Gravenhurst to Walkers Point conditions

rippintheyammi

Hello all:

Just wondering if anyone has any idea how the trails are looking form Walkers Point to Gravenhurst? I would assume all of the swamps are frozen, and am curious what others have observed? (those who are out packing/getting the trails ready) I also wanted to know if anyone had been out on Pine Lake and when it should be safe to cross?

Sorry to be an annoyance, I just figure that this is the best place to look for answers to my questions.

Give it another week/week and a half. It might just be limited by then.

DooNut should be back on here tomorrow. He's been out that way packing so knows well the conditions. Lots of water still in the swamps which is why you see the response from Blake suggesting another week or so. The snow we had is insulating the ice from the cold night air.

Thank you for the update; much appreciated. If you ever need a hand with anything on the point, I live right at the end of it (about 7km in). As you can tell, I am pretty pumped to get out and ride the trails!

Another point- C101D and D are limited from the wharf to kilty switch where it turns to the sno bombers club.

Another point- C101D and D are limited from the wharf to kilty switch where it turns to the sno bombers club.

Please note that is changes to Snow Bombers grooming territory at Kitly Switch as Blake mentions. This is different than previous years as we helped them out by grooming right up to the floating bridge.

Hello all:

Just wondering if anyone has any idea how the trails are looking form Walkers Point to Gravenhurst? I would assume all of the swamps are frozen, and am curious what others have observed? (those who are out packing/getting the trails ready) I also wanted to know if anyone had been out on Pine Lake and when it should be safe to cross?

Sorry to be an annoyance, I just figure that this is the best place to look for answers to my questions.

the swamps are still very wet in places. Lots of mud holes and water on the 12 trail from walkers point out. We have packed and skipped dragged from the first road crossing east of 169 out as far as the big grass swamp west of 169. The big groomer has made an initial pass from there out to the 9 and up and down the 9 as well as the 10 into Cambels and the 14 into the New Ark. Its a start but need more cold to lock up the swamps and more snow to cover the granite. Definately not even ready to be called LIMITED yet.

No one had been on Pine as of last weekend. I do not know its present condition but I know deer and pigeon were not ready last weekend.

• 3 weeks later...

When these sections firm up, could someone please update the thread with trail conditions?

Thanks in advance.

When these sections firm up, could someone please update the thread with trail conditions?

Thanks in advance.

Snowcrest trail conditions from Gravenhurst to Walker's Point.

Granite, wood, granite, a little snow, granite, bare road, granite, wood.

Sad but true. Severe lack of packable snow. Probably need at least another foot of wet snow to gain any ground on these brutally rough and rocky trails.

Good new is Gravenhurst Bay is runnable to the Pine Lake portage. Pine Lake is runnable to Snider's bay road. Deer and Pigeon Lakes are runnable to trail 12. Unfortunately, trail 12 is not open nor really ridable.

Thanks Doonut.

I hope that the snow that is predicted to fall this weekend will be enough to get them open. I am on Walkers Point and without that trail open, I am pretty much trapped until the Ice is good on Lake Muskoka.

I hope that the snow that is predicted to fall this weekend will be enough to get them open. I am on Walkers Point and without that trail open, I am pretty much trapped until the Ice is good on Lake Muskoka.

Where on the point? There are ways around on the point. Ice is good from shanty bay all the way down to the landing if you stick to the first channel.

Really? So I would hop on shanty bay and hug the shore past new ark and get off at campbells? I thought the trail from Campbells to Ghurst wasn't open yet? Also, how good is the ice? Do I need to make sure I keep moving?

Really? So I would hop on shanty bay and hug the shore past new ark and get off at campbells? I thought the trail from Campbells to Ghurst wasn't open yet? Also, how good is the ice? Do I need to make sure I keep moving?

Trails are still a no go. We jump through from the trail entrance at Cambells past the trailer storage area to the 2 marshes and onto pigeon lake to deer to Pine to Muskoka bay.

Whats between the marshes and lakes is ridable, chitty but rideable.

Ice is 10 to 12 inches until south of the new ark. there was 6 in the narrows and 12 in the main channel all the way to the landing.

Thanks! I have never been across any of those lakes except pine lake. Not to sure where to go once I get on the trail behind campbells.

On the lake, do I go on the outside or inside of Miller and Taylor Island?

Thanks! I have never been across any of those lakes except pine lake. Not to sure where to go once I get on the trail behind campbells.

On the lake, do I go on the outside or inside of Miller and Taylor Island?

If you don't know the back lake route, you could definately end up lost in the marshes although there are probably easily seen tracks now without any real snow cover.

Easy to remember after you follow someone through but probably not so easy to figure out.

The channel between Taylor and main land is known safe. Outside the islands is unknown right now. We have not checked east of firebrand island and I would suggest staying to the west side of it. The south end of the channel between Taylor and Miller was still unsafe last weekend.

Thanks! One last question. Do I hop on at shanty bay (by where barlochan store used to be) or at the end of wares road?

Sorry but I am not familiar with "wares" road. Where does that road start and end?

Goes off walkers point at the top of the hill by the welders. There are a few trails that go off of it (one that wraps around the pond you can see from walkers point road) and lead to the trails across the hwy.

I'm starting to get the feeling "if you don't know, don't go".

But, if you do go, take pictures and post (just kidding - don't slow down)

:-):shock:

Goes off walkers point at the top of the hill by the welders. There are a few trails that go off of it (one that wraps around the pond you can see from walkers point road) and lead to the trails across the hwy.

I don't usually drive in WP road. Where is it in relation to Pine Needle point road, Renley road or the community center?

Further in just past Renley. Shanty Bay is in between Wares road and Walkers point road/sydney road. It Goes Wares Road (on left), Renley Road (on right), Pine Needle point road (on left) and then the community centre (on left)

Further in just past Renley. Shanty Bay is in between Wares road and Walkers point road/sydney road. It Goes Wares Road (on left), Renley Road (on right), Pine Needle point road (on left) and then the community centre (on left)

Then I would use wares road to get on Shanty bay, stay north west of firebrand island and run straight down past the ark.

Then I would use wares road to get on Shanty bay, stay north west of firebrand island and run straight down past the ark.

I wouldn't advise using Wares road to access the bay. the first 1/2 of Wares Rd is maintained by the township, the rest down to the lake is Wares private property. The wares have a number of houses / cottages and you'll ride right pass their doors. unless you know them very well and they have said it ok for YOU to travel, good luck making it through if they are around. they don't want sleds down that way due to the safety of their grand kids who walk and ride their kid sleds on the unmainted road on the provate property section. Maybe you can tell Rippintheyammi about the concession/right of way across from the OLD firehall. This leads down to Shanty bay. I would tell him but I'm on my way to work.

I wouldn't advise using Wares road to access the bay. the first 1/2 of Wares Rd is maintained by the township, the rest down to the lake is Wares private property. The wares have a number of houses / cottages and you'll ride right pass their doors. unless you know them very well and they have said it ok for YOU to travel, good luck making it through if they are around. they don't want sleds down that way due to the safety of their grand kids who walk and ride their kid sleds on the unmainted road on the provate property section. Maybe you can tell Rippintheyammi about the concession/right of way across from the OLD firehall. This leads down to Shanty bay. I would tell him but I'm on my way to work.

You make an excellent point. As I stated, I am not familiar with Ware's road. Never been on it.

As for the right of way, I think you just DID tell him about it. :)

Archived