Thin ice on Kahshe

prozak69

I was at the cottage yesterday and their is still a lot of open water in the south end of Kahshe lake espcialy around Grant Bay

Stay off the ice!

Keep it safe thank you

I was at the cottage yesterday and their is still a lot of open water in the south end of Kahshe lake espcialy around Grant Bay

Stay off the ice!

Keep it safe thank you

Welcome to the forum!

Stay off the ice!

Keep it safe thank you

Please be more specific as the stake line was put in the lake last weekend and there is more than enough ice in the channels where the stake line is.

If you are referring to the south end of the lake from Grant's Bay, through the kettles of from Denne's towards the south end (By south end, I mean Sophers at South Kahshe Lake Road, it is not staked nor is it ever.

Thank you for your welcome

There is plenty enought ice on the stake line in the chanel

However at the south exit of the lake just 30 m from the trail entrance on your right near the narrow of the south Kahshe river the water is open.

I am new to this lake(and Ontario)& I don't now if it is ever safe around there.

Just tought I would let everyone know.

enjoy

prozak69

However at the south exit of the lake just 30 m from the trail entrance on your right near the narrow of the south Kahshe river the water is open.

I am new to this lake(and Ontario)& I don't now if it is ever safe around there.

enjoy

prozak69

Thanks prozak69 - I know exactly where you mean. That narrows sometimes freezes and, when it does, remains quite thin and often wet. There's a current there and with the high water levels we've had, the flow through there out to the small dam has kept that area from capping over.

Not safe ! And you're right to point it out. It also gives us an opportunity to remind all riders that just because they see a stake line, it doesn't mean that all areas of a water body are safe. Stick to the stake line, always !

And, welcome to the OC Forum ! Glad you found us and hope to see you around here often. Lots of information to be found on this board. And some giggles too !

ENJOY !!

enjoy

prozak69

If you stick to the trail you are fine. Exiting the lake in grants bay onto trail 4 can at times be slushy and wet. I've been on the lake 25 years and I don't go in that area in the winter.

Thanks for posting.

enjoy

prozak69

Thanks for the input p69 - open water is common around lake trails that join land trails near river/streams. We have them in the Honey Harbour area as well. Stick to the staked line, for safety, in our area as well.

I'm hearing you should stick to the stake line.... :roll:

Or follow the other thousand tracks on the lake. Just don't follow the one that end abruptly at the wet spot.

Clubs have deemed the stake line safe, it is always your best path if you don't know the lake. There are several current flow areas on Kahshe, but once you know there is a lot of unstaked areas that are safe to ride. These areas are not maintained by the club, purely lake ice, use at your own risk. Be safe! Hope to see you out there.

How long have you been on Kahshe (you mentioned you are new)? Where is your humble abode?

Or follow the other thousand tracks on the lake. Just don't follow the one that end abruptly at the wet spot.

Clubs have deemed the stake line safe, it is always your best path if you don't know the lake. There are several current flow areas on Kahshe, but once you know there is a lot of unstaked areas that are safe to ride. These areas are not maintained by the club, purely lake ice, use at your own risk. Be safe! Hope to see you out there.

How long have you been on Kahshe (you mentioned you are new)? Where is your humble abode?

Save yourself! Don't tell him!!!! :rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:

• 4 weeks later...

Wet spot!? :coffeespit:

Hehehe!

Archived