Trail Closure south of Henshaw Lake - Trail conditions Jan 22-24

Formula500

Well, I was up last weekend and as expected the 2km or so trail from the Hydro line southwest of Henshaw Lake to Foreman road is closed. The trail now goes on Henshaw Lake Road (Clearwater Shores Blvd) and then on Muskoka Road 118 I assume. I haven't tried it and will defintely not use the trail towards Port Carling. I feel bad for the businesses there; even Bracebridge will be affected. It used to be a good trip going around Lake Muskoka but too much road running now. Other than "Back off government", I'm not sure what the landowner's motivation is. I think the Port Carling community will suffer.

The trails were pretty good (Jan 22-24) west of Henshaw Lake, but there was a washout in the gully west of Eveleigh Road. Trails were nice to Bala (breakfast at Hook & Ladder), but bumpier on the Bass Lake direction trail. Mactier trails were great!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I was up last weekend and as expected the 2km or so trail from the Hydro line southwest of Henshaw Lake to Foreman road is closed. The trail now goes on Henshaw Lake Road (Clearwater Shores Blvd) and then on Muskoka Road 118 I assume. I haven't tried it and will defintely not use the trail towards Port Carling. I feel bad for the businesses there; even Bracebridge will be affected. It used to be a good trip going around Lake Muskoka but too much road running now. Other than "Back off government", I'm not sure what the landowner's motivation is. I think the Port Carling community will suffer.

The trails were pretty good (Jan 22-24) west of Henshaw Lake, but there was a washout in the gully west of Eveleigh Road. Trails were nice to Bala (breakfast at Hook & Ladder), but bumpier on the Bass Lake direction trail. Mactier trails were great!

just a heads up to anyone that reads this, yes that portion of the trail is closed, but with all the snow up there right now the re-route along the road is a piece of cake

• 2 weeks later...

This part of the trail is now open. Thankyou Brown family! Did a trip around Lake Muskoka on Feb 13, 110km in total. The trails needed some grooming. Gravenhurst area has a thin base with lots of brown showing on the trails. Trails were groomed on the night of Feb 13 in the MLSTA area, so they were good on the Sunday. On the Monday (Feb 15) they were pretty beat up as no grooming occurred on Sunday night. Where were the groomers?

• 1 year later...

It looks like a loss of interest to me.Minimal grooming,none on 102c....could be a good reason for it I guess,but this has been a trend the past few years.

Parts of it are difficult,certainly.And there's not a huge amount of white to work with...but a little effort woulda been nice.At 2;00 pm there were only 2 sleds at Bass Lake House.....if the trail had been(historically) maintained,there woulda been 50+.Another pair came in as I was leaving,and they had made it from the Cove and had had enough.Sad really...there was more than enough snow to make a nice ride out of it.

We run thru Port to Bracebride every year,just out of habit really...only to end that by exclaiming "never agian!"....it just gets worse and worse the closer to Port U get.Probly do it again tho;)

When we go 'round the lakes,we go around the outside...anything within the loop is, and has been for a few years now,most always pretty tuff goin'....exceptions of course.

Bala gets our biz....best pizza anywhere!.....Worth the bumps and grinds;)

Ditto to the Mactier comments here and elsewhere....good work those guys do.Rob did a great job for many years,and now it seems the youg'uns are living up to his legacy...well done Dan, Scoop,Cory(I think;) et al.

BIg lakes still have alot of risky spots...aside from the slush.Only 5 inches 100 yards off my shore,and its been covered for 3 weeks or more.

That's too bad. It was a nice ride On that side of the lake. Ever since they stopped staking lake musoka, the trails haven't been the same.

Agreed.

And pretty well all of the little connector trails are gone now too.Pretty much anything small that led to the lakes are closed for good and have been for a few years now.We ere told by the club that they were trying to limit access to the lakes....presumably to keep folks onn the trails.

They did not,however,take into account,that many of the sledders here on wekends LIVE on the lakes.So when I was dodgy they could nip out the road to some connector trail.....most roads had them if they were close to main trails.

So they kinda screwed that one up...now we are FORCED to use the lakes.

This of course has us trapped this year....our only way out this year is down the highway a couple miles.

Ya...and that's real safe too!

Sometimes I wonder what thought processes these guys go thru to come to these crazy decisions.

Those little trails were mostly never groomed...didn;t really need to be...so it wasn;t about the usual excuses($$).

It was done long before the landowner issues cropped up.

Just seems we are being forced out of the game for so many reasons.

I tell my kids to enjoy their time sledding now...they likely won;t be doing the same with their kids;(

Archived