Dunahmic trail update--Mckellar/Dunchurch

xcsldr

Hey everyone

All of our trails with the exception of the 805 are opened "limited" . Trails are rideable and for the most part in good shape but not yet perfect. A little more snow and our trails should be upgraded to open.

c101 and c104d are groomed mon, thurs and sat nights.

800 series during weekend

805(pikes peak) has been groomed but one water crossing ( at grey owl) remains unsafe so trail is listed as closed. Staking not complete.

Check our website for more info

unfortunately im in the city this weekend slomo...but hopefully will be riding next weekend if the weather holds up. I sure hope we dont get another downpour as this would be the 4th one this year...

Hey everyone

All of our trails with the exception of the 805 are opened "limited" . Trails are rideable and for the most part in good shape but not yet perfect. A little more snow and our trails should be upgraded to open.

c101 and c104d are groomed mon, thurs and sat nights.

800 series during weekend

805(pikes peak) has been groomed but one water crossing ( at grey owl) remains unsafe so trail is listed as closed. Staking not complete.

Check our website for more info

Hey XCsldr,

Thanks for the update. We are planning a trip to the French & Pickerel river bridges area on Feb.14. I'd like to see what you think of our planned route. Leaving Kearney west on the Sequin to C101 north to C104D west to 604 west to C to Pointe au Baril, C north to the bridges, stay at the Owl's Nest. Next day C105D east to Sundridge & south back to Kearney. Does this sound reasonable to you for 6 experienced riders? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Hey XCsldr,

Thanks for the update. We are planning a trip to the French & Pickerel river bridges area on Feb.14. I'd like to see what you think of our planned route. Leaving Kearney west on the Sequin to C101 north to C104D west to 604 west to C to Pointe au Baril, C north to the bridges, stay at the Owl's Nest. Next day C105D east to Sundridge & south back to Kearney. Does this sound reasonable to you for 6 experienced riders? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Although its 10days away watch for conditions north of pointe au baril as they are skinny on snow.

Trails are usually in decent shape on Thurs and Fri and it will take about 6 hours each way.

If you want to quicken it up take snakeskin lk trail (beside the c104d) to bypass about 15km before ardbeg.

Alternate to c101 stay on seguin towards Parry Sound and get gas at the Tim Hortons/Petro Canada. Go north on C but turn right at first intersection (quality inn/jolly roger) take tunnel under highway and follow the C bypass(sweet trail although its not open yet) When you get to the first trail intersection (about 20km) make a left instead of following C north via the hydroline, cross hwy 124 and take 9mile lake trail which will connect again to the C trail. This choice is probably faster cause your riding all the way to the west on seguin and 9mile lake vs c101/c104d to ardbeg although the seguin is pretty boring.

Hope this helps....

As for Gas

If your taking the c101 gas up at Duck Rock Shell in Dunchurch. I believe the Shell station in Pointe au baril is still closed but there is gas in key river.

Hey XCsldr,

Although its 10days away watch for conditions north of pointe au baril as they are skinny on snow.

Trails are usually in decent shape on Thurs and Fri and it will take about 6 hours each way.

If you want to quicken it up take snakeskin lk trail (beside the c104d) to bypass about 15km before ardbeg.

Alternate to c101 stay on seguin towards Parry Sound and get gas at the Tim Hortons/Petro Canada. Go north on C but turn right at first intersection (quality inn/jolly roger) take tunnel under highway and follow the C bypass(sweet trail although its not open yet) When you get to the first trail intersection (about 20km) make a left instead of following C north via the hydroline, cross hwy 124 and take 9mile lake trail which will connect again to the C trail. This choice is probably faster cause your riding all the way to the west on seguin and 9mile lake vs c101/c104d to ardbeg although the seguin is pretty boring.

Hope this helps....

As for Gas

If your taking the c101 gas up at Duck Rock Shell in Dunchurch. I believe the Shell station in Pointe au baril is still closed but there is gas in key river.

Thanks XCsldr, I appreciate the info. Owl's Nest Rick, one of the groomer operators up by the bridges was kind enough to give me a call this morning & he informs me that unless they get a lot more snow soon, this trip isn't really dooable yet. He confirmed what you said about the C heading north from Parry Sound. He also said that conditions between Ardbeg & Port Loring were also pretty thin. Looks like if they don't get a lot more snow soon, the bridges might have to wait. Thanks again.

Hey Everyone

All Dunahmic trails have been upgraded to "OPEN" with the exception of the 805 (Pikes Peak) which is limited. Ahmic Lake is not staked yet but we will take a look this weekend. All other lake trails in our network are staked.

Enjoy!

Hey sledders

All of Dunahmic's trails are now OPEN and all lakes within our boundary have been staked.

This past weekends snow will go a long way in filling up any of the remaining holes and washouts. Grooming has been challenging to say the least due to the limited snow especially in the northern limits of the Parry Sound area. The c101 was groomed in its entire length (first half thurs and second have fri night) and by lunchtime saturday it was in rough shape due to traffic/snow/waterholes.

After this weeks grooming I would expect our trails to be in their best shape of the season.

We will be grooming more than usual this coming weekend to try and keep trails in good shape over the long weekend.

Please stay on trail and follow stake lines over water crossings.

Enjoy and ride safe!

Hey xcsldr,

Just wondering from the seguin up C101 north to Dunchurch is like? Tried last week to get up that way but trail was in not good of shape. Niagara County Sno-Seekers will be heading up Tuesday to Kearney and would like to ride there Wednesday! Thanks for the info. When we get back Saturday will post pics and trail report again!!

We were on the 101 coming south from 801 to 803 on Friday afternoon and it was in pretty tough shape.

Ahmic Lake was staked. 803 was good.

Ahmic was staked Friday morning and that section of the c101 from c104d to 804 was groomed on Friday evening. I agree it was pretty tough going and that water hole just north of the 803 was fun. Even though it was groomed friday by saturday at noon it was already tore up. It doesnt take long when the temps are hovering around zero.

Hey xcsldr,

Just wondering from the seguin up C101 north to Dunchurch is like? Tried last week to get up that way but trail was in not good of shape. Niagara County Sno-Seekers will be heading up Tuesday to Kearney and would like to ride there Wednesday! Thanks for the info. When we get back Saturday will post pics and trail report again!!

The new snow should help plug any of the remaining washouts and waterholes but theres still a bit of running water in a couple of spots as of this past weekend. Hopefully the cold temps over the next day or two will help with that. They should be grooming over the next couple of days so I imagine you'll be ok by Wednesday.

Hey xcsldr,

The new snow should help plug any of the remaining washouts and waterholes but theres still a bit of running water in a couple of spots as of this past weekend. Hopefully the cold temps over the next day or two will help with that. They should be grooming over the next couple of days so I imagine you'll be ok by Wednesday.

Hey Xcsldr,

Thanks for the update. We're planning a trip to the French river & back this Thurs. & Fri.

What's the best way to get from Dunchurch to Port Loring? 600 seems to be the most direct, but a lot of lake running. What do you know about D102C & C105D over to Key River. If you're not sure is there anyone else on the OC that I could PM for some current info?

Hey xcsldr,

Hey Xcsldr,

Thanks for the update. We're planning a trip to the French river & back this Thurs. & Fri.

What's the best way to get from Dunchurch to Port Loring? 600 seems to be the most direct, but a lot of lake running. What do you know about D102C & C105D over to Key River. If you're not sure is there anyone else on the OC that I could PM for some current info?

600 lake trail is definitely the fastest to Port Loring. You might want to check snow conditions as the last I heard they are still pretty skinny on snow north of Pointe au Barile on the C trail.

Hey xcsldr,

Hey Xcsldr,

600 lake trail is definitely the fastest to Port Loring. You might want to check snow conditions as the last I heard they are still pretty skinny on snow north of Pointe au Barile on the C trail.

Do you know if ALL the lakes on 600 are staked & safe?

Hey xcsldr,

Hey Xcsldr,

Do you know if ALL the lakes on 600 are staked & safe?

600 lake trail is staked & safe http://www.argyleriders.com/

All Dunahmic trails are open. The cold temps and new snow have helped our trails considerably. Extra grooming going on over the weekend because of the long weekend.

Trails are in best condition of the year.

Was out on a wandering tour Saturday...Dunahmic, Cramadog, Magnetawan trails, nice easy day.Trails were in good shape and a lot less traffic than anticipated. :wtf: Maybe cold spell forecast next week will help set up trails after rain Sunday and Monday.

Difficult to describe but the actual physical condition of the snow made for very good riding...cold flakes, not fluffy but substantive and no sticking. Nice thick snow on Manitowabing was as close to water skipping as a touring couch could get without water. Sled nicely 'floated' over a foot or so of depth.

Sorry no pictures...made lunch, got out early, warmed sled, took off with song in heart, forgot camera.

Friday evening Feb 22...on the drive up -2- Parry Sound this afternoon....things looked largely solid freezing wise through Gravenhurst, Bala, Foots Bay etc. and trails in that area were flat but there was snow cover.

Closer to Dunahmic area, large 2 foot deep pond of water from Sunday's rain proximate to C trail and highway 124 was frozen over and judging by sled traffic marks was supporting weight.

Not much snow over the week...just a skiff when I got here, but neighbour was out and reports ice crossings bumpy. May be good opportunity to go for 'forest' ride as snow is pretty solid. Judging from my own packed trail at camp, lube and cooling may be marginal and icy sections will be apparent. Will be able to report better on conditions tomorrow when out on trails.

I managed just over 300 miles in the Parry Sound area this past weekend. Clubs did a great job grooming whatever base we have left. No washouts remaining but snow is thin with the odd rock sticking out. All trails are hard and fast with icy sections. Road sections are bare. Lakes are extremely rutted and bogie wheel busting....stay off the beaten path.

D102C- ok shape but needs snow.

c101- Was in really good shape all weekend. No washouts to report. Icy Sections. All 800 series trails were very nice except the 805. It needs snow.

c104d- Between Junction of c101 and Ardbeg...not very good shape...needs snow

C trail- North of Ardbeg is fantastic all the way to Pointe Au Barile

-Avoid the hydroline section south of Ardbeg, its garbage...take nine mile lake

Carling 401/402/404/405----Could use a bit more snow but fantastic...Flat and hard no holes..only the odd rock

Magnetewan- 711 was decent, c104d is not good, 706 needed grooming, skinny on snow

Seguin- Actually had to ride it twice this weekend and it was in great shape

201- very nice

Archived