Muskoka Land Owners do not care about snowmobilers!

Cudney Racing

This could have a serious effect on both the Kelly Shires ride and the OC Ride for Kelly, as well as any other charity ride that could be scheduled this season for that area. Is there any way we can get the MLA to understand the far-reaching implications of their actions? I understand their frustration to a degree, but I believe there is a better way to deliver their message than to impact revenue for an entire area.

It would be difficult to move our ride if we had to do it, but we know it could be done. Moving the Kelly Shires ride would be a logistical nightmare in my mind ... especially with the volume of riders they have.

Just my two cents.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Clubs in district 7 and its volunteers are working there butts of to have trails open.

Irrelevant.

All clubs are working their butts off to have trails open. All of us.

But as long as these rabble rousers keep getting front page coverage, people will book their weekends elsewhere. People are not going to book a weekend here if there is a chance they can't ride. By the time they find out they can't ride, it's too late to book elsewhere. So..... they book elsewhere now.

It actually has less impact on those of us that live here. We are still going to buy gas and groceries in town. BUT, it's the hundred of thousands of dollars that the people from outside D7 bring to the Winter Economy that is at risk.

That has nothing to do with whether or not the Clubs in distric 7 and its volunteers are working their butts off to have the trails open. They can work all they want but if whack-jobs like Carey-Anne Oke-Cook and her band of jerk-offs decide to close the trails we've been working our butts off to open then there will be job losses and business closures in Muskoka.

I don't know how she and others will be able to look her friends and neighbours in the face when they can't put food on the table.

Not sure why you think its Irrelvant that the clubs within district 7 who's volunteers have been at the table through the summer with the MLA trying to negotiate and secure open trails. I'm sure your Club President might think otherwise if that's how you feel.

It just takes one to stirr the pot and start a media , communications nightmare ,which has now started.

It its us the clubs and its volunteers who need to adress the mistaken beliefs.

They have already caused the ripple effect , people are turning away from Muskoka and losing faith.

We moved the PET ride until the dust settles !

Hopefully the other events don't across district 7 aren't effected.

The problem is that with all of the coverage this gets, it's is making people aware of the fact that the landowners are going to do the only thing that they can to put leverage on the D of M and that is to threaten to close trails or to actually close them. What this is doing the way it now stands is that it is making sledders look elsewhere to go because of these threats and not knowing if or when the tails might close so they won't take a chance they will just go elsewhere, so the MLA's effect is now taking it's toll without any closures, it is dampening the economy of this region without them taking any action. The problem with this is that it involves private business and government and we all know the 2 don't mix well, now that the D of M is being held at bay they are taking a stand that "hey we are the region and we will legislate what we see fit" and the MLA who is seeing this as taking business away from the main people in this association and they aren't going to stand for it, so now you have a stand still, so the MLA threatens the district with trail closures which will definetely hurt the local economy. Too bad but somebody in this stalemate is going to have to give a little and as of right now no one will and everybody will be hurt by this in the long run. - Bill

Many sledders who book reservations in advance are are required to front non refundable deposits to hold the reservation. Everyone is taking a chance (somewhat) with the weather, but threatened trail closures, I don't think so. I can see many either booking last minute or just going elsewhere.

Bang on Bill !

The two clubs I know of that is not effected in Muskoka is Baxter and Smart as we have no MLA landowners in our system. Possibly Du Ya Wanna also but don't quote me. All other clubs have at least one landowner in there trail system.

From the Letters to the Editor Page in yesterday's Banner.

Revrnd, it answers one of your questions.

Landowners association doesn’t speak for all property owners

December 30, 2009

I really hoped it would not be necessary to write this piece, but once again the Muskoka Landowners Association has decided to close the snowmobile trails that pass over their land in an effort to force through legislation to their advantage.

They had the tree-cutting bylaw shelved. Now they want more. Of course, they have every right to say who does and who does not go on their land, but why wait until the snow is on the ground, the maps have been published and permits are being sold before closing the trails?

We are one of the 54,000 landowners in the area who do not belong to the Muskoka Landowners Association.

The snowmobile access trail that runs through our property will remain open as I believe will virtually all the trails in the Algonquin area, allowing riders to enjoy the spectacular and diverse trail network adjacent to the park. These and all the other districts’ trails are maintained, groomed and patrolled by thousands of unpaid volunteers who give up their time to make the sport possible.

Having originally come from a country that screwed up really badly in the past by destroying vast areas of forests and wetlands, wiping out plants and wildlife in the name of progress, I am appalled by the behaviour of this association as they attempt to force Muskoka and its municipalities into giving in to their demands by closing the snowmobile trails, depriving the local economy and businesses of income and snowmobile riders of access to the majority of trails that are not controlled by this group.

I have no sympathy at all for any minority groups who believe that there be no control over the manipulation of the environment for a short-term profit. Like it or not, the environment and climate are changing and burying your head in a pile of wood shavings is not going to make it go away.

Almost every country in the western world already has laws in place or is bringing in new laws and legislation to prevent, and in some cases reverse, the damage already done by the exploitation of our natural resources.

MPP Norm Miller, who appears to be supporting this group, would be wise to remember when he returns to Queen’s Park that the Muskoka Landowners Association did not elect him to office and that he is there to represent the views and interests of all of his constituency, including snowmobile owners and local businesses.

It is my opinion that his time would be better spent ensuring that our children and grandchildren have an unspoiled environment to grow up in and lobbying for a permanent trail network on land that cannot be used as a political pawn.

Christmas the season of goodwill? Humbug.

Colin Smith

Dwight

Clubs in district 7 and its volunteers are working there butts of to have trails open.

Irrelevant.

All clubs are working their butts off to have trails open. All of us.

But as long as these rabble rousers keep getting front page coverage, people will book their weekends elsewhere. People are not going to book a weekend here if there is a chance they can't ride. By the time they find out they can't ride, it's too late to book elsewhere. So..... they book elsewhere now.

It actually has less impact on those of us that live here. We are still going to buy gas and groceries in town. BUT, it's the hundred of thousands of dollars that the people from outside D7 bring to the Winter Economy that is at risk.

That has nothing to do with whether or not the Clubs in distric 7 and its volunteers are working their butts off to have the trails open. They can work all they want but if whack-jobs like Carey-Anne Oke-Cook and her band of jerk-offs decide to close the trails we've been working our butts off to open then there will be job losses and business closures in Muskoka.

I don't know how she and others will be able to look her friends and neighbours in the face when they can't put food on the table.

Not sure why you think its Irrelvant that the clubs within district 7 who's volunteers have been at the table through the summer with the MLA trying to negotiate and secure open trails. I'm sure your Club President might think otherwise if that's how you feel.

It just takes one to stirr the pot and start a media , communications nightmare ,which has now started.

It its us the clubs and its volunteers who need to adress the mistaken beliefs.

They have already caused the ripple effect , people are turning away from Muskoka and losing faith.

We moved the PET ride until the dust settles !

Hopefully the other events don't across district 7 aren't effected.

Yukon, your first post didn't say anything about negotiating with the MLA - all it said was "Clubs in district 7 and its volunteers are working there butts of to have trails open." Which, if it means brushing and grooming and packing and bridge repair as it means in every other posting on this board then those efforts are irrelevant to the MLA and this thread.

If it meant negotiating with the MLA, I wish you had specified and I would not have made the comment.

Sorry I wasn't specific enough in a topic specific to the MLA and clubs.

Actually it was a topic specific to the MLA and the economic impact of trail closures. Your post was the first reference to club volunteers.

You can help,

Below is from the so called MLA people saying they are having a "PUBLIC" meeting on Monday.

MUSKOKA LANDOWNERS ASSOCIATON (MLA) is holding a public meeting. The MLA executive welcomes all MLA members,supporters and members of the press for a question and answer session

THE MUSKOKA RIVERSIDE INN BRACEBRIDGE ONTARIO

MONDAY JANUARY 04, 2010 AT 10:00 A.M.

Here is why they are closing the trails.

Landowners are closing trails on their property because they are tired of losing their private property rights, their investments, their businesses, their finances and their land, while so many others are gaining economically, physically and socially from their (the landowner’s) hard work, resources, financing and land.

· Snowmobile trails and all other recreations trails are allowed to exist and continue to be built, including bridges erected on environmentally designated areas while the landowner does not have any usage rights on these areas of his private land.

These 3 soccer Mom's need to get a life or a job to keep them occupied. Notice that the meeting is at 10:00AM on Monday??? Who else can make it except the media and them.

We need any support of the sledding and Business community to be there at this meeting.

For the record, I am not a business owner but live in the district and LOVE sledding and taking care of Pets as a Vet Tech.

Please try to make it to this meeting. Not sure if we will be let in, but the Media will be there and will make a great story if we can't get in. I'm working on getting the day off but not looking good.

This is going to hurt business owners the most. Sledders will go to other areas to ride which is sad.

Just my 2 cents.

Hope to see others there.

Thanks

Heather

The media should be asking the MLA ,"WHO is behind your group?", "What percentage of Muskoka landowners do you speak for?" & not just regurgitating their press releases.

155 folks came together in Muskoka to form the MLA. I wonder how many landowners in Muskoka have NOT joined the MLA this year?

According to the author of the Letter to the Editor I posted above, some 54,000.

155 folks came together in Muskoka to form the MLA. I wonder how many landowners in Muskoka have NOT joined the MLA this year?

According to the author of the Letter to the Editor I posted above, some 54,000.

:poke:

I guess I missed the obvious , but that point should be made where the general public will be exposed to it & realize these clowns don't represent the vast majority.

Notice that the meeting is at 10:00AM on Monday??? Who else can make it except the media and them.

We need any support of the sledding and Business community to be there at this meeting.

AND short notice. I hope a large number of the business community are able to make it. The winter economy in Muskoka is extremely dependent on tourism.

Mr. Smith does NOT belong to the MLA. I think the letter is about businesses effected outside the MLA area.

"We are one of the 54,000 landowners in the area who do not belong to the Muskoka Landowners Association."

I heard there are over 60,000 landowners in the Muskoka Lakes District but have less than 100 MLA members. Just what I heard and not a fact I can proove.

These people need to be stopped. They are not speaking for the majority.

Mr. Smith does NOT belong to the MLA. I think the letter is about businesses effected outside the MLA area.

"We are one of the 54,000 landowners in the area who do not belong to the Muskoka Landowners Association."

I heard there are over 60,000 landowners in the Muskoka Lakes District but have less than 100 MLA members. Just what I heard and not a fact I can proove.

These people need to be stopped. They are not speaking for the majority.

Yes, Mr. Smith makes it pretty clear he's not a member nor does he have much time for the Association.

He writes a good letter, too !

TTT

I hope some of you can make it to the meeting as I couldn't get the time off work. I took the last 2 weeks off to help opening the trails. I sure hope we didn't waste our time opening trails that will be closed my these %$$*($#@'s.

My GF is going and can't wait to here what goes on.

Check this out about the meeting:

http://www.freedomsledder.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=27138

From what I saw on the TV, I want my 2 minutes back.

Here is what I just posted on freedom sledder. - Bill

Do you really think they have to give 60 days notice, they didn't last year when they closed the trails so I would beleive that the agreement is just in principal not legally binding in anyway. I am not sure but for them to think by asking the landowners to close the trails will help have the snowmobiler put leverage on the District of Muskoka they are wrong, they have effectively drove the sledder away like a disease, the sledder will just drive by and go elsewhere and I do beleive that they have just pissed off every sledder who was going to ride the area and that alone will have the sledder not helping their cause at all. The ones I feel sorry for are the businesses who are caught in the middle as they are the only ones in this whole mess who will suffer. - Bill

So are the trails opened or closed?

How come I didnt get an application to join the MLA? :P ..............I'm kinda serious! :confused:

You makw an interesting point . If it truly represents all muskoka landowners then all should be able to join and have a vote After all that would be democracy

How come I didnt get an application to join the MLA? :P ..............I'm kinda serious! :confused:

Could be closed. Are Closed. Will be closed. Can't tell.

Rather than the TV stations and newspapers, who are in the business of increasing viewship/readership, I'll keep an eye out for something official from the MSR.

Rather than the TV stations and newspapers, who are in the business of increasing viewship/readership, I'll keep an eye out for something official from the MSR.

You could always join the wabbit after all are you not a muskoka landowner ?

You could always join the wabbit after all are you not a muskoka landowner ?

I most certainly am. And I didn't get an invitation to join, either.

Archived