb. we rode from Cochrane to La Sarre at a high rate of speed. Including a small side trip, it was 198 km.to the gas station we went to. Everyone made it with a couple of litres to spare.

Not many places we have gone over the past 23 years that are farther than that without having gas available.

how/why is yours so much less then the average?????? :wtf:

If you get 19.5 imperial I figure that out to be 16.4

check out the link below,,,,

http://www.markporthouse.net/rangie/fuelconsumptionconversion.htm#

I have rode with a few vectors/rages and such and find the early models get the best mileage,,,,

Right you are! I had used 3.386L/US gal. when I should have used 3.785L/US gal.

Anybody want me to do their taxes?? :rolleyes:

I have a 10 gal. trail tank on my Nytro and have a easy fuel range of 250km. I average between 17 and 18 mpg. and have yet to see a 600 SDI get as good of fuel economy as the Nytro. I ride with several e-tecs, the 600's are as good or slightly better on fuel, the 800's always take 2 to 3 litres more on a fill (if they are still running LOL). I rode with a carbed Vector ( I think it was an 08 ) and he used 1 liter more than I did on about a 200km ride segment and said it was the 1st. time another sled had used less fuel than his. He also said it was the fastest 200kms he had ever travelled on a sled.... :wtf:

a 10 gallon tank is not a small tank,,,, :wtf::wtf:

This is was my first year riding my 08 Vector(carbed) and in all honesty I was and still am blown away by the mileage I get with this thing!

I never figured out the actual miles per gallon ratio but it has to be between 17-20mpg easily.

My 95 XLT was always great on gas and when I purchased my Vector I was hoping I would come close to what it got but I never thought in a million years it would be better :right_on:

Considering almost another 400cc's plus the added weight and with it being that much quicker, it still is mind boggling how Yamaha does it?

I kept track of distances and gas consumption for two sleds on our recent trip in the Gaspesie

SlowTouringGal on a 2011 GSX LE 600 eTEC

SlowTouringGuy on a 2011 GrandTouring 600eTEC

I"m sure the GSX did better, lighter machine, lighter passenger and lighter load but I didn't keep separate records. Gas consumption for both was combined but the lowest mpg recorded was 17.17 mpg on a stretch from La Cache to Matane and the highest was 24.87 mpg on a stretch between Murdochville and Relais La Cache.

Over the course of the entire trip we averaged 20.06 miles per gallon.

I kept track of distances and gas consumption for two sleds on our recent trip in the Gaspesie

SlowTouringGal on a 2011 GSX LE 600 eTEC

SlowTouringGuy on a 2011 GrandTouring 600eTEC

I"m sure the GSX did better, lighter machine, lighter passenger and lighter load but I didn't keep separate records. Gas consumption for both was combined but the lowest mpg recorded was 17.17 mpg on a stretch from La Cache to Matane and the highest was 24.87 mpg on a stretch between Murdochville and Relais La Cache.

Over the course of the entire trip we averaged 20.06 miles per gallon.

How many miles can you get on a tank on the grand touring etec?

How many miles can you get on a tank on the grand touring etec?

Huge variables - weight, snow conditions, speed/rpm - a typical range this past winter would have been expecting 250km to 350km on a 40 liter tank. But there was once stretch on our French River tour where I went 150 miles between fill-ups and only took 23 liters - that was bordering on 30 miles per gallon.

I have a 10 gal. trail tank on my Nytro and have a easy fuel range of 250km. I average between 17 and 18 mpg. and have yet to see a 600 SDI get as good of fuel economy as the Nytro. I ride with several e-tecs, the 600's are as good or slightly better on fuel, the 800's always take 2 to 3 litres more on a fill (if they are still running LOL). I rode with a carbed Vector ( I think it was an 08 ) and he used 1 liter more than I did on about a 200km ride segment and said it was the 1st. time another sled had used less fuel than his. He also said it was the fastest 200kms he had ever travelled on a sled.... :wtf:

I totally disagree

The 500 SS I rode 597cc carb was always better on gas vs the 3 Nytros I rode with when can be excused as it was turboed hence the $5 fill up dif

Our average speed was 75-85 mph(130-140kph)

everytime we filled up I took less gas

Archived