Dunahmic trail update--Mckellar/Dunchurch

xcsldr

We rode many of the same trails on Saturday (C104D, C101, 803, 805, MRR711, etc.). I echo everything you've said.

Another foot of snow and some cold weather would probably bring most of these trails back to life. They are among my favourites and when they're in good condition, they can't be beat. Love the trail onto Lorimer Lake, Shawiniga and through the back country. Some of the best scenery in the PSSD, in my opinion.

Sandy

There are no changes to report. No real new snow all week although the snow expected today will help with lube on the lakes and road sections.

All trails are open and are hard packed with the odd icy section and rock popping out.

Thanks for the update xcsldr...Ms. Slomo's been sick the last few weeks and this weekend promised her a Saturday at the Georgian Cross Country ski place...might take your advice re: 9 mile lake and north trails...drop her at the trails, drop sled at Kirkham Rd.

Missed not seeing any pictures from your 300 mile ride last weekend?

Thanks for the update xcsldr...Ms. Slomo's been sick the last few weeks and this weekend promised her a Saturday at the Georgian Cross Country ski place...might take your advice re: 9 mile lake and north trails...drop her at the trails, drop sled at Kirkham Rd.

Missed not seeing any pictures from your 300 mile ride last weekend?

My battery was dead on my camera as I forgot it in my windshield bag all week.

I was really impressed with the condition of those trails last weekend. Carling does a fantastic job.

If your at the ski centre take the 405/404/401 to C and then come south and grab the 402 and end back at the ski spot

All our trails are open. Some rain today but snowing now with more snow expected all week.

Please note that C101 has not been groomed from the junction of the 803 to the seguin in the last few days. One of our groomers is down and we are waiting for parts. Hopefully all in order by this weekend and the start of March Break.

Thanks again xcsldr...new snow looked good last weekend and the weather is encouraging for upcoming week. Bad weather, caught behind three snow plow 'conga lines' on 400 highways, stopping for 2 vehicles in ditch*, didn't get to camp until midnight Friday, too beat to sled Saturday. (wife got skiing in though) Due to packed snow,got out on a few lakes I can't normally access for a while on Sunday. Looking forward to decent conditions this weekend!

*Beat this... a guy passes us on 400 south of Waubashene at 110 kph or so on loose snow, ten minutes later he is in ditch. See if he's hurt, he is cursing snow plows for poor job. Offer to take him to the Sunoco to get tow truck. Wants me to pull him out with my truck in blizzard and the dark. No to that! Decides to wait by car for someone 'more generous' to come along! Took a few hours for normally mild mannered person to shake agitation at waste of time on that one.

Thanks again xcsldr...new snow looked good last weekend and the weather is encouraging for upcoming week. Bad weather, caught behind three snow plow 'conga lines' on 400 highways, stopping for 2 vehicles in ditch*, didn't get to camp until midnight Friday, too beat to sled Saturday. (wife got skiing in though) Due to packed snow,got out on a few lakes I can't normally access for a while on Sunday. Looking forward to decent conditions this weekend!

*Beat this... a guy passes us on 400 south of Waubashene at 110 kph or so on loose snow, ten minutes later he is in ditch. See if he's hurt, he is cursing snow plows for poor job. Offer to take him to the Sunoco to get tow truck. Wants me to pull him out with my truck in blizzard and the dark. No to that! Decides to wait by car for someone 'more generous' to come along! Took a few hours for normally mild mannered person to shake agitation at waste of time on that one.

Look on the bright side he may have waited quite a while ! :lol:

Wow. I think I would have given him a swift kick to the junk on that one. I can't believe he wanted you to do that, especially considering the conditions...

Wow. I think I would have given him a swift kick to the junk on that one. I can't believe he wanted you to do that, especially considering the conditions...

a little EXTREME ! understandable even I would have resorted to only a verbal onslaught and then wished him a very lengthy wait and even a slush slinging snow plow or two :rotflmao:

The first car we stopped for had already been on the cell phone for a tow and were well geared. This guy...well didn't wait around to find out much given his attitude, but with regard to above quote...occured to me after decompressing that maybe there was something in his trunk that wasn't supposed to be there...maybe got off lucky as it was.

Please note that C101 has not been groomed from the junction of the 803 to the seguin in the last few days. One of our groomers is down and we are waiting for parts. Hopefully all in order by this weekend and the start of March Break.

Any update on the status of the groomer?

Just got back from short 70 mile circle around...judging by what I saw groomer hasn't been out yet on C101 but it is in good shape at least between C104D and 804. Some large bumps, but no rock break throughs, some sections excellent. I think the grooming schedule is Friday nights?

Headed up 805 /Pikes Peak trail....bumby on land crossings but manageable...lake segments less rough from slush than previous due to new snow over past couple of days. Unanchored snow on ice could be a problem if you're not careful. Also noticed on all land trails icy sections now covered and hidden with loose snow. Met two fellas at C104D / 805 junction that came up from Parry Sound to lunch at Dunchurch...reported trails okay from that way.

53_866e3136f87118d736db97955362a010

65_866a395b84999c2ac60ddcc5b3c4a4d0

65_86bf27582f20d7a1e6eb35b1c811004b

65_b6c104948fa449d9937c9da1ac526179

Any update on the status of the groomer?

Hi

Groomer was repaired on Friday afternoon and went out on Friday night and again on Saturday late afternoon. All of the c101 and c104d were done minus the one km east of dunchurch. Heavy winds and drifting have filled in some spots but shouldn't be a problem. I just got back from Parry Sound so I was not able to update earlier. Anyways, all of our trails are groomed and conditions should be perfect over the march break. Lakes are interesting...no more ruts but plenty of drifts and mounds mixed with glare ice.

BTW trails were fantastic on Friday and Saturday. I have a few pics that I can post

Would love to see the pictures xcsldr....camera inoperative since Saturday. Tip of the hat to Dunahmic for signage...200% better than previous years! Just a quick question...the trail route map sign at the junction of C101 and 803 - has it been there all season? Seems the weekend before there was no sign, yet this weekend it was there...or my head's gone soft.

March break so far has been like practising for retirement :lol: Neighbour recently bought nearby 100 acres of bush for his atvs, but kept old junker sled....due to unusual hard packed snow conditions, Sunday allowed us a sled tour on his blazes through the woods and even with the 650 lb. couch machine, going was pretty easy. Day ended with slow cooked cheddar smokies on the barbeque.

What is noticeably absent is the gentle buzz of sleds in the distance? Off on a tour of Carling trails for a few hours yesterday, dropped at Oakridge road off Bayside Dr...sorry no camera as trails were great and hardly a sled to be seen! Even turning the clocks ahead has been a bonus as more daylight at the end of the day.

My recollections of this time last year...one good ride on the first day....rain for a week after that! Supposed to be milder and a bit of rain/snow on Thursday, but hope this won't dampen things too much.

Hey slomo

I thought you were just off the boundary road in McKellar and you trailered to the 400 series trails? Youd be there by sled in 10min from Mckellar.

The 405/404/401/402 are always in fine shape as they see little travel. I rode them all on Saturday and passed two sleds and one very lonely OPP constable just north of the Georgian XC ski.

I got an email last night from one of our groomers and he mentioned that the c101 was absolutely perfect condition after sat nights snow.

I am really hoping to get some riding in over easter...that would be the first time ever for me in parry sound area.

I thought you were just off the boundary road in McKellar and you trailered to the 400 series trails? Youd be there by sled in 10min from Mckellar.

Had some business in town that morning so dropped off on the way back from the dump....

The 10 minute route of which you speak...would that be by way of Trout Lake? Think I have a map you drew one time on the old forum...never been that way yet but probably pretty safe.

The 10 minute route of which you speak...would that be by way of Trout Lake? Think I have a map you drew one time on the old forum...never been that way yet but probably pretty safe.

Not quite...from Mckellar its a skip across Little Mckellar, Vowel Lake, Harris Lake, cross 124 at waubamik and onto campbells lake, short jaunt on Long Lake Estates Road and then onto the final small lake till you hit the hydroline. You will see where the groomer connects to Long Lake estates road from the C bypass just south of the junction of the C

63_0e89964efc7e1c2e6cca51a68232f465

Thanks for the map! Not to bring up past discussion that might piss people off...during the summer talked to various land owners regards property passage and got ok if needed...just have a thing about respect for other property. I'm sure you know these folks as well.

Completely off topic....need a pontoon boat for your lake? Was over in Smith Falls yesterday (conditions looked fabulous by the way) and ordered a small one from this place:

Thanks for the map! Not to bring up past discussion that might piss people off...during the summer talked to various land owners regards property passage and got ok if needed...just have a thing about respect for other property. I'm sure you know these folks as well.

Completely off topic....need a pontoon boat for your lake? Was over in Smith Falls yesterday (conditions looked fabulous by the way) and ordered a small one from this place:

Exchanged SD card...camera working again... :wtf:

I am really hoping to get some riding in over easter...that would be the first time ever for me in parry sound area.

Just got back... looks good so far....here is new snow since yesterday:

53_ab1f1865358708e98e21597fc102d25b

65_27300f97ab1c18703a55ba65876e3cb9

You getting the electric one ?

No....Suzuki makes a nice 50lb. 6 horse four stroke. Easy to lift off at end of season and maintain. Fuel tank is built on so eliminates tank and hoses. Comes with optional alternator for charging trolling motor batteries etc. Our lake is .8 of a mile long so just need platform for putting around. No bailing, leaves and pine needles just get swept off. Plan on coating plywood floor both sides with truck box liner with grit added. Probably set up patio set with umbrella. Should last for years.....

You getting the electric one ?

No....Suzuki makes a nice 50lb. 6 horse four stroke. Easy to lift off at end of season and maintain. Fuel tank is built on so eliminates tank and hoses. Comes with optional alternator for charging trolling motor batteries etc. Our lake is .8 of a mile long so just need platform for putting around. No bailing, leaves and pine needles just get swept off. Plan on coating plywood floor both sides with truck box liner with grit added. Probably set up patio set with umbrella. Should last for years.....

Try Sikkens Cetol with a little sand sprinkled in I am not sure the box liner stuff will stay adhered to wood.

Archived