Pine Springs to Baysville trail update

oxnarrowsresort

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The ride to Baysville from Kushog first became popular in the late eighties .At the time the first section from kushog to the Happy wanderers was never groomed as the HCSA did not recognize it as a trail . Did not matter we bumped along the first miles and were grateful to land on the wanderers trails . Initially grooming ended at the Black river skyway. Many good lunches were had at the Lincoln and the Pav. Baysville was very welcoming to sledders.

The ride to Baysville from Kushog first became popular in the late eighties .At the time the first section from kushog to the Happy wanderers was never groomed as the HCSA did not recognize it as a trail . Did not matter we bumped along the first miles and were grateful to land on the wanderers trails . Initially grooming ended at the Black river skyway. Many good lunches were had at the Lincoln and the Pav. Baysville was very welcoming to sledders.

Baysville Rocks!!!! Thats my home club and my riding buddies (and their friends) have brought the club back from the dead.. I luv the area!!! Great job Dan, Metro, Krusty and the rest of the volunteers.. The Baysville Express is great!!! Takes me right to Sydneys/Muskoka Motion..

Hey guys on the lighter side:

Last year in Feb we were having a busy night at the Ox. One of my neighbors comes to the bar and introduces me to his friend. They ask me if I could pull there car out, it's stuck. I told them I wouldn't be able to help till the rest. died down. So the neighbor left and his friend stayed. After maybe 10 min he asked me if we could leave to pull his car out? I stated again that I would not be able to leave until we slowed down. He seemed very impatiant. Kind of annoying when someone asks for help, then they start getting in your face. So I ask him if his car is stuck at my neighbors, no he replies. Well where is it?

On Pine Springs road he says. I asked how he got stuck on the road?

Well he says they left from toronto with their GPS and punched in Pine Springs. This route told them to take hwy #11 to hwy #118 then turn left on Black River rd! I thought this odd because only a little bit of Black River is open in the winter. I ask him if he is stuck on Black River, he says him and another car are stuck on the Bridge. The bridge? It is a snowmobile trail in the winter, totally unaccesible by car. These yahoo's turned on the trail and proceeded to drive to pine springs on the snowmobile trail. Unbelievable! I asked "why the hell would you drive there"? Because thats where our GPS told us to go. I stated that there must be about 4' of snow on the ground. He replies that his friends had to push the cars over the snowbank to get on the trail! He then drove on the trail till the bridge, I don't know if anyone knows how this bridge looks in winter, but i don't think my 5 year old would try to drive a car on it.

So i tell the guy he's on a snowmobile trail , not a road. And the bridge is only single width, he must be blocking the trail? he tells me that thereare a bunch of sledders on both sides of the bridge getting very angry, ha the stupidity. I found this rather amusing and so did the bar. His friends called him around the time we are all still laughing are asses off. It turns out there was about 20 sledders being blocked, so they pushed the cars of the bridge and the trail.

Moral of story : BE CAREFUL WHO YOU INTRODUCE TO SLEDDING, IF A PERSON CANMAKE IT INTO "THE DUMB AS A CHICKEN BOOK" :banghead: THEY SHOULD NOT BE ON A SLED.

CHEERS TO ALL AND BEST FOR THE NEW YEAR.

Last year in Feb we were having a busy night at the Ox. One of my neighbors comes to the bar and introduces me to his friend. They ask me if I could pull there car out, it's stuck. I told them I wouldn't be able to help till the rest. died down. So the neighbor left and his friend stayed. After maybe 10 min he asked me if we could leave to pull his car out? I stated again that I would not be able to leave until we slowed down. He seemed very impatiant. Kind of annoying when someone asks for help, then they start getting in your face. So I ask him if his car is stuck at my neighbors, no he replies. Well where is it?

On Pine Springs road he says. I asked how he got stuck on the road?

Well he says they left from toronto with their GPS and punched in Pine Springs. This route told them to take hwy #11 to hwy #118 then turn left on Black River rd! I thought this odd because only a little bit of Black River is open in the winter. I ask him if he is stuck on Black River, he says him and another car are stuck on the Bridge. The bridge? It is a snowmobile trail in the winter, totally unaccesible by car. These yahoo's turned on the trail and proceeded to drive to pine springs on the snowmobile trail. Unbelievable! I asked "why the hell would you drive there"? Because thats where our GPS told us to go. I stated that there must be about 4' of snow on the ground. He replies that his friends had to push the cars over the snowbank to get on the trail! He then drove on the trail till the bridge, I don't know if anyone knows how this bridge looks in winter, but i don't think my 5 year old would try to drive a car on it.

So i tell the guy he's on a snowmobile trail , not a road. And the bridge is only single width, he must be blocking the trail? he tells me that thereare a bunch of sledders on both sides of the bridge getting very angry, ha the stupidity. I found this rather amusing and so did the bar. His friends called him around the time we are all still laughing are asses off. It turns out there was about 20 sledders being blocked, so they pushed the cars of the bridge and the trail.

Moral of story : BE CAREFUL WHO YOU INTRODUCE TO SLEDDING, IF A PERSON CANMAKE IT INTO "THE DUMB AS A CHICKEN BOOK" :banghead: THEY SHOULD NOT BE ON A SLED.

CHEERS TO ALL AND BEST FOR THE NEW YEAR.

LMAO!!! :rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:

Saw a moron try todrive a car down trail 7 last winter. Just before you cross Kashagawigamog. He was well along and half way up a steep hill!!

I know that bridge over the Black River too well. It is amazing he got that far!

I know someone who likes to drive on trails, too! :rotflmao: :poke: :poke: :poke:

Big Tom used to be the trail boss . There were paid men running the groomers and the trails were groomed consistantly . The "new world order "took over and fired not only Tom but all the paid operators as a cost saving measure and put volenteers in the cab . The result was broken equipment and poor trails.

That is a shame! :angry:

I hope the current Exec and directors keeps up the good work from the last two seasons. They were sure on an upswing.

"My advice to the club (this will be going into an e mail to them), is to concentrate on some soft skills. In such as to improve and keep the website up to date. Keep the maps up to date. Stop showing closed trails that are no longer used or even semi useable! When people volunteer....actually call them! Or find someone who can organize volunteers. I have stepped up the last two years and have yet to have been asked to help out! I have e mailed, telephoned, spoken to a director and still no call for help???? Yet they cry for volunteers?"

Hey Fred:

It seems the HCSA neither wants or thinks they need your kind ( and my kind as well ). I see you show Burlington/Haliburton as your homes. Unfortunately the club exec doesn't want the "city folk". Let me explain...

I ran into an old time club member at the Carnarvon store a few days ago...as I had ridden my sled there, we struck up a conversation. That area actually had a few groomed trails, namely parts of trail 4 and 15. Anyhow I was able to run a 5 Km section from my cottage to the store in the pouring rain on fairly well groomed trails.

Then we both had a good laugh at me riding in the rain.

The conversation went on to grooming and clearing of trails in the area and the volunteer situation. I stated that for the last 3 years both my wife and I had checked off the box on the permit application stating our willingness to help.

He asked me where we lived. I told him that we lived in the Milton area and had a place on Bosh and were up most weekends. I got a weird stare from him as he stated that they were not interested in "CITY FOLKS" as they were not reliable.

Hey Ox,count me in. I will gladly help some one who appreciates the city folk... I have even tried to clear a few trails myself in the area but Its a difficult job for one yak in deep snow.

On a side note things should be better for the sledders in this area as the lakes are firming up nicely. Ran Kushog from the Ox to the south end yesterday and crossed the north end of Bosh well down from buttermilk in the area of a couple of ice huts. Fishermen say there is 6 inches good ice.

volenteer oordination/trail coordination/communication is alot easier than it sounds .To have the jobs on "tap" the volenteers to do them and the timing and communication is an unbelievable resource for some one that holds down a full time job on the side :banghead: HCSA is an unbelievably huge area and likely needs to structure itself into "pods" Just an idea even this would not be easy as you would then need to cordinate between pods and the politcs would become large. Oh well good luck guys.

Last year in Feb .. CHEERS TO ALL AND BEST FOR THE NEW YEAR.

Wonderful story. :rotflmao:

And a happy new year to you and your family as well.

"My advice to the club (this will be going into an e mail to them), is to concentrate on some soft skills. In such as to improve and keep the website up to date. Keep the maps up to date. Stop showing closed trails that are no longer used or even semi useable! When people volunteer....actually call them! Or find someone who can organize volunteers. I have stepped up the last two years and have yet to have been asked to help out! I have e mailed, telephoned, spoken to a director and still no call for help???? Yet they cry for volunteers?"

Hey Fred:

It seems the HCSA neither wants or thinks they need your kind ( and my kind as well ). I see you show Burlington/Haliburton as your homes. Unfortunately the club exec doesn't want the "city folk". Let me explain...

I ran into an old time club member at the Carnarvon store a few days ago...as I had ridden my sled there, we struck up a conversation. That area actually had a few groomed trails, namely parts of trail 4 and 15. Anyhow I was able to run a 5 Km section from my cottage to the store in the pouring rain on fairly well groomed trails.

The conversation went on to grooming and clearing of trails in the area and the volunteer situation. I stated that for the last 3 years both my wife and I had checked off the box on the permit application stating our willingness to help.

He asked me where we lived. I told him that we lived in the Milton area and had a place on Bosh and were up most weekends. I got a weird stare from him as he stated that they were not interested in "CITY FOLKS" as they were not reliable.

Hey Ox,count me in. I will gladly help some one who appreciates the city folk... I have even tried to clear a few trails myself in the area but Its a difficult job for one yak in deep snow.

On a side note things should be better for the sledders in this area as the lakes are firming up nicely. Ran Kushog from the Ox to the south end yesterday and crossed the north end of Bosh well down from buttermilk in the area of a couple of ice huts. Fishermen say there is 6 inches good ice.

Hey Yak...familiar story! Many of the good folks around Haliburton HATE when "city folk" try to get involved. It is our money and tax dollars that make the economy up there. I am a firefighter and with my schedule practically live up north almost half the time anyways, yet I get the same feeling. NO OUTSIDERS. I can also understand that I am sure many offer help and then are never around or when they see how much work is involved, they run the other way. I have the time, the resources and the interest in helping, but I won't forever.

I am on Maple Lake and have a rental on Halls. Glad to see the lakes firming up. The snow melted off and the deep freeze that has returned should really draw some good ice in. Just need some fresh snow!

I too have tried on my own to clear trails and debris but it is hard when sometimes you need several people and some elbow grease. All the saws, ATV's and sleds can not do some of that work alone.

See you on the trails.

Hey Fred:

Hey Yak...familiar story! Many of the good folks around Haliburton HATE when "city folk" try to get involved. It is our money and tax dollars that make the economy up there. I am a firefighter and with my schedule practically live up north almost half the time anyways, yet I get the same feeling. NO OUTSIDERS. I can also understand that I am sure many offer help and then are never around or when they see how much work is involved, they run the other way. I have the time, the resources and the interest in helping, but I won't forever.

I am on Maple Lake and have a rental on Halls. Glad to see the lakes firming up. The snow melted off and the deep freeze that has returned should really draw some good ice in. Just need some fresh snow!

I too have tried on my own to clear trails and debris but it is hard when sometimes you need several people and some elbow grease. All the saws, ATV's and sleds can not do some of that work alone.

See you on the trails.

volenteer oordination/trail coordination/communication is alot easier than it sounds .To have the jobs on "tap" the volenteers to do them and the timing and communication is an unbelievable resource for some one that holds down a full time job on the side :banghead: HCSA is an unbelievably huge area and likely needs to structure itself into "pods" Just an idea even this would not be easy as you would then need to cordinate between pods and the politcs would become large. Oh well good luck guys.

Love this idea. The area is huge and tough to groom (why it is so awesome to sled in when the trails are A1). Even if you had a crew responsible for Pine Springs/Over to Ox's place and up. Another crew for Haliburton and up to Eagle Lake and across the TOPE. Another group to look after south end like from Hwy 118 on down to Minden....oh wait, nobody goes there anyways.

Seriously, the pods or zone thing is a great idea. It pi$$#$ me off when I hear about how many have volunteered only to never get a call. The HATVA called me and e mailed me last spring when they were rebuilding the bridge over the Irondale river. They also notfied me of brushing days and trail garbage colection dates too. I did what I could, and felt that I had given a little back.

Even if "city folk" helped out here or there, it is still less for the resident vounteers to deal with. Even website updating and maintenance could be done remotely by a "city person" who has computer skills and some free time.

Good Idea. I talked to the president on Mon of the HCSA. He said they were doing their best and have been out brushing since the wind storm. Good news: I am pretty sure the guy yak ran into is not associated with the club anymore. He was a member of the old HCSA. Just lots of talk going nowhere.

As far as pods, I need to assemble one for sat morning to brush the B.

So come on guys we need some hands and saws. All gas will be paid with lunch and the Ox will sponsor the event by giving anyone who helps a weekend stay for get this $20 bucks, yes $10. a night. Come on up fri, brush sat morn and afternoon and play the rest of sat and sunday. I Have been told that with the snow coming today and tomorrow that they will go full force on all trails and be open, even if limited by this weekend and next. We all love Haliburton, now lets make it our own. :wavey:

Way to go OX. That is why we eat at your place! If I did not have a property up there I would stay there too. Thanks for rallying the troops. I am on shift Saturday but keep us updated for future work when you hear of it. The more notice the better!

Looks like I am going to be busy, any more takers?

Unfortunately...I am on shift Saturday. I wish there was more notice for this work rather than a couple days or so. That is an issue with the website...why are they not posting major work like this? It feels like they really don't want the help???

I have signed up to help before..never to have been contacted. OX deserves credit for getting things posted on here. Otherwise, I would never know, like others!

Sounds like it would be fun. I would be there but I'm not available until late Saturday afternoon ... sorry.

I hope the HCSA get's some trails open this weekend. It is great that they are working on the TOPB Pine Springs to Hwy118 section, but other than the rail line from Haliburton, they are listing EVRYTHING else as closed still???

I know the signs have been out, other trails brushed panned and groomed at least once so....what are they waiting for now? Tall Pines just to the north has several listed as fully "open" and still some limited.

I know #16 and 4 have been groomed. Most of the hal trails should be groomed for the weekend. The B will be the last one groomed. We got about 10'' of snow and lots of cold temps. So no excuses now, just lots of work and then play.

Looks like I am going to be busy, any more takers?

Unfortunately...I am on shift Saturday. I wish there was more notice for this work rather than a couple days or so. That is an issue with the website...why are they not posting major work like this? It feels like they really don't want the help???

I have signed up to help before..never to have been contacted. OX deserves credit for getting things posted on here. Otherwise, I would never know, like others!

You hit it. I phoned to get it going and so far I think we have around 4 or 5. Hopefully wildman can make it.

On board so far

Yackage

Pilsburry (kev)

Pilsburry's son

and a few undecided

Archived