The Official 2011 Halfway Haven Conditions Thread

Ox

Again this yr - keep in mind that I am not Gail, I am not blonde, I am not even female. Anything posted in red and quotes is a repost written by Gail of Halfway. Anything NOT in red or quotes is via me.

Like this right here that you are reading right now? This is me.

That in red down below is her. Get it? Got it? Goooood... RockOn2.gif

Lets try to keep it strait this yr eh? ;-)

Hi Guys!

Yes indeed it is time to start snow report, Steve & I got back to the lodge on Mon. (from holidaying), to arrive to about 3" of snow, so it was the right color just no accumulation,

However, overnite, we woke up to a ft. of snow on the ground, and it has been snowing/blowing all day, so we now have about 18" on the ground-------------so it's starting to shape up into winter!! Steve has been operating a shovel (yes indeed) and the snowblower all day trying to keep ahead!!!!! Now mind you the weatherman mentioned the rain word in the next few days----so I will keep you posted as to what materializes here!

Over & Out

Sun tanned ---but quickly fading (the tan that is, not me)

Gail

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dear Gail good to hear that you are not fading . Sorry about the tan however,and the rain.

also good to hear that you are not ox .

I have heard many great reports of your hospitality and look forward to meeting you guys someday .

Good luck and may you have a great year.

Ox I also hope that you have a great year with many awesome miles.

Hey Ox, nice try but I need a clarification here. Is the reason you're posting the Halfway reports from Gail due to her not being on this forum?

And if so, when someone responds back to Gail, does that mean she doesn't see the response? :?:

And if not, do you forward on that person's and everybody elses good wishes back to Gail? (I think that'd be a real admirable of you). ;-)

And if not, how many times will you have to remind folks they ain't talking to Gail before you give up? :banghead:

This is gonna be a hoot if it keeps up at this pace. :-D

I suspect that at Halfway the world of high speed internet is not the same as it is elsewhere.

Gail is lucky to have a friend like OX to relay these messages .

We are lucky to be able to recieve these messages

Thanks OX and Gail

So this is how we're gunna play it eh?

Gunna be a long yr, I can see it now.... Faint.gif

ox, we really appreciate the updates, helps us plan trips, and always nice to see how steve and gail are doing in the bush. same reason i like to watch mo's snow cam. always, nice to see/hear updates from our friends. ski

So this is how we're gunna play it eh?

Gunna be a long yr, I can see it now.... Faint.gif

Gail, I too appreciate these posts as they're very helpful. Can't wait to see you and Steve. Send my best to Ox. :-D

Like this right here that you are reading right now? This is me.

That in red down below is her. Get it? Got it? Goooood...

We met Gail the season before last. Wonderful person.

Thanks for the updates.

And thanks, Whoopi ( I mean Ox) for chanelling the voices from the great white north. :)

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Everyone!

Not a whole lot to report-about 10" total of snow on the ground here, bright sunny day right now, but a big storm is to be blowing in, so will let you know after that goes tru! No riders tru the yard yet----but it is only Dec. 11th!!!

Off to make soup, just in case!!!

Over & Out

Gail

Hi Everyone!

Well, the storm blew in, and blew out over the weekend but did not really leave us much new snow. We now have about 13 inches on the ground! And it's bitter cold!!! Have not seen any sleds yet, will keep you posted, but as of now-----thats it, thats all!!!

Bye

Gail

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Guys!

The fact that I have not been sending snow reports, means that it hasn't really been snowing. At present we have about 12" on the ground here at Halfway-------however we did see our very first sleds today. They motored up to km 36 on the Whitman Dam Road, and sleded from there to here. They said the ride was great, 2 small trees down that they were able to get around----and driving on about 4" packed base with about 8 to 10 inches of loose snow on top----so they enjoyed their ride--so there you go-----finally some kinda report!!!!

Bye for now, and Happy Boxing Day!!!

Gail & Steve & Billie the dog---------------------poor Billie had not seen any guests for so long, she barked and groweled when they drove into the yard!! Must remind her she is a resort dog!!!

Hi Guys!!

No snow, it's rain today---how sad!!!!! So the 12" of snow we did have is shrinking as I type --- So turn your machines off for now--------------and hopefully we can tell you to start them soon!!

HAPPY NEW YEARS to everyone!! and hope to enter into 2011-------and able to do real SNOW REPORTS for you!!!!!!!

From Gail & Steve & Billie the dog

Ox is out of town for a few days and since I used to be blonde before I turned gray, he asked me to post any updates from Gail. Here's the Jan 3rd update and it's good news.

Hi Everyone!

Well we got tru the very mild New Years, and had a nice snow storm yesterday-----so bottom line is there is 13" of snow in our yard at this point---about 5" of good old base---and about 7" of brand new snow!!! So it is once again heading in the right direction, looking like a winter wonderland--so will let you know soon as there is any activity tru the yard!! So far it was only me on the snow blower today!!!!

Bye for now!

Gail

Ox is out of town for a few days and since I used to be blonde before I turned gray, he asked me to post any updates from Gail. Here's the Jan 3rd update and it's good news.

Was Ox in any way responsable for the gray ?

Thanks for the Halfway Haven updates.

More snow than I thought!

Great news.

Was Ox in any way responsable for the gray ?

Spend too much time riding with Ox and you go directly to bald - don't pass gray, don't collect $200, just keep diggin' and pullin'.

Spend too much time riding with Ox and you go directly to bald - don't pass gray, don't collect $200, just keep diggin' and pullin'.

Machine goes a LOT better now!

Didn't git too much riding time in, but we had GREAT snow conditions at Wolf Creek Pass.

Our last ride which was with you two yrs ago, my machine was running a little fat it seemed, and on the way back to the truck the next day I had a heck'uv'a time making any decent sized hills in the warm weather. Seemed the DPM wasn't werking at all. When I was puting back together the other day I found the vac lines were off of both carbs. ??? I don't know if they were off the last ride somehow or what? No idea how they would have came off on their own. ???

It was cold where we were riding, but we were at 10K+ feet, and it didn't seem to run fat at all. So that's great.

The new 16 x 162 x 2-1/4 does a swell job! Also - left the snow flap off and I think I like that better. The flap seems to create too much trouble. But you need scratchers up front to keep cool tho.

Kid got a cpl pics from his phone. I found one tree planted in a place that it shouldn't have been, and that is documented as well... ;-) I will have to git them from him.

Sledding was a side part of a business trip, so we didn't git a lot in. But was very happy with results! And we didn't lose anyone in a avi either! (They had just gotten 90+ inches where we were.)

Thanks for covering for me Bill!

After 9 days on the road - living out of a multitude of duffel bags for work, play, camping, and sales call, it's good to be home! I haven't been gone that long since our first tour of N Ontario sledding trip '96/97!

Pic of our rig. There is sleds in the front.

NewYearsTripTruckTrailerJan2011.jpg

Now I gotta start to unload and put all tools back where they go.

Think Snow Eh!

Ox

EDIT:

Got the pics from his cell phone.

Nothing too impressive, but better than riding in Ontario so far this yr.

WestOfSummitville1Jan20111.jpg

WestOfSummitville2Jan20111.jpg

Hi Ox, looks like the trip out west was fun. Glad your sled is running better, plus the bigger track. Maybe less digging next trip for everyone that way, Bill included. :) Your lines might have came off on your minor tie rod repair out in the bush?

Jack

I saw your post on that other site the other day.

Good grief - quite the troll are you?

I doubt that I will ever figger out the DPM tubes thing. ???

Maybe we'll just call it sabatoge. That must be it eh? StirShitUp.gif

But I doubt that tie rod chane had much to doo with it. I wonder if a backfire could have done that? My sled seldom backfires, so that seems like a bit of a longshot, but ???

Wish there was something new (and good) to report for Halfway here. We have snow comming here tomorrow they say.... The news didn't look like this was going to git too far north tho. Maybe Perry Sound will catch some of it?

You don't really want to compare down time that day doo you?

I have pics you know....

Blackmail-2.0.jpg

Think Snow Eh!

Ox

You don't really want to compare down time that day doo you?

I have pics you know....

Ox, Ox, Ox,

Don't you remember? Every time you took a pic, I took two.

post-20244-0-28609600-1294944502_thumb.jpg

Sure you wanna go there?

Ox, Ox, Ox,

Don't you remember? Every time you took a pic, I took two.

post-20244-0-28609600-1294944502_thumb.jpg

Sure you wanna go there?

Let's see:

10 minutes to fix a radius rod

One stuck where I took the corner too tight in the trees....

One stuck on the hydro trying to link two tower trails.... (Blame this one on running fat)

All told don't come close to your belt issue. I have the pic somewhere... Hoping not to hafta go find it.

It's not already loaded onto photobucket, so let's not make me doo it eh?

B/c I would hafta post that same pic forty leven times to show the duration .....

although - your chumms nose dive WAS a good pic! :coffeespit:

Hey! Looky here!

An honest to goodness trail report! :mrgreen:

I can't believe that we are ending up with a repeat of last yr aggin! :whatever:

At least '98 was only ONE winter! But in all fairness, we got '98's snow in '97 too.

I had 8 riders (family with children) ride from Searchmont, they said the bypass trail was very rough (lack of snow), but it got better as they got farther north, but it did take them about 4 hours to get here!

I had 2 riders come from Wawa, they said Wawa also is shy of snow, but once they got out of Wawa it was a real good ride, with about a ft. of snow in most places! They did encounter an open creek, but dealt with it by arrangeing pallets!

Anyhow, hoping for snow tonight-----so will do my snow dance (with proper foot attire this time----last time failed), and keep you updated!!!

Bye for now!!!

Dancing Fool

Gail

After reading one of the mags, I'm thinkin' of heading to Main and riding the border. That looks like my kinda riding! And the NE has a wee bit of snow eh?

Archived