Burks falls?

skidoo700jay

Hey just wondering if this area is getting any of these snow squalls????? and how much is on the ground

Hey just wondering if this area is getting any of these snow squalls????? and how much is on the ground

Don't get your hopes up, skidoo700jay...although I'm in Huntsville rather than Burk's Falls, I expect the conditions there are pretty similar.

The squalls over the last few days have barely touched this whole north Muskoka and east Parry Sound district. That's because the wind has been N/W, so almost all of the lake-effect squalls have been dumping on Simcoe County and other areas to the south and west, in the southern lee of Lake Huron and Georgian Bay...not to the east of the Bay, unfortunately. Consequently, all we've seen over the last 2-3 days is a few cms of wind-blown fluff, on top of the 10 cms or so we already had from late last week.

The good news is that the weather has been steadily cold for several days now (e.g. low tonight is to be -12C); given the thin snow cover, these temperatures should really help get some frost into the ground, which is just saturated with moisture after the heavy rains we had up this way a week ago before it turned cold.

Thanks for the update Bob. I rather it be cold and now snow up there right now. I have more snow in Newmarket than in Muskoka and it's just covering unfrozen ground. Keep bringing on the cold!

We are excavating at work and yes the rain and cold temps are freezing the ground fast , everymorning there is a new layer of frozen ground , going to Cuba Sat, hopefully it snows alot and I can play when I get home

MM

They are saying now that there is sufficient snow to begin packing and possibly opening some trails on a limited basis, i hope that it stays cold and adds some fresh stuff

still need more snow befor they will groom.the weather net work shows no snow for the next week,, lets hope there are wrong like normal.

• 3 weeks later...

Well just came back from the north, and there is about 6 to 8 inches, not very much, but i still hear and see some clowns riding on the trails even if there closed, then they will be complaining about damage to sleds , the property owners will complain about damage to their property.....when will people learn?????????

Weather network says there looking at another 6 inches over this weekend so keep your fingers crossed....still very cold at night, -22 the othewr night..........

Question re: Katrine, Ontario. We've stopped in the General Store (maybe with a hair salon attached ??) to warm up on one of those -20 days. Is there a restaurant or something similar in town? Riding from the west, we'd like to bypass the hustle and bustle of Sprucedale, and wonder if Katrine has a place. I guess the next place north would be Burks Falls. Anything there?

[

Nothing in Katrine other than the marina, they really only have gas and some parts....then to burks falls which has the village restaurant on the main drag, another 15 min or so you could hit pickeral lake lodge ....hope this helps

Thanks. Helped a lot. Is pickerel lake lodge a full service winter restaurant, or for it's guests only ??

Trying to find new destinations this year, and will go a bit further than Sprucedale.

Thanks. Helped a lot. Is pickerel lake lodge a full service winter restaurant, or for it's guests only ??

Trying to find new destinations this year, and will go a bit further than Sprucedale.

Canuck, Pickerel Lake Lodge has a full-service winter restaurant, and they welcome non-staying guests coming in off the trail for a meal.

Great to hear. Thanks.

Archived