Haliburton forest poker run

guppy

Hoping to ride in the poker run tomorrow, the staff at the forest say it is still on, and people riding today.

Think I will trailer over, if no new snow,would have a few lakes to run.

Anybody else heading up?

Hoping to ride in the poker run tomorrow, the staff at the forest say it is still on, and people riding today.

Anybody else heading up?

Be careful, the Forest could be crap and they will still be "Open"

Anybody else heading up?

I usually go every year. I find the forest sugar coats there trail reports. Just ask domino, he still sounds angry from his new years experience there??? General rule is if the hailburton system isn't fair the forest won't be very good. They never recieved the usually mounts of snow this year either. Really too bad they won't give an honest trail report. Never use to be this way, only started in the last five years. Anyway's hope you have a good ride and hopefully there won't be too many pissed off people in the morning.

The HCSA area trails are done! As I reported many are paper thin with snow. More trails are mud and dirt. The depth of snow is down to a couple inches and there is a load of bare ground. There has been a severe wind storm here in Haliburton today. Thusly the wind, warm sun and temps have totalled the trails. The forest may be slightly better due to higher elevations, but it won't be all that good. They have just not had the snow cover this winter. There has yet to be two feet of consistent snow all winter. Lakes are flooded and as I write this, the temps has hit zero. With no snow, there will not be enough lube and there is a lot of slush holes out there, so lake running will be lousy too.

I would not waste the time, gas and effort to get to the forest this weekend. The forest is usually my first and last rides of the year, but it is not worth it right now. It will be beat too. This area needs a miracle.

With the swamps and creeks, the water will be high and take days, and days to drain. Sad but true. Cottage country has been dealt a lousy hand this Winter.

The HCSA opened the rail line in mid December, with a few more trails within a week to ten days. The Januray thaw saw almost three weeks of closed or very limited trails mostly due to lack of decent snowfall. Now we see just a little over two full weeks of open trails in February. Sad but reality.

Time to hang up the sled keys and take the plow off the ATV.

The HCSA area trails are done! As I reported many are paper thin with snow. More trails are mud and dirt. The depth of snow is down to a couple inches and there is a load of bare ground. There has been a severe wind storm here in Haliburton today. Thusly the wind, warm sun and temps have totalled the trails. The forest may be slightly better due to higher elevations, but it won't be all that good. They have just not had the snow cover this winter. There has yet to be two feet of consistent snow all winter. Lakes are flooded and as I write this, the temps has hit zero. With no snow, there will not be enough lube and there is a lot of slush holes out there, so lake running will be lousy too.

I would not waste the time, gas and effort to get to the forest this weekend. The forest is usually my first and last rides of the year, but it is not worth it right now. It will be beat too. This area needs a miracle.

With the swamps and creeks, the water will be high and take days, and days to drain. Sad but true. Cottage country has been dealt a lousy hand this Winter.

The HCSA opened the rail line in mid December, with a few more trails within a week to ten days. The Januray thaw saw almost three weeks of closed or very limited trails mostly due to lack of decent snowfall. Now we see just a little over two full weeks of open trails in February. Sad but reality.

Time to hang up the sled keys and take the plow off the ATV.

well I am heading out, will see what Sat. brings, the forest roads are fairly smoo

th, sure they will do the best they can ,considering.

it all goes to a good cause,lets hope they can still get a decent turnout-or better odds to win the hand.

well I am heading out, will see what Sat. brings, the forest roads are fairly smoo

th, sure they will do the best they can ,considering.

it all goes to a good cause,lets hope they can still get a decent turnout-or better odds to win the hand.

Hi Guppy, would be most curious to know what you think of the trail conditions after your ride.

Was up between Christmas and New Years....the cottage roads seemed like mid winter conditions and were great riding. Some of the bush trails were ok but in many sections they were thin and needed one more good snowfall. All in all, better than expected conditions for that time of year. As we were leaving a warm spell was rolling in so that couldn't be good...mind you, groomers appeared to be out packing every day.

What is odd about the Forest is that they don't tell you what is open and what is closed...what is passable and what is not. One of my buddies had one staff member X-out some of the closed/impassable trails on a map he picked up at the main office. In talking with other folk on the trail..there were many who were quite new like us and appreciated us telling them about the impassable trails as they were told nothing. It is one thing to say the lakes aren't staked which is fine...but some trails appear to run on the edge of lakes/swamps/ponds...which aren't easily as recognized as potential water crossings and a little disconcerting upon reflection.

Next time we go...we will definitely ask for a detailed update before heading out...regardless of time of year.

forest poker run-

Trails had held up quite well, on the forest roads, did not venture onto the smaller trails.

A little icy on some corners, and some exposed gravel on hilltops,but was a lot better riding than what had expected .

Our party was one of the last to start-finish, and considering they had approx. 500 entries,the trails help up very well.

The forest staff did a good job of clearing the fallen branches, and 2 large trees, that happened friday night.

saw the groomer heading out as we were leaving,with the snow that came sunday night, the trails should be improved.

rode the b trail up towards whitney, on sunday, turned back 1/2 way, bare hilltops,lots of exposed rocks,

frozen ruts, ,most of the base is there, but thin, need a good snowfall to give them something to work with.

Archived