2009 PSSD trail map

xcsldr

The base map is nice but the trail numbers are a little hard to read.

They also have errors in Dunahmics system. The trail numbers were simplified and merged a couple years ago. The trail numbers are correct on the 2008 map but are obviously wrong on the 2009 map. There is no longer a trail to hurdville as showing.

I can't comment on the trail numbers - I don't know the area like you do.

But it is the worst looking map in the world. Ugly and difficult to follow. What's the point in making it so difficult for riders to read?

I started to plan a trip through D10 and gave up. My gas/hotel dollars are going elsewhere.

I just found that out. I didnt realize the clubs were given a chance to review. I would assume the designers would have based the trail numbering off of the 2008 map. Anyways, hopefully next year it will be corrected.

It is my understanding that the intent was to produce a GPS accurate map to alleviate some of the concerns that the former map had . Unfortunately somewhere between the new printers and the layout corrections and colour tones were changed. I myself extremely dislike this year map . The office staff has heard about the map loud and clear and I have no doubt that next years map will be excellent . In the past it has been a huge hassle to get some clubs to help proofread the map.I would bet that they will take an interest this year and maybe even attend the meetings. We will do our best with this years map and look forward to next years.

Our club president did meet up with PSSD to discuss map changes. When asked if any changes were required for the 2009 map , he said no, assuming they meant trail changes from the 2008 map, which was correct. Its apparent now that the 2009 map was based off an even older map before our trail changes.

All will be fixed next year :?

Why did he not go to the district meeting and proof the map?

Bill, I have no idea if he went to the meeting or not. Regardless, whats done is done. There are plenty other issues with the map anyways, such as only those with perfect eyesight can make out the trail numbers. It would seem obvious to me that someone would reference the 2008 map no?

Many things seem obvious however when creating a new map from a new gps accurate base map something happened. Don't get me wrong the new map is a mess . I am told next years will address all the problems. Your trail numbers would have been addressed at that meeting.I have been told that there was an issue with the printer and some updates that were not applied. As I am no longer on the board of the club or the district I am only privy to the information that I am given as an advertiser.

I was down in Kearney last week (great trails in Almaguin & Highland Rovers Clubs) and picked up a PSSD map. Was it BAD, I didn't even bother keeping it, I bet the advertisers aren't too happy. Who needs all this dark 'terrain' in the background and what about the turning of the trail numbers to match the orientation of the trail, that is really screwy.

Our District 11 NNTA map also took a step backwards this year as it is now GPS based as well, must be the same printer. Trail numbers too small and kilometre distances between intersections very difficult to read but overall it's better than the PSSD one.

I was down in Kearney last week (great trails in Almaguin & Highland Rovers Clubs) and picked up a PSSD map. Was it BAD, I didn't even bother keeping it, I bet the advertisers aren't too happy. Who needs all this dark 'terrain' in the background and what about the turning of the trail numbers to match the orientation of the trail, that is really screwy.

Agreed!...BAD doesn't even begin to describe it. Quite apart from any (in)accuracy in certain trail routes, when I first opened the '09 map, I could not believe that some graphic designer would think it is appropriate to provide a map base with such "dense" terrain information that it almost obscures many of the very club trails that are the purpose of having the map in the first place. Clearly, the designers are NOT sledders and have never tried to read and "interpret" a new map when on an unfamiliar trail at -25C. They need a big slap upside the head...what the he** were they thinking?

Luckily I've kept my '08 PSSD map and will continue to use it for this season. Sorry to say that my copy of the '09 map is headed for the blue box, because I do understand that a lot of effort (and $$) goes into producing these maps.

Insight is the graphics firm involved...and the primary blame should be on them, in terms of the unsuitable graphic "style" of the map. They've pulled the same trick over in OFSC District # 6 east of Algonquin Park as well...with the same ridiculously small and frequently illegible trail numbers and/or link distances. :banghead::angry:

No I needed to actually use it. I have a paper copy at home so no big problem but i'm planning on doing a run up that way and have been working on the plans at work so it's a little less obvious than having a big snowmobile map laid out on my desk.

But it is the worst looking map in the world. Ugly and difficult to follow. What's the point in making it so difficult for riders to read?

I started to plan a trip through D10 and gave up. My gas/hotel dollars are going elsewhere.

Classy... :whatever:

Trax, STG's comments may not be classy...but they represent the unvarnished truth, and show what can ultimately happen when a trail maps is so non user-friendly. He's certainly not alone in feeling this way, judging by other posts in this thread, and other comments I've heard from sledders.

Trax, STG's comments may not be classy...but they represent the unvarnished truth, and show what can ultimately happen when a trail maps is so non user-friendly. He's certainly not alone in feeling this way, judging by other posts in this thread, and other comments I've heard from sledders.

Quite right.

What I said may be harsh, but it is reality. The five day weekend I am planning for later in the season is not going to be in D10 because I lost patience trying to deal with the darn map. It is the same reason you won't find me in D6 this year either. It's next to impossible to plan a saddle-bag trip for a group of riders without good reference material.

Having said that, I will be riding and spending money in D10 by attending the OC4K ride in February. I'm looking forward to that for many reasons; and, one of those is the hope that someone familiar with the area will be leading a ride on the trails North and East of Parry Sound - trails I've never travelled but would like to.

Quite right.

What I said may be harsh, but it is reality. The five day weekend I am planning for later in the season is not going to be in D10 because I lost patience trying to deal with the darn map. It is the same reason you won't find me in D6 this year either. It's next to impossible to plan a saddle-bag trip for a group of riders without good reference material.

Having said that, I will be riding and spending money in D10 by attending the OC4K ride in February. I'm looking forward to that for many reasons; and, one of those is the hope that someone familiar with the area will be leading a ride on the trails North and East of Parry Sound - trails I've never travelled but would like to.

I understand that the district was working with a new system and the result was not what they anticipated. Unfortunately, the new map has resulted in many headaches not only from riders but from staff and volunteers alike. They are working at coming up with an interim solution and I hope that it helps to reduce the current concerns somewhat.

If you have a problem planning a route as a result of the quality of the map in any area, then an idea might be to contact one of the advertisers that have supported the district by purchasing an ad. I would do that even if the map was perfect. Who better to help you with planning a trip than the very establishment that will be hosting you when you arrive? I am sure that they all would be more than happy to discuss area trails, routes and stops. They want the business and are willing to work hard to serve the sledding community the best that they can.

Negative comments & statements of pulling tourism support have a very damaging effect to the local business, volunteers and the staff that are sincerely trying to do a good job.

I understand the map concerns and can appreciate the frustration that riders have experienced. However, I don't see how ongoing complaints and criticisms are helping to improve the situation. IMO

Please, if you have any questions at all about planning a trip through an area, do not hesitate to ask! Whether it is Parry Sound or any other area, I am sure that you will hear from many fellow riders that are pleased be of assistance.

If you have a problem planning a route as a result of the quality of the map in any area, then an idea might be to contact one of the advertisers that have supported the district by purchasing an ad. I would do that even if the map was perfect. Who better to help you with planning a trip than the very establishment that will be hosting you when you arrive? I am sure that they all would be more than happy to discuss area trails, routes and stops. They want the business and are willing to work hard to serve the sledding community the best that they can.

Please, if you have any questions at all about planning a trip through an area, do not hesitate to ask! Whether it is Parry Sound or any other area, I am sure that you will hear from many fellow riders that are pleased be of assistance.

This is exactly what I've been doing...both in other threads on this site and by e-mailing or calling accommodation operators directly.

I'm sorry you feel the way you do about criticisms of the 2009 map. However, if that feedback is not provided (I acknowledge that some of the comments are blunt, but fundamentally, are intended to be constructive...) then the widespread nature of the concerns will perhaps not be properly understood, and fully addressed the next time around.

:soapbox:

Let me hasten to add that this whole map dialogue is not intended to deter from our unwavering respect for all that the clubs and their volunteers do to make our sledding experiences what they are....for which I will once again say, "Thank you." :!:

are the trails open?

:P

I know I know...................Bad Bunny! :twisted:

Another Lifesaver!!!! :lol:

trails North and East of Parry Sound - trails I've never travelled but would like to.

Sounds like you'll be shown the trails 50 kms. due west of Parry Sound... where the whitecaps begin. :lol:

I'm typing this without even looking at who began the thread, but suggest that as with all other postings, when a topic heading has 'sucks' in it, it will generate controversy.

Reflecting on this topic last night (as I had some maps spread out on the dinner table), I recall the days when gas stations SOLD these things. So, on the one hand this map was 'free', and cost is not an issue. I recognize that significant costs were borne by PSSD and that maybe these costs go into trail passes, which are borne by us.

In any event, I once learned an important lesson working in a volunteer organization - the Director said:

"Mistakes happen. Once.

This type of mistake will not happen again."

(those of you who volunteer can fill in the blanks - mistakes happen. But the same type of mistake should only happen once. We move on.)

It's a lesson I've applied since then, and it's served me well.

Archived