Parry Sound - Near Nobel & Carling Bay

Kym

I am heading up to Parry Sound on February 25 to head out to the cottage on the island. Never been there in the winter. Cottage is on Huckleberry Island (north side). Closest marina is Harrison's landing marina. Need to head from the mainland at Harrison's (just off Carling Bay Road), out to Goat and Graves Island, then directly across to Huckleberry (not far from Dent's Bay and Girl's Camp Bay - well, north side of Huckleberry anyway).

So I am new to this snowmobile thing - just bought one, and I am scared shitless to take it across the ice, and I can't find a single shred of information on the internet about ice safety in this area. The best I can get is ice conditions on Georgian Bay (not Parry Sound).

So - does anyone know this area, and can they comment on whether or not it would be safe to go from Harrison's to Huckleberry next weekend?

I am heading up to Parry Sound on February 25 to head out to the cottage on the island. Never been there in the winter. Cottage is on Huckleberry Island (north side). Closest marina is Harrison's landing marina. Need to head from the mainland at Harrison's (just off Carling Bay Road), out to Goat and Graves Island, then directly across to Huckleberry (not far from Dent's Bay and Girl's Camp Bay - well, north side of Huckleberry anyway).

So I am new to this snowmobile thing - just bought one, and I am scared shitless to take it across the ice, and I can't find a single shred of information on the internet about ice safety in this area. The best I can get is ice conditions on Georgian Bay (not Parry Sound).

So - does anyone know this area, and can they comment on whether or not it would be safe to go from Harrison's to Huckleberry next weekend?

I strongly recomend talking to Gord Harrison at the marina he will know.

Kym;

I'm a relative newbie, 4 seasons, and have an island cottage in Go Home Bay, southern Georgian Bay. We come out of Honey Harbour, a 20 minute trip (40 by boat). Like you we do a ton of travel on the ice and it can be terrifying at first.

The ice last weekend was 18 inches off our beach. I really think you'll be OK as long as you stay on good ice away from where any currents can effect the ice. Ask, ask ask the locals.

My suggestions are:

-buy ice picks from Royal, the ones that go around your neck, not your arm.

-get an Ice Rider Suit made by Mustang. They are warm and will save you

-have someone (like your marina) expect your call when you arrive, make it two contact to be safe.

-travel with someone

-get your machine studded. It makes all the difference in slush and braking

-carry a heaving line (for the other guy)

-Don't take any trails just because they are there.

-park on a reef or edge of shore if possible

-remember to put your thumb in it if you are concerned or weirded out

Be prepared for the best time of your life seeing the cottage in a different season.

Doug

Kym;

I'm a relative newbie, 4 seasons, and have an island cottage in Go Home Bay, southern Georgian Bay. We come out of Honey Harbour, a 20 minute trip (40 by boat). Like you we do a ton of travel on the ice and it can be terrifying at first.

The ice last weekend was 18 inches off our beach. I really think you'll be OK as long as you stay on good ice away from where any currents can effect the ice. Ask, ask ask the locals.

My suggestions are:

-buy ice picks from Royal, the ones that go around your neck, not your arm.

-get an Ice Rider Suit made by Mustang. They are warm and will save you

-have someone (like your marina) expect your call when you arrive, make it two contact to be safe.

-travel with someone

-get your machine studded. It makes all the difference in slush and braking

-carry a heaving line (for the other guy)

-Don't take any trails just because they are there.

-park on a reef or edge of shore if possible

-remember to put your thumb in it if you are concerned or weirded out

Be prepared for the best time of your life seeing the cottage in a different season.

Doug

Thank you very much for that useful information. I spoke with Gordie and also Scott Jacklin (Central Helicopters). They were both very helpful. Things look good around that area as of a week ago (people seemed to be using the ice in that area a fair bit), and Scott had just recently taken his sled around Huckelberry a few times about 2 weeks ago. I will call Scott tonight for an update (which he kindly offerred to provide). Thanks again for your help and suggestions.

Kym

I just got an email from someone who lives in the area, and I thought I'd paste it here in case anyone looks at this thread/chain/post or whatever it is you call it, and were wondering the same thing. Here's what he said this evening:

Ice is fine, we snowmobiled from Parry Sound to Midland on Sunday mostly on Georgian Bay. 24 inches of ice on Spider Bay and there are ice huts out on the Sound.

Unfortunately snow is still limited, ice is mostly glare and a little slick if your track is not studded. We are supposed to get a couple of inches of snow tomorrow. Not sure where you off load your snowmobiles?? From George Hunt Memorial (Nobel) or Carling no problem......if leaving from the town of Parry Sound just keep an eye for pressure cracks or ice heaves, they usually start to pop up this time of year and can be like hitting a brick wall.

Hey Kym.. Welcome to the forum and I'm happ to see you got the information you where looking for.. Be careful and have fun.. Rick

Thanks. I've been going to this island since I was three days old, but always in the summer. Looking forward to seeing what it's like in the winter.

Watch for open water. At this time of year it can pop up anywhere. You can have 2 feet of ice in one spot and have open water a few feet away. Last weekend the ice opened up a large patch of open water off the south east tip of Beausoleil Island in the direction of Midland. If you were to head from the same poing on the Island to Penetang you would be fine.

If going to Midland either follow the stake line out of Honey Harbour to Midland or if you want to go off of Beausoleil run to Penetang and then take the trail to Midland.

A flotation suit and the red 'ice picks' worn around your neck are always a good idea if you don't know the area.

I've noticed more rocks on Georgian Bay than in years past. Water down? Lack of snow cover? Glad I was riding in the daytime. Wouldn't have seen them at night.

A flotation suit and the red 'ice picks' worn around your neck are always a good idea if you don't know the area.

I've noticed more rocks on Georgian Bay than in years past. Water down? Lack of snow cover? Glad I was riding in the daytime. Wouldn't have seen them at night.

Water is down quite a bit

Archived