Burford area crack smokers

Joe

Who is the crack smoking retards that marked the the trails around the burford area? What a waste of a day yesterday, almost no intersections marked no numbers to follow on the map and almost never had a sign for the next town. I wanted to go to turkey point but after wasting two hours on these crap trails I just ran back a round Seaforth area. I guess it would be good for the people there since they might know where there going.

Welcome to the board Joe.

Thanks There was many people I ran into that was pissed off with the trails in that area yesterday that are never going to ride ther agian, I have rode in many places around Ontario and never ran into that before. There might be the odd place I have came across that the signs where stolen but not almost all of them gone.

Thanks There was many people I ran into that was pissed off with the trails in that area yesterday that are never going to ride ther agian, I have rode in many places around Ontario and never ran into that before. There might be the odd place I have came across that the signs where stolen but not almost all of them gone.

Was up there on Thursday, had a map at the north end intersection south of the 403 to bad the intersection tag on the board said had the wrong number on it.

Hey Joe.. Welcome to the forum... This has been an issue in that area for many years.. I was told the only way to get from New Dundee to Turkey Point was with a guide that knows the area (which we did).. From what I heard the local clubs need lots of help.. I hope they get it someday.. Sometimes it only takes one person...

Years ago, I made over 100 trail signs with my printer and laminator.. I staples them anywhere someone could get confused or lost on our trails (New Dundee).. I also put a sign on each road crossing so in case of an accident or breakdown, the snowmobiler can figure out where they are.. It took me a few hours and it lead to permament signs being made.. New Dundee is marked perfectly for many years :)

Happy trails.. Rick

Was up there on Thursday, had a map at the north end intersection south of the 403 to bad the intersection tag on the board said had the wrong number on it.

Hey Geoff.. How's the riding in the Port Rowan area? I have a boathouse in the Port Rowan Marina and would love to ride the area sometime...

PS: I can't wait for soft water perch fishing to start :)

Hey Joe.. Welcome to the forum... This has been an issue in that area for many years.. I was told the only way to get from New Dundee to Turkey Point was with a guide that knows the area (which we did).. From what I heard the local clubs need lots of help.. I hope they get it someday.. Sometimes it only takes one person...

Years ago, I made over 100 trail signs with my printer and laminator.. I staples them anywhere someone could get confused or lost on our trails (New Dundee).. I also put a sign on each road crossing (with the road name) so in case of an accident or breakdown, the snowmobiler can figure out where they are.. It took me a few hours and it lead to permament signs being made.. New Dundee is marked perfectly for many years :)

Happy trails.. Rick

Unfortunately this all to often like you said due to to many wanting to use the trails but not willing to help thier local club throughout the year.

Unfortunately this all to often like you said due to to many wanting to use the trails but not willing to help thier local club throughout the year.

Unfortunately, clubs seem to drive more people away than they attract... Many good people have been driven out of clubs for many reasons.. Burnout is a major factor imo...

Unfortunately, clubs seem to drive more people away than they attract... Many good people have been driven out of clubs for many reasons.. Burnout is a major factor imo...

I can fully understand the burnout factor, we put in plenty of hours this year with others in our area, but since December the rewards have outweighed the burnout.

Joe,

Welcome to the forum.

The trails are signed by volunteers. I too have experienced frustrating signage in the Mt. Forest area. I am sure your original post will only serve to drive away what volunteers the club does have. We need to appreciate the efforts the few people make to have trails at all. We need to make suggestions and try to help if we can.

There is a lot of work involved in creating and maintaining trails.....

I think Burford does a great job with what they have. The Burford trails that we were on Saturday were groomed and smooth.

Hard to have volunteers when they often don't have enough snow to open and when they do everyone wants to just ride on them.

Last year they were open one day I think.

They also have land owner isues and have to move trails which makes signage difficult.

People steel signs and the club volunteers have to hear about it.

No the signs are not perfect but I'm amazed we have what is there.

Every time I ride on OFSC trails it blows my mind that for the price of a trail pass I can ride all over our Province and land owners and club volunteers make it possible!

Weapon

I think Burford does a great job with what they have. The Burford trails that we were on Saturday were groomed and smooth.

Hard to have volunteers when they often don't have enough snow to open and when they do everyone wants to just ride on them.

Last year they were open one day I think.

They also have land owner isues and have to move trails which makes signage difficult.

People steel signs and the club volunteers have to hear about it.

No the signs are not perfect but I'm amazed we have what is there.

Every time I ride on OFSC trails it blows my mind that for the price of a trail pass I can ride all over our Province and land owners and club volunteers make it possible!

Weapon

I have to agree with what you are saying. LMV rode with us to Turkey Point a few years ago and I have to be honest with you, if you don't know the area it would be hard to find your way around. It is a lot of work for volunteers to set up trails for a few days of riding. Last year, we never opened our trails in New Dundee. Pretty hard getting new people involved when there is no snow to ride on, but this year is a different story!

I was thinking about this issue on the weekend as we got lost a few times due to a lack of signage. I'm not sure what the solution is, but what I found most frustrating is when your on a main trail,(we rode up B108 and back on B111 from Strathroy to Varney). You would come to a 3 or 4 way intersection and not know which way the trail you were on continued on. One simple trail number sign would be all that is needed. All the town signs are nice, but if you don't know where that town is in relation to where you are, it is meaningless. Even with a GPS we had to guess many times and turned around many times once we could see on the GPS that we were heading the wrong way.

I'm sure to the locals who know the area, it all makes perfect sense and its probably hard for the local volunteers to put themselves in a strangers shoes and know what info would help them.

This isn't a slam at all, as I greatly appreciate what we have available, but to me we could get rid of a lot of signs and replace them with some trail number signs at each intersection. At least that way with a map, you would know exactly where you were and what trail to take to get where your going.

FishHog

Hey Geoff.. How's the riding in the Port Rowan area? I have a boathouse in the Port Rowan Marina and would love to ride the area sometime...

PS: I can't wait for soft water perch fishing to start :)

Been good arround here.

The Southern Snow Riders trails South of Burford are doing fine and are signed real well with many maps. Burford is not to bad to get through. Best way is to count intersections and map reading. Dont rely on there signage. They dont have many trails so once you find your way south all is fine.

All they have to do is put a number like the map has and I can find my way, I have been in almost every place in ontario and have never seen anything like that before.

This is also done to discourage non local riders frm using their trails.. Less grooming required. Less money spent on grooming. Locals don't need signs, they are the ones that put the trails in anyways.. Just a theory I have from things I've seen, things I've witness and things I was told..

Is there not a standard for trail signage that has to be met as per OFSC regulations? I thought i herd this.Is a portion of my trail pass not meant for the clubs to have things like signs and grooming operational. Especial if they where only open for a day last year, how much grooming could they have done?

Is there not a standard for trail signage that has to be met as per OFSC regulations? I thought i herd this.Is a portion of my trail pass not meant for the clubs to have things like signs and grooming operational. Especial if they where only open for a day last year, how much grooming could they have done?

Hey guys cut these guys some slack. In the Burford area, they only get snow about once in five years. How much enery would you waste each year putting up signs, not thinking you are going to need them.

Hey guys cut these guys some slack. In the Burford area, they only get snow about once in five years. How much enery would you waste each year putting up signs, not thinking you are going to need them.

I know its a lot of work, i help out my local club. Sorry if i seemed to have harped on them. Not saying its true, but if the reason they don't put signs up is to avoid too much traffic to not have to groom as much is not cool. That's all. I will probably not ride there but the principal behind it. If it is just that they don't have the man power to get it done then so be it, it happens and is completely understandable.

But is their a OFSC standard for signs, if so then the minimum requirement should be met.

I know its a lot of work, i help out my local club. Sorry if i seemed to have harped on them. Not saying its true, but if the reason they don't put signs up is to avoid too much traffic to not have to groom as much is not cool. That's all. I will probably not ride there but the principal behind it. If it is just that they don't have the man power to get it done then so be it, it happens and is completely understandable.

But is their a OFSC standard for signs, if so then the minimum requirement should be met.

There is an official signing standard that relates to safety and legal liability. There are no signage requirements for direction/informative signs.

All it would take is for someone that knows the trails to laminate some signs and put them at intersections.. It would take a few hours and done.. A sign you follow that says - TO TURKEY POINT and other destinations would be easy..

A piece of wood, nails and a can of spray paint.. A print and laminated.. Raise funds and get permament signs.. The ones I made lasted a few seasons.. There`s lots that could be done and cost very little money...

Joe, I live in the Burford area (Princeton) and attest to how frustrating it is to get around and I'm a local. I should post photos, they got destination signs that have arrows pointing to the left AND right, and intersections with signs pointing to detinations...left, right, and down ? What the Hell does down mean ? Regardless of snow or volunteers if they're going to bother with signs at all try and have some kind of thought put into it. There are a lot of trails in the area but as soon as you cross hwy 2 south of Princeton it goes for a crap. Does Drumbo have more participation ? Maybe. But someone commented on the clubs chasing folks off too. Some prick practically attacked me last week, he got a little sled rage after I passed him. He was doing about 40kph and me and my boy were running about 60 kph. The trail was VERY fresh groomed, in fact this clown on red Ski-doo came after us and when we stopped at road where we caught up to the groomer, he physically blocked the trail with his sled and complained we were tearing up the trail ? We passed this goof in a corn field and followed the trail to the next road where we caught up to the groomer. We stopped to wait for groomer to get across the road before we intended on going around the groomer. Were we ripping up the trail ? Sure, cause it went from having NO tracks on it to having 2 tracks on it. Am I supposed to stay on the trail or off the trail ? The trail wasn't being ripped up, we rode from home to Aylmer and back, and we're not interested in ripping around corn fields ripping up the groomer's work. The prick on the ski-doo doesn't know my son's helmet camera was on and we got HIS actions all on photos...anybody out there riding like an a-ho...I got the photos for the proof...next week I'm gonna post'em in the Drumbo pub. 3 years ago we bought Burford trail permits and put our names on the list for volunteers....never got a call. Maybe we're not in the group ? don't know, but I also don't know who runs the club. It's a shame it's not run better and I agree they got a lot of challenges in the area PLUS lack of snow some years but I also don't think it's too much to ask for reasonable signage...at least for the arrows to point the right way for each destination. How about it ?

Archived