New/Young Riders

FRASERn

Looking for Thoughts/Ideas/Comments to increase the Awareness/Safety of New/Young Riders. I am the Trail Permit Coordinator for the Orillia Distict Club...also involved with Trail Patrol.

Have noticed a major increase in the number of New/Young Riders. As most of you are aware, a rider can get a snowmobile operator's licence at age 12 (Course offered by most clubs). As well, a rider is also "legal" when they get their driver's licence at age 16.

Most of us have taken advantage of the snowmobile operator's licence to get our sons and daughters into the sport - with our close supervision... RESULT - Lots of family fun, driver and snowmobiling skills developed under supervision, etc...

However, There is another side to the story. There are young folks (12-16) out on sleds without supervision, experience, etc... They have a licence, a sled (have flagged down 14 year olds on 600 -1000 iron) and are out for a rip... This group (particularily the males) are a high risk group to begin with. Generally, my interaction with this group has been positive...they just don't have the knowledge base and supervision/mentoring required to ensure they are safe riders and that they contribute positively to our sport.

Really appreciate hearing about any initiatives/programs other clubs, sledders, etc... have implemented to address this issue.

Really appreciate hearing about any initiatives/programs other clubs, sledders, etc... have implemented to address this issue.

Typically, we make the kiddies ride between older, experienced riders and then critique their riding later. Its always good to catch a bad habit forming and advise/teach them about it before it becomes an ingrained habit.

What a Kewl post !!

The primary influence is most certainly the parent. Spending time with them riding and talking about having safe fun is one thing all parents should do. But demonstrating by being a good example is the most powerful influence.

I hope there are some members here that will also be able to respond to the question you raised about initiatives/programs other clubs, sledders, etc... have implemented to address this issue.

I think supervision is the key.

My two girls 12 and 15 yrs do NOT go riding with out me.

I have noticed a increase in unsupervised young riders on the trails this year

and all i can wonder is what are the parents thinking :?:

I have seen the same thing. Riding their parents nice sleds, some seem to be good riders but a little young to be out on there own. I would love to have been 14 and out on the trails with friends and girlfriends but...

I think supervision is the key.

My two girls 12 and 15 yrs do NOT go riding with out me.

I have seen the same thing. Riding their parents nice sleds, some seem to be good riders but a little young to be out on there own. I would love to have been 14 and out on the trails with friends and girlfriends but...

Supervision is absolutely key for sledding and girlfriends.

I am also shocked that you had a girlfriend? :shock: UTS was wrong about you I guess :roll:

Meh, we all did it when I was 14. It wasn't any big deal.

Mind you we all were driving tractors and whatnot from an even earlier age. I guess if you threw some city kid on a sled for the first time the results might be different.

im not sure anything works for 14-18 year old kids. I didnt listen when I was that age!

It also helps that my parent's don't snowmobile. Up until a month ago (I haven't been 14 for a long, long time) they thought it was perfectly legal as long as I had the snowmobile operator's permit. :lol::lol::lol:

Do you remeber the old hockey ad, "Take the kids, don't send them". It's the same with anything kid related. It's the best way to teach them...mind you with some of the hockey parent video I've seen I'm not sure.

And then the day will come, like tonight, when..Dad can we take the sleds out? Sure. That was 4pm and I'm just hearing them come home now. Have to leave....going to check for damage and/or mud

I like STG's post, makes sense. Parents are the utmost of their childs development regarding actions taken.

Personally, I would like to see a cc limit for a brandnew rider especially 12 year olds- 14 and up. By no way should they even be aloud to operate 1000cc's, alot of sixes too. Simply put, they don't have the body weight or the english to control it when, and you know that they will, show off for their buddies. That is a given.

Need to be supervised.

"Take the kids, don't send them". It's the same with anything kid related. It's the best way to teach them.

Sounds good in theory, but we also bought our own snowmobiles. I'm sure my parent's would have loved to take me out on the trails, but you know, snowmobiles are expensive. It's not like going to watch a hockey game.

I'm just lucky they gave me the opportunity to be able to make the money to buy my own snowmobile and let me actually use it. If I had to wait around until they could facilitate my desire to try out this sport I would have never had the chance.

I'm talking our generation. We could have quite easily left our kids behind over the past 12-14 yrs as "we" went away sledding but we chose to take them, and had a blast. Subsequently our kids love the sport and are both very responsilbe riders.( at least when we're around???)

Thanks for the input...I agree that parents involvement is key...my favourite riding partner is my 14 year old son...

Unfortunately, there is a large number of new/inexperienced sledders out there that are "solo" and I am concerned that the lack of interest/supervision (parents) associated with their participation in snowmobiling puts them (and us) at risk (added to the already high risk of accident/injury related to juvenille males).

On a local level, I have approached one of the high schools to see if we can get into talk to kids in the Tech/Shop program...hoping we can maybe combine basic maint., safety, etc...

511_25ef454439a2c453cf32b682184436ea

On a local level, I have approached one of the high schools to see if we can get into talk to kids in the Tech/Shop program...hoping we can maybe combine basic maint., safety, etc...

Good Idea a the High School !

Does your club have a "Junior" section as well? Many years ago, I knew a club that had a "Youth" section (can't remember what they called it) and there was an organized run each weekend for that group. They organized it themselves like they organized their own socials and, of course, there were always a couple of Senior members hanging around.

Interesting! My son (14) is the web-master for Orillia District club... http://www.sledorillia.com He is working on a section directed at the teenage group...I will tell him about the weekend "social" ride...I am sure he will have a "cooler" name for the concept...Great idea...Thank you.

I'm sure there's a cooler name. :D:lol:

Hey ! How about the RAP tour ? ? :P

Archived