Snowmobile license numbers

tool_guy

57 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Puggz, I have a close friend that has operated a large graphics shop for 22 years doing alot of striping, lettering and wraps. While I agree with most of your comments above, I've never seen my friend or his employees heat any decals before installing them under normal circumstances. I have only seen him use heat when dealing with extreme curves, edges and covering rivets. I would be very hesitant to use heat while installing new decals since the decals will deform so easily. 

yes you are correct!  I've updated my post.. thank you.     I heated mine after they were installed just to ensure that the glue really took to the plastic.  On my Cat, the plastic is textured which makes applying stickers even more challenging.

Also I have been told that some graphics shops have what they call 'high tack' mat'l that will adhere better to the textured surfaces that are so common sleds nowadays.

10 hours ago, snowseeker4 said:

Hello, my B.I.L. and I were up on trail B102 north of Barry’s Bay yesterday and were stopped be the OPP for documents. Produced the documents and everything was good. One of the officers pointed out that our registration numbers were in the wrong location as we have them on the tunnel and that it’s a $110 fine and that we should have them changed. We suggested that we couldn’t have put them on the cowl where he suggested as the plastic was dimpled and didn’t provide good adhesion. He didn’t press us on the topic and we chatted with them for a bit, nice guys. My B.I.L. was looking at me during the registration number discussion knowing I carry a copy of the sticker placement regulations hoping I was going to be cool during the conversation and not challenge him! I was of the same mind and didn’t. After they left my B.I.L. breathed a sigh of relief as we talked about the encounter, he thought I was about to have a close encounter with their silver bracelets! Haha. 

When you tell cops the law, even when you have proof in writing, their ego goes into over drive, and they will make your life suck. In the end you will win, but you will have to go to court to get the win.  I look at cops and treat them as if they are spoiled children that have power to mess you up. You guys did what was right and played nice and no ticket was issued, now had the book come out, that would be the time to politely show the paperwork. if you play it right, telling the cop you read this and apologize for not correctly interpreting, letting him still think he is right, the book may get put away, if not you win in court. The cops may be wrong, but you cannot hold your trial on the side of the trail.

Zoso, you are correct. We were playing nice and were going to discuss it if the book came out. The same incident happened a number of years back and the officers ego seemed fragile. He told us it was in the wrong location and looked as if he was going to issue us a ticket each. We politely suggested that we were following the motorized snowmobile act as it was clearly stated. He said he wasn’t aware of it so we politely showed him a printed copy from the act. He read it and said he would have to get a clear interpretation but conceded that we appeared to follow the act as it was written. He said that we could carry on and have a good day. We didn’t try to bruise his ego and were calm and respectful, and just wanted to enlighten him. And yes I agree there is no court trailside. 

We have been making Ontario vehicle style decal "plates" complete with "Ontario yours to discover" on them. Use different colors to go with the graphic colors on the sleds.

Kinda been our trade mark for about ten years on about 8 different sleds.

The cops always seem to get a kick out of them, and have never questioned the size or location.

The funniest part is how many times the police as well as others have asked if these are the new standard issue number plates from the  MTO for sleds.;)

The one I sized and made in green for a new El Tigre this year is even smaller and located down low on the side pan. Will see how that goes....image.jpg

Archived