OFSC Web Notice - PSSD

DWIGHT RX

FYI

Just read this message on the OFSC trail conditions website, this reads like a CYA release.

A Message from the OFSC - Closed

On Wednesday January 30, 2008, a message was posted on the trail status portion of the OFSC Web Site advising that “considering the actions of the Ministry of Labor against the volunteer grooming association, West Parry Sound Snowsport Association conducting business as Parry Sound Snowmobile District, the board of directors have ceased all operations with the exception of administration and will list all trails as closed until further noticeâ€. Development of the situation which led to this unilateral decision by the Parry Sound Snowmobile District (PSSD) starts with the tragic death in January 2007 of a snowmobile trail groomer operator while performing duties as an employee of PSSD. The entire snowmobile community was profoundly saddened by the event. Volunteers and staff in the Parry Sound area were understandably distraught over the loss of a friend and colleague. Over the year since the tragic event, the volunteer board of directors of the Parry Sound Snowmobile District has worked hard to first understand and then fulfill its legal obligations as an employer. This work was driven by a sincere wish to take all reasonable and required steps necessary to assure the safety of employees to the greatest possible extent. Considerable progress has been made. Despite its best continuous improvement efforts, the Parry Sound Snowmobile District was shocked when the Ministry of Labour laid charges against the volunteer board and its volunteer president in connection with the employment conditions that existed in January 2007. It was frustration and concern with these charges that appears to have led the Parry Sound Snowmobile District board to decide to close its trails until further notice. The organization has no desire to operate outside the law and felt it best to stop operations until clarification is received. The Ontario Federation of Snowmobile Clubs (OFSC) is working with the Parry Sound Snowmobile District (PSSD) to address the current situation while remaining respectful of the fact that as the Parry Sound Snowmobile District is the trail operator and it will be PSSD’s decision when to reopen the trails. They are reviewing their options and we trust that PSSD will advise the snowmobile community when they are ready to commence grooming operations and reopen trails once they are confident that appropriate measures are in place. In the meantime, we urge everyone in the snowmobile community to remain patient in understanding that the legal situation at the heart of the current situation must be provided time to resolve itself. As the issue is before the courts, it would be inappropriate for any party to comment on the proceedings. The Ontario Federation of Snowmobile Clubs continues to provide assistance and is supportive of the Parry Sound Snowmobile District as they seek a resolution to the issues at hand. *** Ontario Federation of Snowmobile Clubs

:wavey::wavey::wavey::wavey::wavey:

Remember when the goverment got involved in our sport, turned out just about the way I thought it would. Insane that a volunteer base organization/sport would turn their backs on the volunteers.. Once again, the classic "biting the hand that feeds you".... :wtf:

I am going to have to take sides with MOL. This afterall was a workplace accident which resulted in death of one of our dear own. It is the mandate of the MOL to investigate and if found guilty, lay charges. Unfortunately, it's the timing and the charges is what sucks here.

I'm pretty sure it's not just PSSD that is worrying but also the OFSC. This could have an effect to all the clubs.

Look to see some sort of safety guideline implemented.

skidoo rob

I am going to have to take sides with MOL. This afterall was a workplace accident which resulted in death of one of our dear own. It is the mandate of the MOL to investigate and if found guilty, lay charges...

Were the charged laid because someone was at fault or was it because of the unfortunate death of the operator. I think the latter.

I am...This could have an effect to all the clubs.

Until such a time do all clubs cease operations?

skidoo rob

Hey Rob.. And the cost of the changes that would be mandated (eg. groomer training, 2 guys in each groomer, insurance increases etc.) We will be paying a very heavy price for this imo... Let's see what happens, my guess is nothing for a longtime... An official statement from the MOL sure would be nice...

THE OCCUPATIONAL HEALTH AND SAFETY COUNCIL OF ONTARIO (OHSCO): ONTARIO’S OCCUPATIONAL HEALTH AND SAFETY SYSTEM

TORONTO--The Occupational Health and Safety Council of Ontario (OHSCO) is comprised of senior decision-makers from Ontario's occupational health and safety prevention system. The system is comprised of the Ministry of Labour, the Workplace Safety and Insurance Board (WSIB), the Institute for Work and Health and the Health and Safety Associations.

OHSCO sets priorities and develops strategies for improving the occupational health and safety system in Ontario. Their goal is to create healthy and safe workplaces and prevent all workplace injuries and fatalities. The OHSCO partners have distinct roles within the system.

Ministry of Labour

The Ministry of Labour is responsible for overseeing and enforcing provincial legislation and regulations with respect to occupational health and safety.

Specifically, the ministry's role is to:

Set, communicate and enforce occupational health and safety standards

Motivate, influence and regulate workplaces to reduce or eliminate injury or illness

Create an environment in workplaces where safety, productivity and competitiveness are inter-connected.

Workplace Safety and Insurance Board

The WSIB oversees Ontario's workplace safety education and training system. It also administers the province's no-fault workplace insurance system for employers and their workers.

As part of this system, the WSIB provides disability benefits, monitors the quality of health care, and assists in the early and safe return to work for workers who are injured on the job or contract an occupational disease.

The WSIB is paid for entirely by employer premiums and receives no funding from the Ontario government. The WSIB's vision is to eliminate all workplace injuries and illnesses in Ontario.

The WSIB is also responsible for promoting, educating and fostering workplace health and safety, and for funding health and safety associations.

In addition, the WSIB:

Develops prevention plans and works with the health and safety associations to set prevention targets and objectives

Motivates and influences workplaces to implement good health and safety programs and practices

Raises awareness of the importance of health and safety, in workplaces and the community

Provides information that will help workplaces achieve successful health and safety programs

Conducts research, analysis, and policy work to support strategic and operational functions

Administers legislated training programs (e.g. First Aid, Certification).

Institute for Work & Health

The Institute for Work & Health is an independent, not-for-profit organization whose mission is to conduct and share research with workers, labour, employers, clinicians and policy-makers to promote, protect and improve the health of working people. The Institute has been providing research and evidence-based practical tools for clinicians, policy-makers, workers, labour and managers since 1990. It operates with the support of the WSIB.

Health and Safety Associations

Health and Safety Associations are designated under the Workplace Safety and Insurance Act, 1997, as safe workplace associations specializing in occupational health and safety matters.

These associations work to improve health and safety performance of their clients and communities with the aim of making Ontario workplaces the safest in the world. They are funded by the WSIB.

Health and Safety Associations establish prevention strategies for their sectors, pursuant to standards set by the WSIB. As well, they:

Lead in the development and delivery of injury and illness prevention education, training programs, products and services

Provide audit, consultation and technical services

Raise awareness and provide prevention information

Sponsor conferences

Provide operational expertise to clients

Identify, motivate and influence workplaces to implement good health and safety programs and practices

Develop risk-based prevention plans.

Health and Safety Associations who are members of OHSCO and who consulted on the MSD Prevention Guideline include:

Construction Safety Association of Ontario

Education Safety Association of Ontario

Electrical & Utilities Safety Association

Farm Safety Association

Industrial Accident Prevention Association

Mines and Aggregates Safety and Health Association

Municipal Health and Safety Association

Ontario Forestry Safe Workplace Association

Ontario Service Safety Alliance

Ontario Safety Association for Community and Healthcare

Pulp and Paper Health and Safety Association

Transportation Health and Safety Association of Ontario

Occupational Health Clinics for Ontario Workers (OHCOW)

Workers Health and Safety Centre (WHSC)

It would be of interest to know if the MOL would be involved here if the operator was not being paid. Employee vs volunteer

I dont think there would be. Once you become an employee than your employer has certain obligations through the various acts and legislation to ensure your safety.

A volunteer is only responsible for his own actions.

skidoo rob

Hey Rob.. And the cost of the changes that would be mandated (eg. groomer training, 2 guys in each groomer, insurance increases etc.) We will be paying a very heavy price for this imo... Let's see what happens, my guess is nothing for a longtime... An official statement from the MOL sure would be nice...

More expensive than a life? While we all except some risk in snowmobiling, if 2 people are required then we have to pay for that.

If I was that club and area I would do the same, and I think Big Reg would do the Same, if I was charged with something like that I would just walk away, I would not touch a Groomer again or put in a Stake for my club it would end my work for the club. Not sure if I got it right but I heard the groomer op was not supose to turn on the lake or go on it. So if thats the case and he still did it why would be everyoe else be charged, and Pointed the finger at? WE where lucky here.... we had operators before go over ice and we had not told then to do it, They would go on the lake and groom it but we had told them to keep off. So if something would of happend we would be to Blaim?

If I was that club and area I would do the same, and I think Big Reg would do the Same, if I was charged with something like that I would just walk away, I would not touch a Groomer again or put in a Stake for my club it would end my work for the club. Not sure if I got it right but I heard the groomer op was not supose to turn on the lake or go on it. So if thats the case and he still did it why would be everyoe else be charged, and Pointed the finger at? WE where lucky here.... we had operators before go over ice and we had not told then to do it, They would go on the lake and groom it but we had told them to keep off. So if something would of happend we would be to Blaim?

He knew not to go on the lake . He knew to turn around . He was instructed not to go on the lake he did anyhow he died . We miss him he was a good man who made a mistake if he was here he would be so angry that charges have been laid against innocent people. To all the volenteers god bless you and thank you for your efforts.

May Mike rest in peace .

I am going to have to take sides with MOL. This afterall was a workplace accident which resulted in death of one of our dear own. It is the mandate of the MOL to investigate and if found guilty, lay charges. Unfortunately, it's the timing and the charges is what sucks here.

I'm pretty sure it's not just PSSD that is worrying but also the OFSC. This could have an effect to all the clubs.

skidoo rob

I am sure that you don't know the entire story and that is why you are siding with the MOL. The VOLUNTEER president of PSSD is being charged, Personally!! I am disappointed to hear that all you can think about is the $180 trail permit you bought and it just might not of got used in District 10! What about that president who is facing jail time and serious fines! I am disappointed that this is the kind of support a hard working volunteer gets!

I wonder how much of my trail permit is going to go to lawyers and such...

And another thing...do you think that MOL diverts any portion of the fines collected to the victims or their families? Of course not...it's not about them and it's not necessarily about "fixing" the problem (i.e. better training or supervision). Having worked for the government in the past, I think I can accurately say that a lot of times it's about a bunch of peon government employees trying to make a name for themselves. It's about "process" and "protocols", not trying to solve the actual problem, be it real or perceived.

I agree with the need for safety guidelines and enforcement of said guidelines, however, this has to be balanced by the realization that sometimes employees make errors in judgment and that an error in judgment does not necessarily translate into a criminal or negligent act on the part of the employer.

And another thing...do you think that MOL diverts any portion of the fines collected to the victims or their families? Of course not...it's not about them and it's not necessarily about "fixing" the problem (i.e. better training or supervision). Having worked for the government in the past, I think I can accurately say that a lot of times it's about a bunch of peon government employees trying to make a name for themselves. It's about "process" and "protocols", not trying to solve the actual problem, be it real or perceived.

I agree with the need for safety guidelines and enforcement of said guidelines, however, this has to be balanced by the realization that sometimes employees make errors in judgment and that an error in judgment does not necessarily translate into a criminal or negligent act on the part of the employer.

Well said!!

If the president(Ms. Derks) did not put her self into the employers position she should not be charged but due to the fact that she has and her family benefits with the employee standards yes the MOL should charge her. I agree with the MOL since she put herself in that position..

If the president(Ms. Derks) did not put her self into the employers position she should not be charged but due to the fact that she has and her family benefits with the employee standards yes the MOL should charge her. I agree with the MOL since she put herself in that position..

She is a volenteer with this type of attitude why would any one volenteer ? It is one thing to volenteer for today why would any one volenteer to go to jail if somebody else makes a mistake .

She is a volenteer with this type of attitude why would any one volenteer ? It is one thing to volenteer for today why would any one volenteer to go to jail if somebody else makes a mistake .

Thanks sstorm for the support!

Ms. Derks was a volunteer, she was not employed by PSSD. wine-sex, How would you feel if you where in Ms. Derks Shoes, if you would have actually taken the time to volunteer as president for the district, how would you feel if you where being charged from someone elses mistakes. She had dedicated so much of her time to PSSD and this is the thanks she gets, A summons (with large fines and jail time) and negative support from fellow snowmobilers!!

Could someone please change the heading of this topic from

OFSC Web Notice - PSSD Closure

to

OFSC Web Notice - PSSD Open.

Casual viewers may not open the topic, and the trails are (except as noted on the OFSC website) open.

Could someone please change the heading of this topic from

OFSC Web Notice - PSSD Closure

to

OFSC Web Notice - PSSD Open.

Casual viewers may not open the topic, and the trails are (except as noted on the OFSC website) open.

How about we just edit the word 'closure' out.

Smart monkey. Thanks. :lol:

Heading up -2- Parry Sound Poker Run on Saturday.

With this snowfall....trails should be great.

So, as the PSSD is the "employer" does that mean that it should be charged? If so, then wouldn't you as one of the clubs within the PSSD have to stand up & face the charges as well?

Or does your opinion only apply to Marilyn?

Sounds like you are bitter for some reason.

Maybe you could better explain your position so we can understand your point of view.

Archived