? Groomer Whereabouts tonight?

windsurfnut

I dont get how any club can run out of money this early in the season

The clubs have operating costs even if the grass remains green throughout the entire season. When the permit sales and any other sources of income do not cover the expenses, the club is out of money. If you recall, the price of the permit increased this season. While I do not disagree with the decision, any kind of price increase will always push away customers. Rumour has it that sales are down 30%. That is a pretty significant drop in revenue over last year.

I am tempted to say how can you run out of money but that is easy my tells me she has run out of money all the time by spending it all.

The only question is how could it all have been spent given that we have had a late start to the season to begin with and the club for Holland Landing just got their groomer out for the first time this week. Many clubs haven't even opened trails this year.

Is it truly an out of money situation or is it a situation that there are a number of clubs sitting on some cash since they didn't spend any on grooming.

The next dumb question comes to mind. IF

The clubs who didn't open their trails are not sitting on a bunch of money that would mean that the money that was available for grooming has been consumed by a smaller number of clubs overall this year. Logic then extrapolates that the if the cash available for grooming was consumed only by those clubs who actually opened their trails... had this been a typical winter with lots of snow and all clubs with open trails we would have run out of money for grooming possibly late January.

If my season becomes 4 weekends long since I work mid week and I have 8 days to sled due to a lack of cash for grooming I believe I would have to look real hard at the value proposition. The ungroomed trails become real painful real quick.

Everybody keeps referring to how the permit sales are down. Well yes... little or much less snow than normal... bad economy... and an increase in permit costs. I look at this from a business perspective and while everyone else in the tourism industry is also hurting and yes the OFSC is a tourism industry... everyon else is having specials and reduced rates to entice people to avail themselves of their service. That is the way the world works in economics. The laws of supply and demand dictate cost and value.

We have been down this road before but perhaps the OFSC needs to have a well qualified CEO paid an appropriate salary to run the show. This is a business. It was foolish to raise the cost at a time when many families are struggling to stay afloat. That is the government style thinking.

Well they already have some very well paid personel. The budgets received this year were allocated on last years funds, next year will be slimmer for sure and if they are runing out of money now, which I do find hard to beleive, and we get a great winter next year they will be out mid Janruary, and that will really put the damoers on snowmobiling here for sure. Sno Bombers are the last ones who should run out of money, at least according to George. - Bill

I knew exactly that some clubs had run out of money and my response was completely facetious.

My point is this. It is utterly ridiculous that the OFSC is run as a bunch of little clubs under the umbrella of a large entity. It should be run as one large entity with a bunch of little feeder clubs.

But that will not change. Anytime something logical gets proposed, its met with outcries of ridiculousness, and the local clubs and landowners wont stand for it. Never work, they say!

My trail pass from last year said OFSC on it, not Du ya wanna snowmobile club as that is where I purchased it. Why is the trail permit an MTO regulated item and the pass clearly says OFSC on it but then we let small individual clubs run what we purchase. It doesnt make sense.

Now a lot of people think that I dont like volunteers or the small clubs, that is not true.

What is true is we have a 20 million dollar entity that should be 30+ million run as a grassroots organization. And to top it off people complain when their club runs out of money.

The organization should be run as one entity with a paid staff, not just a CEO. I think that isnt enough. I think that centralized control should be held with defferance to the individual clubs needs. All cheques and controls should be set by the central organisation.

Its 40,000 km of trails, 231 clubs and 20 million dollars. Change for the better should be implemented.

My 2 cents!

I knew exactly that some clubs had run out of money and my response was completely facetious.

My point is this. It is utterly ridiculous that the OFSC is run as a bunch of little clubs under the umbrella of a large entity. It should be run as one large entity with a bunch of little feeder clubs.

But that will not change. Anytime something logical gets proposed, its met with outcries of ridiculousness, and the local clubs and landowners wont stand for it. Never work, they say!

My trail pass from last year said OFSC on it, not Du ya wanna snowmobile club as that is where I purchased it. Why is the trail permit an MTO regulated item and the pass clearly says OFSC on it but then we let small individual clubs run what we purchase. It doesnt make sense.

Now a lot of people think that I dont like volunteers or the small clubs, that is not true.

What is true is we have a 20 million dollar entity that should be 30+ million run as a grassroots organization. And to top it off people complain when their club runs out of money.

The organization should be run as one entity with a paid staff, not just a CEO. I think that isnt enough. I think that centralized control should be held with defferance to the individual clubs needs. All cheques and controls should be set by the central organisation.

Its 40,000 km of trails, 231 clubs and 20 million dollars. Change for the better should be implemented.

My 2 cents!

Not everyone agrees with everyone. In this case I agree with the bunny. OFSC should be one large business run like a business by quality, qualified individuals.

The OFSC sure needs to step out of the 1970's

Proper office staff

Proper directors

Proper marketing strategists

A business valuation done by a CA

Tighter control over all of the clubs and their directions

Be a bigger resource for those clubs under it's wings and promote those clubs

FQ

Your new signature has me puzzled. :wtf: :wtf:

God hates mobile trailers!

Aren't they ALL supposed to be mobile???? :-D :grin: :-D

And they call ME Trailer Trash :rotflmao::wavey: :wavey: