Lithium-ion Batteries

bbakernbay

One of our Club Directors and I were out yesterday doing some signing.

I brought my new Ridgid Li-Ion rechargeable and he had his Craftsman Ni-Cad. It was just a few degrees below freezing, a beautiful day to be on the trails.

My Lithium-Ion driver was useless in the cold, his Ni-Cad was great.

I did some checking on the internet and sure enough, lithium-ion has many benefits but cold weather operation is not suited to Li-ion. Lots of contractors are pissed as a result.

Stick with the Ni-Cads for trail signing.

One of our Club Directors and I were out yesterday doing some signing.

I brought my new Ridgid Li-Ion rechargeable and he had his Craftsman Ni-Cad. It was just a few degrees below freezing, a beautiful day to be on the trails.

My Lithium-Ion driver was useless in the cold, his Ni-Cad was great.

I did some checking on the internet and sure enough, lithium-ion has many benefits but cold weather operation is not suited to Li-ion. Lots of contractors are pissed as a result.

Stick with the Ni-Cads for trail signing.

My 18v Dewalt has been used and left in the truck for 3 weeks and has been working great. I can't remember if it is NiCd or NiMH.

Had to go look and it's NiCd.

Easy fix is to secure a chemical hand warmer pack to the battery. Works like a dream.

Easy fix is to secure a chemical hand warmer pack to the battery. Works like a dream.

THANKS !!!

Maybe I can get my Lithium-ion Vibrating Butt Plug to work in the Igloo tonight !

Don't forget the lithium grease!

THANKS !!!

Maybe I can get my Lithium-ion Vibrating Butt Plug to work in the Igloo tonight !

Don't forget the lithium grease!

thankths ;-)

You may want to check with Duwalt....usually the lithium-ion perform much better in the cold.

I have used the Energizer e-photo AA Lithium-ion cells in camera, flashlights, and GPS units for winter sledding and fall/spring camping (even my Lithium-ion VHF does very well)...they work much better in the cold than any other technology thus far? I recommend the AA for all devices that take them (in cold weather)...but admit I am surprised it doesn't work well in your Duwalt? Perhaps it isn't a true Lithium-ion technology?

Spoke with the Dewalt rep at the cottage show...yup, below 5 deg Celsius lithium-ion degrade quite fast.....it's just physics.

They are awesome for anything warmer so wait until February, Dewalt is putting Lithium-Ion on sale, they work with all Ni-Cad devices....lighter and a lot longer!

all the info I am reading say the opposite to what is being said here,,,, :wtf::wtf:

Nickel metal hydride (NiMH) advantages:

-- lighter than NiCad

-- 2-3X capacity to equal size NiCad

Nickel metal hydride (NiMH) disadvantages:

-- fewer life cycles compared to NiCad

-- shorter run time

-- performs the worst in cold temperatures, so keep that in mind if you plan to use tools powered by NiMH outdoors in cold weather

-- higher self-discharge level than NiCad

-- voltage drop at near-discharged levels

Nickel cadmium (NiCd) Batteries:

According to Wiki pedia: the 'nickel-cadmium battery (commonly abbreviated NiCd and pronounced 'nye-cad') is a popular type of rechargeable battery for portable electronics and toys using the metals nickel (Ni) and cadmium (Cd) as the active chemicals.'

Nickel cadmium (NiCad) advantages:

-- longer life cycles

-- performs in cold temperatures (perform well to 20F)

-- lower self-discharge level than NiMH

-- no voltage drop at near discharged levels

Nickel cadmium (NiCad) disadvantages:

-- Heavy, making it harder to use for longer periods of time

-- May suffer from 'Memory Effect' or 'False Bottom Effect' if constantly discharged half-way and then recharged (wiki pedia)

The Lithium ion (Li-Ion) Battery:

The new comer to power tool batteries, Lithium Ion are hot because they have 'one of the best energy-to-weight ratios, no memory effect and a slow loss of charge when not in use,' according to Wiki pedia.

Lithium ion (Li-Ion) advantages:

-- High performance in cold weather - to 0F - great for winter outdoor use

-- Light weight. You can lift tools powered by Lithium Ion over your head all day.

-- Increased life cycles over NiCad and NiMH, so it keeps going past other batteries

-- more rapid charge times that get you back on the job more quickly

Lithium ion (Li-Ion) disadvantages:

-- less tested than other battery formats - in early stages of development

-- has a shelf life based on life of battery, not related to charge or charge time

-- can sometimes erupt or explode in high heat - hot cars, direct sunlight, etc, or sometimes after tampering. a more dangerous battery than the others

-- permanent damage to battery if stored at too-low discharge level, so be careful and keep these charged well

Archived