Trip to Northern Ontario

Spanky

Thought I’d post the tour that I’ve booked for northern Ontario the week of February 23rd to the 27th, and see what everyone thinks. Many thanks to revrnd for his helpful accommodation and mileage lists. Will be trailering to Mattawa early on the 23rd and leaving on sled from there. This is my first attempt at northern Ontario, and I’d be open to suggestions for fuel and food stops, and alternate routes or things to watch for.

Day 1: (Trailer to Mattawa) Mattawa to North Bay (MA101 / A): 115 kilometers

North Bay to New Liskeard (AD / A / A107Q): 247 kilometers

Total: 362 kilometers

Accomodations: Waterfront Inn, New Liskeard.

Day 2: New Liskeard to Kirkland Lake (A107Q / A / A108): 113 kilometers

Kirkland Lake to Cochrane (A108 / A / A106C): 181 kilometers

Total: 294 kilometers

Accommodations: North Adventure Inn, Cochrane.

Day 3: Cochrane to Moonbeam (A106C / A): 137 kilometers

Moonbeam to Smooth Rock Falls (A / C): 74 kilometers

Smooth Rock Falls to Timmins ©: 121 kilometers

Total: 332 kilometers

Accommodations: Travelodge Timmins.

Day 4: Timmins to Elk Lake(C / C106A / A): 289 kilometers

Elk Lake to New Liskeard (A / A107Q): 95 kilometers

Total: 384 kilometers

Accommodations: Waterfront Inn, New Liskeard.

Day 5: New Liskeard to North Bay (A107Q / A / AD): 247 kilometers

North Bay to Mattawa (A / MA101): 115 kilometers

Total: 362 kilometers

Total Estimated Mileage: 1,734 kilometers

Are any of these accommodations difficult to locate? Have I planned on too many or too few kilometers each day? Anything else I should be aware of? Please feel free to comment.

Hey Timberliner... The trip looks great.. Daily mileage good too...

In Cochrane, a lot of people luv Lillaballa Lodge in Cochrane.. They have been a forum sponsor for many years... Have a great trip!!!! Take lots of pictures...

I second staying at Lillabelle....Great place, people & food. Rod & Kim are very accomodating & reasonable rates to boot!

I second staying at Lillabelle....Great place, people & food. Rod & Kim are very accomodating & reasonable rates to boot!

Ditto on staying at Lillabelle!!! Enjoy your trip! :wavey:

This is a great trip that you have posted and they are all very nice trails.

Have a great trip.

How plentiful are gas stations on this route? Should we be gassing up at (almost) every opportunity?

Another question I have is with regard to oil...I drive a 2007 Ski-Doo MX-Z Blizzard 600SDI, how much should I bring along with an estimated distance of over 1,700 kilometers?

How plentiful are gas stations on this route? Should we be gassing up at (almost) every opportunity?

Another question I have is with regard to oil...I drive a 2007 Ski-Doo MX-Z Blizzard 600SDI, how much should I bring along with an estimated distance of over 1,700 kilometers?

To answer your first question about fuel - YES! Always take advantage of fuel when travelling the Great White North - you never know.......sometimes due to road closures and other unexpected conditions Gas Stations can run out of gas :o or are closed when you don't expect them - be safe and carry extra gas if you can as well. As for your oil - you know your sled and how much you might use - but always carry extra in your saddle bags. Make sure that you are dressed for the weather! Handlebar muffs are always a great idea ;) I always carry 1 or 2 extra balaclavas inside my suit - so that when you stop for a warm up - change into a dry one. On those really really cold days - wet balaclavas can freeze to your face! :shock: ...JMO

Enjoy the riding up there - you won't want to come back! :D:wavey:

as per the Giddy - never pass an opportunity to gas up.

Oil for 1700km ?

With a 600SDI, if you leave with your oil reservoir topped up, carry with you another 4 litres and you should be ok depending on snow conditions.

Archived