Suggestions for a new sled

b-bry

I'm thinking of buying another one-up sled. I want something light for trail riding - I'm not into tearing up the lakes or a lot of off-trail stuff. I might buy new, but I'd consider a good used sled. I'm looking for suggestions on what to look at. My current one-up is an '08 Cat F570 and I like it. I'd consider something a bit more upscale perhaps, but lightness and simplicity of design are the criteria.

What should I look at?

I'm thinking of buying another one-up sled. I want something light for trail riding - I'm not into tearing up the lakes or a lot of off-trail stuff. I might buy new, but I'd consider a good used sled. I'm looking for suggestions on what to look at. My current one-up is an '08 Cat F570 and I like it. I'd consider something a bit more upscale perhaps, but lightness and simplicity of design are the criteria.

What should I look at?

Country corners has some wicked deals on more cats

xp etec

That works. Matches up to what you're looking for !

My Wife just got a XP etec in the GSX 600 H.0. config. Light as a whistle and as every bit as nice as my XR 1200 4. Mileage is as good as mine too.

xp etec

So are you getting one ?

Nope! Here is the new Ride. Gets Great Mileage, no rebuild after 7000 km's :D

Sure there is a rebuild ! your knees !

No worse than riding a rev for 3 years!....................... :poke: :P

xp etec

So are you getting one ?

No worries, he is only "UsedtoSkidoo" for a season before he can't stand it anymore. He'll be back 8-)

xp etec

So are you getting one ?

No worries, he is only "UsedtoSkidoo" for a season before he can't stand it anymore. He'll be back 8-)

For sure I will, not given up totally. I just cant justify the whole experience when I have young children heavily involved in organized sport. It just doesnt work. Also too much cash tied up in negative equity situation.

ROI sucks!

If I lived up north I could Justify it but I cant.

Here is a snapshot of my week.

Monday- UTS jr= Hockey Practice at 6:15/Little Miss UTS= Comp Figure Skating at 4:45

Tuesday Little Miss UTS= Rep Soccer at 5:00

Wednesday- Day off= :D (although UTS jr sometimes has a special Hockey class with Buddies)

Thursday - UTS jr- Game day at 6:30/ Little Miss UTS- Figure Skating at 5:00

Friday - Little Miss UTS- Soccer game

Saturday- ( Hold on to your hats folks! :roll:)

- UTS Jr- Hockey practice at 7:00 am then Dryland training at 10-11

- Little Miss UTS- Rep soccer at 8-9

Sunday- Usually day off :D

There is also an away game for UTS jr somewhere during week depending on which team he faces this week.

Its honestly a crazy schedule and I have to give up sledding but my kids always ask to go to their sports and love them. I have only once heard UTS jr say he didn't want to go to hockey( He was sick). We have also introduced them to skiing and Snowboarding and they love that! Both are off the bunny hills now ;) and they are having a blast.

So yes, I will be back to sledding one day but I don't think it will be for awhile. I do miss it and wont give it up.

But I think back a lot to what my fondest memories of sledding where and the best times to me is when I was 12 and had to run around on my grandparents 72 oly 335 and I used to run that straight through the bush for hours on end.

It was great fun! So I think I will come back to the sport in a different capacity and a different attitude.

xp etec

OK, that's one good suggestion for a new sled. How about suggestions for something used, perhaps as old as 2005. There's a lot of experience out there on this forum. What were some good models from previous years? Again, the criteria is a one-up, more on-trail than off, light, easy to maintain.

xp etec

OK, that's one good suggestion for a new sled. How about suggestions for something used, perhaps as old as 2005. There's a lot of experience out there on this forum. What were some good models from previous years? Again, the criteria is a one-up, more on-trail than off, light, easy to maintain.

GSX 500ss or 600SDI

The 500ss was a great engine in those years. I had some trouble with it (and many others also) in later years as a result of BRP trying to squeeze a little more juice out of it and created a lean band that .... well, you know.

If going back to 04/05/06 I have no qualms about the 500ss (which is a 597cc displacement) or the 600SDI for slightly better fuel consumption. The 500ss is carbs. The GTX is directed more at trail riders, it's pretty light, too.

Neither of these, at this vintage, are as light as an XP which didn't exist in '05.

xp etec

GSX 500ss or 600SDI

The 500ss was a great engine in those years. I had some trouble with it (and many others also) in later years as a result of BRP trying to squeeze a little more juice out of it and created a lean band that .... well, you know.

If going back to 04/05/06 I have no qualms about the 500ss (which is a 597cc displacement) or the 600SDI for slightly better fuel consumption. The 500ss is carbs. The GTX is directed more at trail riders, it's pretty light, too.

Neither of these, at this vintage, are as light as an XP which didn't exist in '05.

Ummm, I dun blew up 3x 2006 500SS engines. Although adjusting the oil mix properly will ensure that this does not happen. I think 05 and newer were ok though.

xp etec

GSX 500ss or 600SDI

Ummm, I dun blew up 3x 2006 500SS engines. Although adjusting the oil mix properly will ensure that this does not happen. I think 05 and newer were ok though.

It was my '08 that did a Monkey.

My second to last one was an '06 and it was great.

xp etec

GSX 500ss or 600SDI

I'll bet you never had virer on the back of your 06??? :shock:

xp etec

GSX 500ss or 600SDI

I'll bet you never had virer on the back of your 06??? :shock:

BRP engineer modeling did not consider an '08 500ss having to carry that Fat A$$ as a passenger. :P :poke: :P

06 sdi sled.

05 non X package had the crappy old rings

As for the 500ss the 04's were good, the 05's and up are super lean and such a gentlemanly rider such as the monkey blew them up.

My suggestion is an 06 and up SDI

Or any 04-06 Polaris XC 600, reliable sled...good ride.

I like the looks of this one. Does anyone have an specs (especially the weight)? I can't find these online.

Its in St. Catharines

Archived