What to My Wondering EYES!

DWIGHT RX

So, Wednesday afternoon looking out onto the JUST frozen over Haystack Bay to my wondering eyes should appear - 2 shiny new sleds poking down the bay!!!! :crazy: People, Lake of Bays is NOT SAFE!! there are large areas of open water on the lake. Some of the Bays are frozen over recently but there will not be a consistent depth to the ice. There were whitecaps on the water as recent as Tuesday afternoon! Please stay off the lake, the water, to coin an old joke - IS COLD and DEEP!!!

Is the lake safe :umno:

It never ceases to amaze me at how.....whats a nice way to put it..."unaware" people can be when it comes to the danger of riding on ice. Thanks for the update on Lake of Bays DwightRx. When in doubt, don't go out!!!!

I seen tracks running off the lake onto shore, at the boathouse where the bubble is and the water is open. The trail is 50 metres to the right :wtf:

Ditto, as I was looking out my cottage window overlooking Otter Lake three guys come screaming across the lake. As someone I related this story to yesterday said "Those guys are the statistics I guess".

Use your heads please....

big difference between your little pond and LOB. there is over 12" of ice on a number of lakes which is enough to drive a truck. first tracks always get a bad look, but someones gotta be first right? don't assume it IS or is NOT safe, only way to know is talk to the locals you trust and drilling some holes. assumptions get you staring out the window

big lakes aren't even capped over yet, just need another cold calm night.

dont go if you dont know pretty simple

I seen tracks running off the lake onto shore, at the boathouse where the bubble is and the water is open. The trail is 50 metres to the right :wtf:

Domino,

Just noticed the New Years 'Fireworks' banner.

Nice touch.

Domino,

Nice touch.

What makes you think I had anything to do with it?? :wtf:

:lol:

Domino,

Nice touch.

:itwasuts:

Domino,

Nice touch.

yes :itwasuts:

Ditto, as I was looking out my cottage window overlooking Otter Lake three guys come screaming across the lake. As someone I related this story to yesterday said "Those guys are the statistics I guess".

Use your heads please....

big difference between your little pond and LOB. there is over 12" of ice on a number of lakes which is enough to drive a truck. first tracks always get a bad look, but someones gotta be first right? don't assume it IS or is NOT safe, only way to know is talk to the locals you trust and drilling some holes. assumptions get you staring out the window

big lakes aren't even capped over yet, just need another cold calm night.

dont go if you dont know pretty simple

Well the big open North section of "my little pond" had no ice at all the day I saw these dudes. With large sections of open water I would have had to "assume" as I stared out my window in disbelief that these most likely local folks hadn't drilled or asked anyone knowledgeable whether the lake was safe or not. They just wanted first tracks to prove their bravery. I call it stupidity. You can call it whatever you want...

Domino,

Nice touch.

yes :itwasuts:

Dont drag me down into your own little posting hell! ;)

After reading what happened this weekend on Redstone, I once again sit here in disbelief. When are people gonna learn? As much as I feel for this poor guys family now having to deal with the tragedy of losing a 43 year old (my age btw) people can still write crap about 12" of ice on some lake and someones got to be first yada yada. All this does is ruin a sport that I love, call into question the collective brain power of the people who take part in this activity and create sadness for everyone involved. Every year this happens yet people still make choices that are asinine at least, suicidal at most.

Ask a local you trust if the lakes are safe? Some of us have cottage d in this area all our lives. I KNOW the lakes are not safe. Why would others take such a foolhardy chance with there lives, in this persons case, his friends lives who tried to come to his aid and the lives of the rescue/retrieval teams who fished his lifeless body out.

I'm the last person that would ever tell anyone how to live their life but come on now. This effects everyone who snowmobiles when this bs happens. It did NOT have to happen. But when there are attitudes out there like the one posted earlier in this thread this will happen again and again every year.

Oh and btw, four other people went in to the water this weekend and were lucky to get out with there lives minus there expensive equipment which still resides at the bottom of their almost icy demise. Wonder if they inquired about ice thickness or drilled their own friggin holes?

Think I'm rubbing it in yet? I know most of us here agree with waiting until we are SURE the lake ice is thick enough. This diatribe is not aimed at you. Lakes are staked or deemed safe by people far more expert at this than me. And believe me when I say this; I feel horrible when anyone gets injured or worse sledding. This is supposed to be fun...this post was meant as a warning originally. Now it's a eulogy.

After reading what happened this weekend on Redstone, I once again sit here in disbelief. All this does is ruin a sport that I love, call into question the collective brain power of the people who take part in this activity and create sadness for everyone involved. Every year this happens yet people still make choices that are asinine at least, suicidal at most.

The actions of these people make the majority of sledders look like morons (at best) in the eyes of the non-snowmobiling general public.

Oh and btw, four other people went in to the water this weekend and were lucky to get out with there lives minus there expensive equipment which still resides at the bottom of their almost icy demise. Wonder if they inquired about ice thickness or drilled their own friggin holes?

Last night before I found out about the "incident" (No such thing as accidents) I was visiting friends on Gilmour Bay. They said on New Years Day, 4 sledders rode almost a mile across the bay to their cottage. The sledders asked if the knew what the narrows to the big part of the lake was like. My friends said they hadn't been on the ice.

The sledders continued out the cottage road & to points north. I have no idea if the riders had checked the ice before they crossed the bay or night.

After reading what happened this weekend on Redstone, I once again sit here in disbelief. When are people gonna learn? As much as I feel for this poor guys family now having to deal with the tragedy of losing a 43 year old (my age btw) people can still write crap about 12" of ice on some lake and someones got to be first yada yada. All this does is ruin a sport that I love, call into question the collective brain power of the people who take part in this activity and create sadness for everyone involved. Every year this happens yet people still make choices that are asinine at least, suicidal at most.

Ask a local you trust if the lakes are safe? Some of us have cottage d in this area all our lives. I KNOW the lakes are not safe. Why would others take such a foolhardy chance with there lives, in this persons case, his friends lives who tried to come to his aid and the lives of the rescue/retrieval teams who fished his lifeless body out.

I'm the last person that would ever tell anyone how to live their life but come on now. This effects everyone who snowmobiles when this bs happens. It did NOT have to happen. But when there are attitudes out there like the one posted earlier in this thread this will happen again and again every year.

Think I'm rubbing it in yet? I know most of us here agree with waiting until we are SURE the lake ice is thick enough. This diatribe is not aimed at you. Lakes are staked or deemed safe by people far more expert at this than me. And believe me when I say this; I feel horrible when anyone gets injured or worse sledding. This is supposed to be fun...this post was meant as a warning originally. Now it's a eulogy.

you don't want me to respond, but I'll say this:

I learned how to drive a sled on the lake, a few miles from where Scott died. I looked down the big monster from the other end, mere HOURS before he drowned in the icey water, if only I could have walked on water and told them not to go out there, like that would have mattered, but they did, and Scott Hartley is dead at 43. I don't think if he were here today that he would disagree that he made a very serious mistake if there ever was an understatement.

you don't need to drill holes when there's only 1-2" of ice... but as they say 1 to ride 2 to change a belt

take your own advice and save the warning for your family, not mine or Scott's, they have to deal with the eulogy

CHEX TV interviewd the marina owner when the 4 sledders ventured onto Chandos. He said they stopped, then went out onto Gilmour Bay (w/o inquiring). They went into the open water out on the big part of the lake. Half an hour later he saw the emergency vehicles go by.

you don't need to drill holes when there's only 1-2" of ice... but as they say 1 to ride 2 to change a belt

take your own advice and save the warning for your family, not mine or Scott's, they have to deal with the eulogy

Wow ! :cry:

Wow ! :cry:

that pretty much explains it :crazy:

you don't want me to respond, but I'll say this:

I learned how to drive a sled on the lake, a few miles from where Scott died. I looked down the big monster from the other end, mere HOURS before he drowned in the icey water, if only I could have walked on water and told them not to go out there, like that would have mattered, but they did, and Scott Hartley is dead at 43. I don't think if he were here today that he would disagree that he made a very serious mistake if there ever was an understatement.

Actually I was hoping for a response. Now I have one. It's about what I expected. I'm sure Mr. Hartley's family need no "after the fact" advice from me. They are totally aware of the mistake that was made. So are you.

This incident is a lesson Candoo, don't you get it? We all have a right to be angry about this. It happens every year. Not everyone is as experienced as you are. Maybe with all your wisdom and experience you had had the chance to implore Scott and his friends not to go out on "the big monster" he may still be among us....

And btw, I will continue to warn and speak with others about safety in this sport, on the lakes or trails. You and others don't have to listen.

Archived