Lets get together and open Haliburton

oxnarrowsresort

B is now partially open from 16 south to Anson lake. The old connector to Brady Lake has also been opened. Thanks to to oxnarrowsresort, andyo, Craig, Yakette and the groomer for the help Saturday.

Bridge south of Anson is in bad shape and cannot be crossed by the groomer. Some intrepid souls have been running the rest of the trail down to 118.

Thanks for ALL of your hard work! It seems like the club would not have done anything on their own to open this much up. I am angered that todays exec have done nothing to fix that bridge! What a shame, that is a major route!

How long is the bridge ?

Really hard to tell with all the snow,15'-20' would be a rough guess....

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So can you not cut down trees and build a bush bridge ? We had a bridge like that across blackstone creek (30') for years.

I'm wrong person to ask that question to.I believe that the HCSA would have to decide that as it's their groomer that has to go over it.....

Well i just checked the HCSA web site and their B trail from hwy118 south to Minden is closed for the season.....Two years running.

Now i'm assuming B trail hwy118 to Pine Springs will be too......

I'm not surprised, Derek and Yake both said south of 118 is in way worse condition than the north portion. The one question that comes to mind, is why they would leave a main trunk (top) trail in this state of condition. It is shown on all the maps. There are allot of business's missing out because of this closure, you would think they would also take an interest in resolving all this.

pretty sad I say. Talking with the pres Andy Chevadukas on Mond I was told that they would maintain the trail we opened, but they would not be opening south of #118. I am blown away that the peaple in Minden don't care. The groomer driver with us had a good plan to groom to the bridge, go out Brady lake rd to #118 go back north on B trail to bridge then cross #118 and go south to other bridge which has not been inspected for two years. A second groomer woul hit the B from Minden to the bridge. Sounds good, right. But it ain't going to happen. I don't understand why the trails are not run in the fall to appraise and repair. Worst part is sleds are running it, so it can't be that impassable. There was a hint from the pres that I was only doing this for my Business? Blows my mind how this guy who I have never met can get in my mind and forsee what I am thinking, or what he thinks I am thinking. I told him I do this cause I ride, plain and simple, plus they aren't doing it.

Hey OxNarrows.. Yes, it`s a sad situation.. I`m sure you could be spending the time on your own business and I thank you for all the time and effort you put into snowmobiling.. Sounds like the area needs some new blood in the club (or at least more help). I have ridden the Minden area several times and they had great trails.. Happy Trails.. Rick

One more thing, I have to stay positive or some peaple might accuse me of being anti club or shoot me in the head or something. The amount of traffic on the top B on sunday was huge, so at least it is being enjoyed. I took my family out on Monday( we make our own family days) and my wife ( I don't intend to show possession here) and kids were happy as hell to be back on the B, we stopped by Anson lake for a bevy and some talk. The top B is one of the best trails in Haliburton , tied maybe with #16 to Sherbourne, hours of riding with only one rd crossing, lots of scenery. We need some signage to direct peaple back to Kushog and #16, I asked Andy and he said they are low on signs and to go crazy and make some myself- ANY SIGN MAKERS HERE WHO MIGHT WANT TO HELP. I would like to give thanks to all that helped, we rocked, one day and look what we accomplished, imagine if we had the management on our side, we could shoot for the moon. Here's hoping Barack Obama is into sleddin, forget the wars: LETS RIDE.

The biggest challenge that the HCSA faces is its pur size . It is not possible for any 1 person to oversee the whole system . I firmly believe that dividing it up into "pods" would be helpfull as then the pods could set thier priorities and try to patrol the trails . I believe that there is around 1000 kms of trail and who knows how many bridges . Too much for one trail boss to oversee .

stopped in at the ox for prime rib saturday, awesome, met a tall pines volunteer on trail 64? off 101B, groomed this year to sherbourne rd finally, anyway he said that will be the new B trail next year, good luck, its a great trail but not wide enough to be a main B trail imo. Ox there is no shame with doing any work for your business, do you think any of the restaurants, mill pond, little hawk, oakview etc aren't happy the trail runs right by their front door. why do all the haliburton signs say to "pine springs" when the place doesn't exist any more? since the old shell station closed 198? i can't remember a groomed trail to pine springs anyway. keep up the good work all sledders appreciate what your doing

i believe the club cares more about the trails going in and around the town of Haliburton than the other trails.Those trails always get first attention from clearing brush and being groomed first.The B trail from Minden to Pine Springs rd is either neglected by accident or on purpose...Hey Ragefarmer,any idea where the new B trail will be,maybe closer or thru Haliburton by chance....

I have supported this club with my permit dollars and even helped clear B trail with Derek and Yakage on Sat. because it is a nice trail and yes i do use that trail when it's open .But they don't want city folks involved as we are not reliable to help or they don't want us involved in the club business as we might rock the boat......

Just my two cents worth on the topic..... :banghead:

i believe the club cares more about the trails going in and around the town of Haliburton than the other trails.Those trails always get first attention from clearing brush and being groomed first.The B trail from Minden to Pine Springs rd is either neglected by accident or on purpose...Hey Ragefarmer,any idea where the new B trail will be,maybe closer or thru Haliburton by chance....

I have supported this club with my permit dollars and even helped clear B trail with Derek and Yakage on Sat. because it is a nice trail and yes i do use that trail when it's open .But they don't want city folks involved as we are not reliable to help or they don't want us involved in the club business as we might rock the boat......

Just my two cents worth on the topic..... :banghead:

I will be sending my permit dollars elsewhere next year unless the club has a serious change of direction..... :angry:

Hey guy's, lets not get too crazy here, I've been thinking about some of the trail situations allot the last week or so. Has everybody read the thread about the 2010 F trail closure? Well here is my view and suggestion to the B trail problem.

my view: as WildBill has said, the hcsa is a huge rugged area, full of swamps lakes and extremely rugged terrain. I don't know their member base/age but they probably and obviously open the easiest trails first. By the time they are done that, they probably just plain and simply don't feel like tackling the B trail. So as some have mentioned, pods are the only way this will get done.

my suggestion: Derek goes to the pres. and asks, " if the B trail is cleared from Minden to trail 16 by early to mid fall, will you look after the bridges". If the pres. agrees , put together a group to clear the trail next year. (to be honest, after working on the north portion I knew this trail wouldn't open this year) I have 4 guys with atv's, trailers and saws that will come up and help. This would be far less work without 4-5' of snow on the ground.

If the pres.agrees to this, it would allow him time to apply for funds (grants) or what ever it is they do to get money to repair the bridges. If some of the crossings are small enough to use downed trees as wildbill suggested earlier, we could have that all set up for snowfall and freeze up.

I for 1 am willing to give back to snowmobiling when time permits, and I can make the time when a plan is put together. We are looking at clubs that are getting tired and quite possibly run off by situations like the Parry Sound incident last year. So the bottom line is, if snowmobilers do not give back with some manual labour......trails will close.

Hey guy's, lets not get too crazy here, I've been thinking about some of the trail situations allot the last week or so. Has everybody read the thread about the 2010 F trail closure? Well here is my view and suggestion to the B trail problem.

my view: as WildBill has said, the hcsa is a huge rugged area, full of swamps lakes and extremely rugged terrain. I don't know their member base/age but they probably and obviously open the easiest trails first. By the time they are done that, they probably just plain and simply don't feel like tackling the B trail. So as some have mentioned, pods are the only way this will get done.

my suggestion: Derek goes to the pres. and asks, " if the B trail is cleared from Minden to trail 16 by early to mid fall, will you look after the bridges". If the pres. agrees , put together a group to clear the trail next year. (to be honest, after working on the north portion I knew this trail wouldn't open this year) I have 4 guys with atv's, trailers and saws that will come up and help. This would be far less work without 4-5' of snow on the ground.

If the pres.agrees to this, it would allow him time to apply for funds (grants) or what ever it is they do to get money to repair the bridges. If some of the crossings are small enough to use downed trees as wildbill suggested earlier, we could have that all set up for snowfall and freeze up.

I for 1 am willing to give back to snowmobiling when time permits, and I can make the time when a plan is put together. We are looking at clubs that are getting tired and quite possibly run off by situations like the Parry Sound incident last year. So the bottom line is, if snowmobilers do not give back with some manual labour......trails will close.

I hope it it's that easy but don't count on it.I had no trouble putting in time to helping but i don't think they want city boys involved and maybe making them look bad by proving them wrong ......

I hope i'm wrong though.....

good call wildman. The hcsa was given funds or funds have been approved for restoration of bridges on the B. I have heard the new proposed B will be #16 which goes thru the ox then to #4, but like all thingd with sleddin, this is carved in snow only and can change quickly.

I totally understand the anger from yak and andy, they worked their asses of on the trails with word from the pres that the south would be opened. And 2 days later with a flick of the hcsa switch, this all changes. It wasn't just the days we were on the trails, but man I was sore for a couple of days after. Worst thing of all. the trail we cleared kicks: lots of snow, no signs of water. Don't forget though hcsa is a big county , the B north of #118 is just that, NORTH,the south side is in the South, weather changes. Recently i have heard of peaple flying into Sunny Minden for some vacation time in the south. So maybe the powers that Be have riden it and the beach sand kept ruining their bearings and sliders. AND THAT IS WHY THE SOUTH B. IS STAYING CLOSED THIS YEAR. :rotflmao:

There is a real resitance to involve it's members with the HCSA. Especially it seems the "cottagers". I have put down for years my willingness to volunteer on my trail permit renewal and faxed it directly to the club but never once a call. It is a massive undertaking to maintain a trail network as vast as the HCSA. However there seems to be no desire on the executive's part to organize work crews in advance of the season prefering to keep it within a set group. Perhaps that group are burned out? With a membership base as large as it has it needs to do a better job or organization : update the web site on a more regular basis, communicate it's needs and organize work parties in advance of the season and after ice storms and heavy early season storms. Be willing to accept help that is offered to you.

Don't forget though hcsa is a big county , the B north of #118 is just that, NORTH,the south side is in the South, weather changes. Recently i have heard of peaple flying into Sunny Minden for some vacation time in the south. So maybe the powers that Be have riden it and the beach sand kept ruining their bearings and sliders. AND THAT IS WHY THE SOUTH B. IS STAYING CLOSED THIS YEAR. :rotflmao:

Your priceless Derrick,keep it up......... :lol:

good call wildman. The hcsa was given funds or funds have been approved for restoration of bridges on the B. I have heard the new proposed B will be #16 which goes thru the ox then to #4, but like all thingd with sleddin, this is carved in snow only and can change quickly.

I totally understand the anger from yak and andy, they worked their asses of on the trails with word from the pres that the south would be opened. And 2 days later with a flick of the hcsa switch, this all changes. It wasn't just the days we were on the trails, but man I was sore for a couple of days after. Worst thing of all. the trail we cleared kicks: lots of snow, no signs of water. Don't forget though hcsa is a big county , the B north of #118 is just that, NORTH,the south side is in the South, weather changes. Recently i have heard of peaple flying into Sunny Minden for some vacation time in the south. So maybe the powers that Be have riden it and the beach sand kept ruining their bearings and sliders. AND THAT IS WHY THE SOUTH B. IS STAYING CLOSED THIS YEAR. :rotflmao:

They might as well do this. The TOPB from 118 south is a mess and always seems to be. Is it because of the hunting camps in there and all the 4X4 and ATV traffic? There must be over a dozen camps in that section. And YES..south of 118 towards Minden does get noticeable snow differences? Weird. It is like a dividing line. 16 and 4 pretty much bypass the old B anyways so I would rather see them widen and improve that anyway if they are not going to open B south into Minden. B south into Minden is a PITA (pain in the ass) :curse:

I find that 4 and 16 is a nicer trail. From your lodge Ox you can get over to the Happy Wanderers and over or north from there. Is the D101B as a mess as last winter?

I hope it it's that easy but don't count on it.I had no truoble putting in time to helping but i don't think they want city boys involved and maybe making them look bad by proving them wrong ......

I hope i'm wrong though.....

I hope I am wrong too. I was thrilled to see the direction of the club last two years. Trails were vastly improved and kept IMO very nice. I was seeing some changes....then this year, seems so far to be a step back. I have sent e mails and never got a response, checked off to volunteer, never to be contacted, called and left messages to offer assistance, never to be called back! :angry:

I have stuck up for this club here and on other forums but it is getting harder to when the club seems to be dropping the ball and falling short of expectations!

This club is huge! Oodles of permit sales, large membership base, so money is not the issue. It's a pretty affluent area too. Don't they have like six groomers and a pretty nice clubhouse in Haliburton? It seems like non-residents are not wanted. That is sad as with my shift work, I am up there almost half of the time. The ATV club has called me and keeps me updated. They have no issues with requesting the help from outsiders. Perhaps they should take over the HCSA and call it the Haliburton Powersports Authority or something.

I might be sending my permit dollars over to a neighboring club next year.

Wildbill, Are you refering to Bill Wilson? I had one of the founding members over for dinner last night, not Bill. He was telling me how they used to "cordroy" the swamp at the bottom of Anson Mountain every year. He states that all the directors and members would go out in fall and put logs across the swamps (cordroy) so the groomer could pass over swamps they knew would be a problem. They worked their butts off to make HCSA what it is today. And from conversations they ain't non to happy with the current state. We all know it, HCSA is getting a shity rap. Membership has fallen and will continue to fall until peaple see changes.

We always hear with global warming, changing weather blah,blah, but after talking to this old timer they faced the same issues with less money and broken equipment and didn't succumn to whatever mother nature thru at us. "The groomer had no wiper blades, the heater couldn't beat the drafts coming thru so ice would build up on the inside of the windows" but this was normal, so onward they charged thru the night with dismall equipment, but with hearts and pride and a will like iron to act as their foundation, not money or politics. They knew swamps were always an issue for early season riding, so they dealt with it. WHY DON'T WE CASH IN ON THIS WEALTH OF KNOWLEDGE FROM THESE GUYS, THEY FACED THE SAME ISSUES BUT NEVER WENT ASS BACKWARDS BY CLOSING TRAILS. To hear him speak and the passion in his voice it is inspiring. He was in Minden yesterday and he was telling me how trucks loaded with sleds were at the" gas stations, at tim hortons, at value mart, at IGA, and this is thursday "and continued with " I am so happy just to see them in town, supporting local businesses and riding the trails" . Unless we as the new generation smarten up and realize that we get out- only what we put in, I fear these trucks may start passing thru Haliburton only as a means to their final destination!

I met a heavy equipment mechanic the other day, he has phoned three times offering his services - but no return call?

A HORSE WALKS IN A BAR,ORDERS A BEER. BARTENDER LOOKS AT HIM AND ASKS " WHATS WITH THE LONG FACE"

A PIRATE WALKS IN THE BAR WITH HIS STEERING WHEEL DOWN HIS PANTS, BARTENDER LOOKS AT HIM " YOU KNOW YOU HAVE A STEERING WHEEL IN YOUR PANTS?"

PIRATE REPLYS :ARRRR I KNOW, SHES DRIVING ME NUTS"

CHEERS EVERYONE FOR GIVING A S#*T.

DEREK

Bill Wilson is a very good man . The president that I was speaking of was in 1983 1984 I think his name as Ross . At that time the HCSA met in his house on Mountain lake and was a very cohesive group.Tom Prentice and his crew did an excellent job of the trails and everyone worked together as a team. There was enthusiasm and pride .As a result HCSA trails rocked .

i have been speaking to some other clubs about assuming the trails north of 118, gas shortage distance from baysville is one problem, but maybe a diesel tank at ox would solve that.

another is hcsa actually agreeing to relinquish the trail as they get paid per kilometer of trails from the ofsc fund.

forward all comments to contactinfo@ofsc.on.ca and trails@ofsc.on.ca and maybe we can get some changes for next year.

i see very little use of the cordory road these days, back when i was a tall pines member we would cut lots of cedar out of the bush lay them side by side to form the cordory road for the groomer to cross the swampy areas.

Archived