Snowmobile license numbers

tool_guy

I've very recently purchased and picked up my first snowmobile. Now I have a question as I'm not quite sure about how this could be handled. I'm having custom made for my license numbers. But while I'm waiting I'd still like to ride. Is it ok for me to carry them and my validation sticker with me while I'm waiting for the custom numbers to arrive?

Thanks

Raymond

From the Motorized Snow Vehicle Act:

Registration number to be displayed

(7) Every motorized snow vehicle, unless exempted under this Act or the regulations, shall have attached to or painted on both sides of the cowling in a clearly visible position a sign showing the registration number of the motorized snow vehicle in the form and manner prescribed in the regulations. R.S.O. 1990, c. M.44, s. 2 (7).

Couldn't find the Regulations.

Surely duct tape with big numbers with a Sharpie on both sides should suffice.

I have seen a guy get ticketed for having the val tag in his wallet. I don't recall what his excuse was for not having it on his sled. I wasn't w/ the pair of sledders. I had been stopped by the OPP & was chatting to them when the other pair rolled up.

I've very recently purchased and picked up my first snowmobile. Now I have a question as I'm not quite sure about how this could be handled. I'm having custom made for my license numbers. But while I'm waiting I'd still like to ride. Is it ok for me to carry them and my validation sticker with me while I'm waiting for the custom numbers to arrive?

Thanks

Raymond

Welcome to the forum Tool_Guy. It's like driving your car with no plate on it. There are less cops on the trails but would it be worth the tickets. May be best to wait the extra day or two.

I have taped the big On numbers on while waiting for custom numbers,,,,,but,,,if you get stopped by the wrong guy,,,busted,,, :right_on:

It would not be worth the risk in getting a fine. You could put the issued Ontario sticker on somewhere a little less conspicuous and remove it when you get your custom lettering. At least it would be on the sled..somewhere.

There was a whole big topic on this last year, I'll have to go see if I can find it, because there was something in it about placement locations and other things too...

Welcome to the forum....I 'd go with FQ's suggestion, put the provincial ones somewhere and then rip them off when the custom ones arrive

You can put the provincial sticker on the side of the tunnel, as close as possible to the the rear.

Just at least try to be close to where they are supposed to be placed. At least the police could see that you have them on, valtag is present, etc. I personally would not place the stock decal where it would mark the finish of the sled though. Some police officers can be sticky.

I knew I'd find the old post about this....

Motorized Snow Vehicles Act

Hey Admin dude, we should have an area of the forum, that is locked and only postable by Admin/Mods where we can put stuff like this in so the same questions don't get asked every year. Just an idea :mrgreen:

23. (1) The registration number of the motorized snow vehicle shall be,

(a) affixed to both sides of the cowling on decals provided by the Ministry; or

(b ) painted on, or affixed to, both sides of the cowling as prescribed in subsection (4). O. Reg. 145/97, s. 1.

(2) Decals with a registration number displayed in accordance with clause (1) (a) shall be not less than 10 centimetres and not more than 15 centimetres from the rear of the cowling. O. Reg. 145/97, s. 1.

(3) Despite subsection (2), if the design of the motorized snow vehicle makes it impracticable to affix the decals in accordance with that subsection, the decals may be affixed to each side of the tunnel of the vehicle next to or as near as possible to the forward edge of the reflector light. O. Reg. 145/97, s. 1.

(4) A registration number displayed in accordance with clause (1) (b ) shall,

(a) be painted on, or affixed to, both sides of the cowling with the rear limit of the number being not less than 10 centimetres and not more than 15 centimetres from the rear of the cowling;

(b ) be in a colour that contrasts with its background;

© be not less than five centimetres and not more than 7.6 centimetres high;

(d) have a stroke width of not less than five millimetres and not more than 13 millimetres;

(e) have digits of uniform style and height; and

(f) where practicable, have the digits separated by spaces that are not more than five centimetres wide. O. Reg. 145/97, s. 1.

I knew I'd find the old post about this....

Motorized Snow Vehicles Act

Hey Admin dude, we should have an area of the forum, that is locked and only postable by Admin/Mods where we can put stuff like this in so the same questions don't get asked every year. Just an idea :mrgreen:

Good idea....Consider it under review ;) We also have a search function :coffeenose:

good work dweese, I couldn't find the details on ww.gov.on.ca, you did, Congrats

Hey don't thank me, it was just a repost, I just figured out how to work the search fuction :headbang:

You can put the provincial sticker on the side of the tunnel, as close as possible to the the rear.

Not according to the law. See post of the MSVA above. Misinformation will get people in trouble! Been there.....

Not according to the law. See post of the MSVA above. Misinformation will get people in trouble! Been there.....

:umno:

See 23.3

(3) Despite subsection (2), if the design of the motorized snow vehicle makes it impracticable to affix the decals in accordance with that subsection, the decals may be affixed to each side of the tunnel of the vehicle next to or as near as possible to the forward edge of the reflector light. O. Reg. 145/97, s. 1.

However, having said that, I purchased a used sled for my daughter last year that had the ministry number plate attached at the rear of the tunnel, (and probably had been there since the sled was first registered in '02) but when we were stopped by the OPP in Bracebridge, we were told that it wasn't legal there. Wasn't worth fighting over so we got new stickers. :curse: :curse:

See 23.3

However, having said that, I purchased a used sled for my daughter last year that had the ministry number plate attached at the rear of the tunnel, (and probably had been there since the sled was first registered in '02) but when we were stopped by the OPP in Bracebridge, we were told that it wasn't legal there. Wasn't worth fighting over so we got new stickers. :curse: :curse:

I carry a copy of the legislation (23.3) with me as they are all not aware of this law. I have Custom Numbers on my XR, but Ministry Stickers on the rear of the tunnel on the Rev.

I carry a copy of the legislation (23.3) with me as they are all not aware of this law. I have Custom Numbers on my XR, but Ministry Stickers on the rear of the tunnel on the Rev.

And what (if you have been stopped) do the authorities say regarding you "schooling" them on the acts "they" enforce...

Police: "oh I see you are versed in the ACTs"

Dom: "yup it is spelled out right there in 23.3"

Police: "Looks like you have a tail light out"

Dom "are you kidding me?"

Police "Officer to dispatch...officer to dispatch...10-00...Officer down"

And what (if you have been stopped) do the authorities say regarding you "schooling" them on the acts "they" enforce...

Police: "oh I see you are versed in the ACTs"

Dom: "yup it is spelled out right there in 23.3"

Police: "Looks like you have a tail light out"

Dom "are you kidding me?"

Police "Officer to dispatch...officer to dispatch...10-00...Officer down"

Its all in the presentation. ;)

See 23.3

I think some are missing something here and thinking stickers on the rear of the tunnel is an option for all sleds ?

I think some are missing something here and thinking stickers on the rear of the tunnel is an option for all sleds ?

Not all sleds, but the impractical statement is based on the full provincial sticker and that is hard to place on most newer sleds. :unsure:

Under similiar circumstances with Vintage show sleds I bought some white vinyl (cheap stuff not the good stuff) from a sign maker and applied it to the sled first. Then put the Ontario plate on the vinyl and trim to size. The vinyl leave very little glue residue when removed and it is easy to remove with WD 40

• 7 years later...

Hello, my B.I.L. and I were up on trail B102 north of Barry’s Bay yesterday and were stopped be the OPP for documents. Produced the documents and everything was good. One of the officers pointed out that our registration numbers were in the wrong location as we have them on the tunnel and that it’s a $110 fine and that we should have them changed. We suggested that we couldn’t have put them on the cowl where he suggested as the plastic was dimpled and didn’t provide good adhesion. He didn’t press us on the topic and we chatted with them for a bit, nice guys. My B.I.L. was looking at me during the registration number discussion knowing I carry a copy of the sticker placement regulations hoping I was going to be cool during the conversation and not challenge him! I was of the same mind and didn’t. After they left my B.I.L. breathed a sigh of relief as we talked about the encounter, he thought I was about to have a close encounter with their silver bracelets! Haha. 

On ‎1‎/‎17‎/‎2011 at 10:31 PM, tool_guy said:

Thanks

Raymond

You're taking a risk.  My recommendation based on what I did earlier this year:

• Place the govt issued reg.plate/sticker on the left side of our cowling (easier to remove from plastic than aluminum).
  • Figure out where your custom letters go and attach your validation sticker accordingly
  • When your custom letters arrive, remove the govt issued sticker and install your custom numbers (both sides). 

Note - when installing stickers on plastic, take your panels in doors and do it at room temp.  Also apply a bit of heat from a hair dryer/heat gun to allow the glue to really take.  Just hot to the touch, don't over do it or you'll be re-ordering your stickers.

PM me if you have any questions.

P.

34 minutes ago, Puggz said:

You're taking a risk.  My recommendation based on what I did earlier this year:

• Place the govt issued reg.plate/sticker on the left side of our cowling (easier to remove from plastic than aluminum).
  • Figure out where your custom letters go and attach your validation sticker accordingly
  • When your custom letters arrive, remove the govt issued sticker and install your custom numbers (both sides). 

Note - when installing stickers on plastic, take your panels in doors and do it at room temp.  Also apply a bit of heat from a hair dryer/heat gun to allow the glue to really take.  Just hot to the touch, don't over do it or you'll be re-ordering your stickers.

PM me if you have any questions.

P.

Puggz, I have a close friend that has operated a large graphics shop for 22 years doing alot of striping, lettering and wraps. While I agree with most of your comments above, I've never seen my friend or his employees heat any decals before installing them under normal circumstances. I have only seen him use heat when dealing with extreme curves, edges and covering rivets. I would be very hesitant to use heat while installing new decals since the decals will deform so easily. 

Archived