Trailer Fuel Doors - Where to Buy?

Domino

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am not a big fan either, of carrying extra fuel. However there are times when I wish I had extra. Like sledding in the Haliburton Forest. You can ride until midnight but there is no fuel available after five or six P.M.

Nothing close by either. Kenisis marine might have a cardlock...but I am not sure. I hate jerry cans too. A good safe system would be better, that can be filled up easily from a fuel access door.

I hate the taste of gas when I siphon. :P

Fuel doors are essential in a trailer like that. Just be sure they are positioned as close to the tanks on the sleds as possible. I have never had a problem reaching all the sleds in the trailer. You do have to pull up close to the pumps, but even the short hoses will reach.

BTW Try to locate a distributor for Robert Thibert Inc. They are an automotive aftermarket retailer. They recently purchased a company called Morco Trailer Products, who carried a full line of trailer parts and accessories. Thibert should be able to order trailer parts for you.

118_ea0f5096886735850c9f5a453e66dfdc

The trailer only weighs 1650# empty, so put two sleds and some equipment in and we are still only 3000#, so long as they are not yamahas. :poke:

I will be towing it with a Toyota 4Runner, towing capacity 5000# :D

I've never had any trouble filling both sleds on my double clamshell trailer. Yours is only 7 feet so I can't see how it would be any different.

Have you towed it loaded yet? I'm interested to know how your SUV handles the load. My son is turning 12 next year which will increase the pressure for a 3rd sled and upgraded trailer to haul it.

The Triton 'experts' are the Reinhart brothers (one is in Orangeville, the other further north). If you see them at the sled show(s) in the fall, ask away and they will answer.

Better yet - there was an Ontario rep at both shows last year who talked my ear off regarding fuel door locations.

I'd wait until the show and actually see one or two before you cut the holes. Or, as you travel through Ontario this summer, keep an eye out for dealers and get an idea. We'll add you to the list of trailer stalkers.

The trailer only weighs 1650# empty, so put two sleds and some equipment in and we are still only 3000#, so long as they are not yamahas. :poke:

I will be towing it with a Toyota 4Runner, towing capacity 5000# :D

I've never had any trouble filling both sleds on my double clamshell trailer. Yours is only 7 feet so I can't see how it would be any different.

Have you towed it loaded yet? I'm interested to know how your SUV handles the load. My son is turning 12 next year which will increase the pressure for a 3rd sled and upgraded trailer to haul it.

So far only towed it empty, but I have towed a 4800# boat on a 30ft aluminum trailer so about 7000# total and it pulls just fine 8-)

Not that I make a habit of that :shock:

The Triton 'experts' are the Reinhart brothers (one is in Orangeville, the other further north). If you see them at the sled show(s) in the fall, ask away and they will answer.

Better yet - there was an Ontario rep at both shows last year who talked my ear off regarding fuel door locations.

I'd wait until the show and actually see one or two before you cut the holes. Or, as you travel through Ontario this summer, keep an eye out for dealers and get an idea. We'll add you to the list of trailer stalkers.

Scott & Donald are good guys, but their accessories prices are a little steep :cry:

Scott & Donald are good guys, but their accessories prices are a little steep :cry:

Dom as you know I can throw a rock at Reinhart's so if ya need me to get ya pricing just get me a part number ;)

You know how to get a hold of me :rotflmao:

I am not a big fan either, of carrying extra fuel. However there are times when I wish I had extra. Like sledding in the Haliburton Forest. You can ride until midnight but there is no fuel available after five or six P.M.

Nothing close by either. Kenisis marine might have a cardlock...but I am not sure. I hate jerry cans too. A good safe system would be better, that can be filled up easily from a fuel access door.

I hate the taste of gas when I siphon. :P

Kenissis lake Marina does have a cardlock system and is available 24/7. Card costs $25 one time fee.

Domino,

By any chance did you buy that off of ohiomxzrev on HCS????

If so, what was involved with bringing it over the border?

BTW, nice trailer.

skidoo rob

Yes, that's the trailer. Ohiomxzrev was not actually the seller, just the poster for a friend of his.

Anyways, fairly easy for a trailer. Even easier because its a Triton.

You just pick it up and declare it at the border. They charge you taxes (GST & PST) plus they help you fill out a RIV form. You go online and pay the RIV fee $204 with gst and they send you an inspection form. You go to a Canadian tire and have them look that you have all of the necessary lighting and then they stamp the form. You send the form back to RIV and they send you a new sticker for the trailer and the paperwork so that you can register it Ontario at the MTO.

In most cases you also require a Recall Letter. This letter states that all safety recalls have been completed. Triton has given RIV direct online access, so it is not required in this case.

Domino; Don't forget to get your yellow safety stickers for your truck and trailer. It is really expensive if you get caught by the MTO (Believe me, I know first hand)! I'm guessing that the trailer has 3500lb axles X 2 and the rating on your truck is 5000lbs so you have a total axle capacity of 12,000lbs. I think (can't remember for sure) that it was any gross axle weight combination that exceeds 5500kg. (9000lbs) must have an annual safety certificate attached.

Oh, carrying fuel in any sort of container, in the trailer, is also illegal. The MTO can be real dinks.......

Any double axle trailer needs the yellow stickers

Ding ding ding....Wrong again. :P

Based on my trailer GVWR of 5000# (Sticker) and the fact that I can't remove my rear seat so I am not classified as a "TRUCK", I would say I am safe on both accounts. :D

Annual Truck and Trailer Safety Inspections

An annual safety inspection is required:

1. on a truck, which does not tow a trailer if:

* the truck's actual weight, registered gross weight or gross vehicle weight rating exceeds 4,500 kilograms (9,920 lbs).

2. on both the truck and the towed trailer if:

* the truck's actual weight, registered gross weight or gross vehicle weight rating exceeds 4,500 kilograms, or

* the actual weight of the truck, when added to the actual weight of the towed trailer or trailers exceeds 4,500 kilograms, or

* the gross vehicle weight rating of the truck, when added to the gross vehicle weight rating of the towed trailer or trailers exceeds 4,500 kilograms.

3. on a transport trailer converter dolly, whether the dolly is carrying a trailer or not.

An explanation of weight terms follows.

"Truck"

includes, but is not limited to:

1. truck tractors, straight trucks, pickup trucks, curb side/cube vans, business use trade vans/panel trucks, and

2. passenger vans and two and four wheel drive sport utility vehicles while being used to transport cargo, other than personal effects, with one or more of the vehicle's rear seats removed. This applies regardless of how the vehicle is plated, e.g., car, truck or farm plated.

"Trailer"

includes, but is not limited to, boat, snowmobile, livestock, and general purpose utility trailers. "Trailer" does not include devices such as tar pots, portable welders, cement mixers, compressors, farm implements such as farm wagons, etc.

Weight Terms

Actual weight of a truck

Means the physical weight of the truck, when loaded or empty. This includes any weight transmitted to the truck by an attached trailer. The empty weight of a truck may be found on the vehicle portion of the truck's permit (ownership) beside the VEH WT heading and is in kilograms. Note: VEH WT may have been determined prior to the installation of the truck's cargo body, equipment, fuel, etc.

Registered gross weight for a truck

The registered gross weight (RGW) determines the fee paid for the truck's licence plates. RGW is based on, and must be at least equal to the actual weight of the truck and its heaviest load. Generally the weight of a towed trailer and its heaviest load are added to the RGW of the truck. Load includes the driver, passengers, fuel, equipment, tools, etc. A trailer does not have a RGW.

The RGW is indicated on the right portion (plate portion) of a truck's ownership, to the right of "REG. GROSS WT" and is in kilograms. One kilogram equals 2.204 pounds and one pound equals 0.4536 kilograms.

For complete details on how to determine the correct amount of RGW for a truck see:

Determining Registered Gross Weights for Trucks Towing Light Duty Trailers.

Gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) or vehicle weight rating (VWR) of a truck

The vehicle weight rating is the amount stated by the truck manufacturer to be the loaded weight of the single truck. The GVWR or VWR is usually located on the driver's door, driver's door post or in the glove compartment.

Actual weight of a trailer

The amount of weight, loaded or empty that is transmitted to the road by the trailer's axle or axles when the trailer is attached to the truck. Some trailer ownerships may indicate the trailer's empty weight.

Gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) or vehicle weight rating (VWR) for a trailer

The vehicle weight rating is the amount stated by the trailer manufacturer to be the loaded weight of the single trailer. The GVWR or VWR is usually located on the trailer's tongue, frame or body. Some small trailers may not have a gross vehicle weight rating or a vehicle weight rating. In this case the rating would not apply.

Older trailers may have a plate that states the "MAXIMUM CAPACITY" and "EMPTY WEIGHT". In this case, both figures are added together to obtain the vehicle weight rating.

Vehicles and Trailers That Do Not Require Annual Inspections

1. Motor homes. A truck while carrying a slide-in camper is a motor home.

2. Camper trailers and house trailers. A livestock trailer with living accommodations is not a house trailer.

3. Mobile homes or office trailers wider than 2.6 m (8.6") or longer than 11 m (36 ft).

4. Devices such as tar pots, portable welders, cement mixers, compressors, farm implements such as farm wagons, etc.

When determining if a truck requires an annual inspection:

* the tongue weight of a towed house trailer, device or farm implement is not included in the truck's actual weight,

* the gross vehicle weight rating of a towed house trailer, device or farm implement is not added to the truck's gross vehicle weight rating.

When determining RGW, only the tongue weight of a towed device or farm implement is included in the truck's RGW.

Temporary Exemptions for Moving and Towing

1. A truck being towed to a garage does not require a sticker if it weighs 4,500 kilograms or less.

2. A truck or trailer, regardless of weight, may be driven or towed to a garage to obtain a valid inspection sticker if it is not loaded and is bearing a dealer/service plate that belongs to the garage that will be issuing the sticker.

3. A truck or trailer while being moved from a manufacturer with an "In Transit Permit".

Buses, physically-disabled-passenger vehicles and school purpose vehicles are inspected under a separate program.

Annual safety inspections are conducted by many of the garages licensed by the Ministry of Transportation. When the vehicle passes inspection the garage will place a sticker on the vehicle and provide an inspection certificate. The certificate should be carried in the vehicle when traveling outside Ontario. The inspection is valid in any Province or State for 12 months after the month of inspection.

A vehicle may be operated in Ontario if it is displaying or carrying valid proof of compliance with the inspection requirements of any Canadian jurisdiction or the applicable United States Regulations.

I'm with UTS on this one. Besides, for $100 for the cost of the inspection and sticker, why would you want to take a chance with MTO? They are not known for their roadside manners or willingness to debate the fine print.

I'm with UTS on this one. Besides, for $100 for the cost of the inspection and sticker, why would you want to take a chance with MTO? They are not known for their roadside manners or willingness to debate the fine print.

Mostly because its a pain is the a$$. And I won't give the Ontario government one more cent of my money than I absolutely have to. The legislation is clearly meant for commercial or business vehicle. My truck would be exempt so long as I don't remove the rear seat and carry non-personal cargo. As for the trailer it is well under the weight for the inspection. If I get the sticker, then I am required to stop for inspections, even if I didn't require it in the first place.

I'll fight it if they try to charge me. I think the legislation is clear enough.

Totally agree with Dom. Had a similar when I bought mine...It doesn't need it. Common sense would lead you to have the brakes professionally check every year as well as the couplings etc but it does not "need" to be certified.

Go ahead Dom. Do what you like.

Just wait til you run into one of the 407 MTO guys..........................Then tell me who is wrong ;)

I ran big trailers up and down the highways for four years. Been stopped 5 times.

Oh and did I tell you the story about a buddy who got over 1000 dollars worth of fines on a brand new trailer? Yah apparently the 407 MTO didnt like it placement of various items.

Oh and dont try and carry a gas can in there either. Without a lockable gas caddy.

Also, if you notice the legislation states: includes but not limited too!

Oh and by the way the GVWR of your truck is 5330 pounds. Trailer at I think 1800 or 2000 and then add three sleds and gear. They can make you weigh it. I weighed my last truck and trailer and it was almost 9200 empty. Yours will be lighter. You will be close.

That being said you need a sticker if you have two axles. I further believe that this is a good thing. Too many cowboys out there with bad breaks, bad lights and bad drivers. A better $$$$ spent with the government than a ridiculous 50km/hr over speed limit.

Did you also know that if you have a dual wheeled pickup truck that legally you have to go through weigh stations and perform a circle check and log book? Its true. ;)

Hey Dom if it makes you feel better 90% of the fee goes to the garage that performs the inspection . I too believe that you do not need stickers on your mini rig but to be sure you could do what I do . Pull ino a truck inspection station (without the trailer) and ask . Generally I find it to be better to be clear than to get the ticket.

Hey Buns,

They don't use GVWR for the truck.

Actual weight of a truck

Means the physical weight of the truck, when loaded or empty. This includes any weight transmitted to the truck by an attached trailer. The empty weight of a truck may be found on the vehicle portion of the truck's permit (ownership) beside the VEH WT heading and is in kilograms. Note: VEH WT may have been determined prior to the installation of the truck's cargo body, equipment, fuel, etc.

I know there are a few out there that should be inspected, but grandma shouldn't be driving that 28ft motorhome neither :crazy:

You must also remember, that your Truck/Trailer is for business, therefore this does apply to you based on the wording. That could be why you get stopped often. OR it could be because STG keep calling the MTO when he knows you're heading for Housey's Rapids :P

Dom as you know I can throw a rock at Reinhart's ...............

You really should stop doing that D*ckHead !

Hey Buns,

They don't use GVWR for the truck.

Actual weight of a truck

I know there are a few out there that should be inspected, but grandma shouldn't be driving that 28ft motorhome neither :crazy:

You must also remember, that your Truck/Trailer is for business, therefore this does apply to you based on the wording. That could be why you get stopped often. OR it could be because STG keep calling the MTO when he knows you're heading for Housey's Rapids :P

Good luck! ;)

Whaddya bet his next "rant" will be about some no-nothing who pulled him over, handed him a violation notice and doesn't know the regulations. :P :P :poke: :P

OR, impounded everything ! :rotflmao::rotflmao:

Whaddya bet his next "rant" will be about some no-nothing who pulled him over, handed him a violation notice and doesn't know the regulations. :P :P :poke: :P

OR, impounded everything ! :rotflmao::rotflmao:

It will be on the 407 too! :D

Archived