Pine Springs to Baysville trail update

oxnarrowsresort

Well it has been a great start in Haliburton this year. It looks like the snow gods are smiling at us. Hsca has been a little slow like normal getting things ready. They seem to be taking care of the east side very well but lagging greatly on the north and west side. Kinda funny how the club exec live around Hal and they get the first grooming done. Head lAKE IS STAKED , but #16 and Anson have not even been looked at. Bit of a sore spot when you see minor trails not on the map are groomed but not major trails that lead to other networks and bus. that pay to advertise and volonteer their time are a mess. MSR on my last ride have not started to groom as of yet, this will prob change quickly as this is a club which generally has it's @$&* together. Tall pines led the pack this year with trails groomed to Dwight. Good job guys. Once again I here from folks hanging around the lodge that they checked the volunteer box on permit application, ready to get the saws out, but nobody calls. Wicked organization. :angry: The Top B is supposed to be closed again this year with a bridge out. This is second hand info so don't quote me on it.

We have over 3 1/2 feet of snow so if your aggresive the fun is there to be had. Someone has to pack the trail so the frost gets in and shake the trees. Usually I take care of #16 hsca and Kushog and Nora but I have recieved any calls for this volunteer service? I am kinda getting the feeling that we are secondary to central Haliburton this year. Well lets hope this changes ,we lead to the most trail heads in Haliburton and this area should get some attention.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well it has been a great start in Haliburton this year. It looks like the snow gods are smiling at us. Hsca has been a little slow like normal getting things ready. They seem to be taking care of the east side very well but lagging greatly on the north and west side. Kinda funny how the club exec live around Hal and they get the first grooming done. Head lAKE IS STAKED , but #16 and Anson have not even been looked at. Bit of a sore spot when you see minor trails not on the map are groomed but not major trails that lead to other networks and bus. that pay to advertise and volonteer their time are a mess. MSR on my last ride have not started to groom as of yet, this will prob change quickly as this is a club which generally has it's @$&* together. Tall pines led the pack this year with trails groomed to Dwight. Good job guys. Once again I here from folks hanging around the lodge that they checked the volunteer box on permit application, ready to get the saws out, but nobody calls. Wicked organization. :angry: The Top B is supposed to be closed again this year with a bridge out. This is second hand info so don't quote me on it.

We have over 3 1/2 feet of snow so if your aggresive the fun is there to be had. Someone has to pack the trail so the frost gets in and shake the trees. Usually I take care of #16 hsca and Kushog and Nora but I have recieved any calls for this volunteer service? I am kinda getting the feeling that we are secondary to central Haliburton this year. Well lets hope this changes ,we lead to the most trail heads in Haliburton and this area should get some attention.

maybe you should call someone ?

Yeah thats a great idea , why not volunteer to be the clubs Volunteer Coordinator maybe they will have a much better volunteer pool with all your organizational skills/Time !

i remember last year around the end of january a saturday morning i rode down from dorset to the trail north of you, and it was a POS when we got to your lodge there was the groomer in your yard, i spoke to you and you said they just park it there. i called hcsa there response was the trail wasn't on that nights schedule...give me a break the groomer should be running 24-7, no excuses...they have been doing an excellent job in the last few years grooming almost every night it seems from carnarvon up through hawk lake to the sherbourne trail, but yes your area seems to get left out..solution i think its time you learned to drive a groomer, just my 2 cents

Ok, feedback is good! We do not need to attack everyone that has something to say about our trails or clubs that is deemed negative. Feedback is how we learn. I also believe that when reading posts we often put our own spin on how we read it and it is not always how it was intended.

So, on Ontario Conditions we value peoples opinions, positive or negative.

I know of another resort operator close by who would throughly agree with OxNarrows. Infact he was a former director etc etc and told me he just got sick and tired of the BS. At that time 3 groomers, only one running and a total of 700 hrs grooming for a complete winter. Just my two cents.

rain, rain, rain. Well it looks like mother nature took it in to her own hands to pack the trails and rid the lakes of snow. We reached plus 9 yest. and lots of rain. But supposed to get cold again with lots of white gold today and tomorrow. Will keep all posted.

I see the other was a sensitive subject. Metalica said it all `SAD BUT TRUE `. Last year I thought they pulled it together in late Jan. The only thing is we don`t live in the arctic or Greenland, we only get graced with snow for such a short time. So capatalize on it. The Hal. Forest has been open for over a month now, why , cause it is a business and treated as such. It is almost like a right that we buy permits early or late but this has no influence on groomer operations. This seems out of balance or outdated to say the least.

:poke:

rain, rain, rain. Well it looks like mother nature took it in to her own hands to pack the trails and rid the lakes of snow. We reached plus 9 yest. and lots of rain. But supposed to get cold again with lots of white gold today and tomorrow. Will keep all posted.

I see the other was a sensitive subject. Metalica said it all `SAD BUT TRUE `. Last year I thought they pulled it together in late Jan. The only thing is we don`t live in the arctic or Greenland, we only get graced with snow for such a short time. So capatalize on it. The Hal. Forest has been open for over a month now, why , cause it is a business and treated as such. It is almost like a right that we buy permits early or late but this has no influence on groomer operations. This seems out of balance or outdated to say the least.

:poke:

Are you sure you want to appear to be so anti-club? You are a business and I understand that open trails make you money but you are forgetting that many of the people you are communicating to here are club members, volunteers, directors and most of all sledders that are potential customers of yours....well until you started posting. :poke:

It is unfortunate that anybody can get a gun license without taking a special test to ensure that they don't shoot themselves in the foot.... wait, they do have a special test for that. :poke:

Domino I love my club and Haliburton. Been cottaging here since I was 4. Then bought two properties as an adult. Since I have owned the lodge I have given my time and paid my staff to maintain trails around the lodge. We brushed the B twice last year as requested so it could be groomed. And as I said I paid my staff to help. I have had the groomer there as well. I take care of two ramps that need constant upkeep of of Kushog. I put a detour trail from Nora to Kushog to avoid the open water at early and end of season, and stake Kushog and Nora. How can I be percieved as anti club?

I will no doubt become more involved with the club as my time permits.

But Domino I find it very hard to sitback and be a typical push me around Canadian and just take what is given. If we don`t ask for change or improvement how can we get it. I bought this bus. solely because of my love for the sport , it`s the best thing to do on earth, ( I am having a real toss up here: sledding vs sex). If there are current members from the club, please give me a call, you have my number , we sell your permits, advertise and will help whenever possible. I can, round up a group of guys and galls to help with the trails, no problem. Anti club, Last year the operators and chairs told me I was the only business who takes a vested interest through action, and as well we give any volunteer and paid members a discount at our lodge( 15 percent). Let me state again, I love my club and more so, I think my action show i CARE A HECK OF A LOT. We have lost far to many members because of politics and egos, our best driver Donny Alton, past presès, Peter Zion to name a few. Let's stop worrying about bruising egos and concentrate on improving.

Better yet why don't we update the HSCA web site and tell peaple whats going on, last I checked it was updated Nov 28.

Always giving a S#%T

Derek Johannessen

Sledders for Sledders

well said Derek.........so many people don't understand how cleeky some of these clubs can be (NOTE, SOME CLUBS).

Allot of people lose interest quick in a situation like you are in, stick it out, it will be worth it. I think anybody that has ridden in your area understands your concern and will not hold your opinions against you.......I've ridden there and avoid it like the plague, so keep fighting, it's worth it. :argue:

Thanks Wild , positive is great, and I am. But why aviod our area, sad to hear that. Last year the majority of our trails where killer, and the layout of the land is second to none in Ontario,always feel free to call me for updates, or view my posts. Thats why I am here, not to shoot myself in the foot or head. Maybe some others might like to, sure hope not. Any how you can always drop by for a bevy, same to you Domino, engagement and discussion are always welcome, plus my sleds kicks yours and my dad's bigger :poke:

oxnarrowsresort@hotmail.com

, staying light Derek S. Johannessen

If I was to think about driving a groomer how many horse do they have and how are they in the corners?

It's been a few years, (can't remember how many), but the trails where really beat bad, I know it is high traffic around there. I rode there allot before our group started back packing. We always had fun, but you know how you burn 1 area out and you move to another? We tend to trailer farther to get out of the traffic and into the bigger country where when there is traffic it is spread out. You never know, if we ride from home, there is a good possibility we could end up there.

Domino I love my club and Haliburton. Been cottaging here since I was 4. Then bought two properties as an adult. Since I have owned the lodge I have given my time and paid my staff to maintain trails around the lodge. We brushed the B twice last year as requested so it could be groomed. And as I said I paid my staff to help. I have had the groomer there as well. I take care of two ramps that need constant upkeep of of Kushog. I put a detour trail from Nora to Kushog to avoid the open water at early and end of season, and stake Kushog and Nora. How can I be percieved as anti club?

I will no doubt become more involved with the club as my time permits.

But Domino I find it very hard to sitback and be a typical push me around Canadian and just take what is given. If we don`t ask for change or improvement how can we get it. I bought this bus. solely because of my love for the sport , it`s the best thing to do on earth, ( I am having a real toss up here: sledding vs sex). If there are current members from the club, please give me a call, you have my number , we sell your permits, advertise and will help whenever possible. I can, round up a group of guys and galls to help with the trails, no problem. Anti club, Last year the operators and chairs told me I was the only business who takes a vested interest through action, and as well we give any volunteer and paid members a discount at our lodge( 15 percent). Let me state again, I love my club and more so, I think my action show i CARE A HECK OF A LOT. We have lost far to many members because of politics and egos, our best driver Donny Alton, past presès, Peter Zion to name a few. Let's stop worrying about bruising egos and concentrate on improving.

Better yet why don't we update the HSCA web site and tell peaple whats going on, last I checked it was updated Nov 28.

Always giving a S#%T

Derek Johannessen

Sledders for Sledders

That's odd, I heard some of the same stories about the club a couple of years ago. I remember new blood was going to help the club. I guess some people have their old friends and will support them. Too bad people can't put aside their petty differences and just work together.

At that time 3 groomers, only one running and a total of 700 hrs grooming for a complete winter. Just my two cents.

man 700 hours with 3 Groomers... I a good season we almost put that on each groomers here. OFSC says a groomer should have about 500 a season.... (Per groomer) but there is many things for the reason of that.

Hey Derrick ,nice to hear from you again.I can tell you guys Derrick has hit it on the nail.West Hali trails get very little attention compared to trails around the town of Haliburton .B trail from Minden to Pine Springs was not groomed last year at all.I know weather is critical to grooming but so is politics.I'm not one to bash a club,but at least call a spade a spade and say some areas get treated better than others is true.I do buy my permit from Hali. club but due to the lack of attention given to these trails,i ride the surrounding clubs trails more as they are kept up better.

Derrick,i'll see at lodge once Kushog freezes or the roads get more sled friendly.Cheers....

Andy

Well I have to add my two cents here....

I have been an avid supporter of the HCSA since getting back into sledding three years ago. This club has come a long way from the ugly mess that was the case in the eighties. I thought last year was great. I saw the groomers out all the time and even during MArch break, saw the trail system groomed what seemed like nightly!

Like any club. There are issues. From my standpoint there is lot's to fix and there are some great things done too. Part of the problem the HCSA faces is fixing the mess getting into Minden and out again. It is a mess for sure but that is not all the club's fault. Minden council is not helping any and it seems as though they are hindering the progess of improving town access!

Landowner issues are also a problem. Part in parcel to the morons who insist on tresspassing and wreaking havoc on private property! This has caused many issues all together!

My advice to the club (this will be going into an e mail to them), is to concentrate on some soft skills. In such as to improve and keep the website up to date. Keep the maps up to date. Stop showing closed trails that are no longer used or even semi useable! When people volunteer....actually call them! Or find someone who can organize volunteers. I have stepped up the last two years and have yet to have been asked to help out! I have e mailed, telephoned, spoken to a director and still no call for help???? Yet they cry for volunteers?

This club has turned around almost completely and despite the great things they have done, there is still more to do. I understand that there is another new President this year. I wonder how anything can get accomplished when the turn around is so frequent? The season is still very early and last year we were blessed with an early start, yet there was also a mid January thaw that was horrid last year too. The thaw this year was early! Too early. Let's hope there will be no more thaws.

Let's give the club a chance to align things and see what spins out. I will again step up to help this year and well see where that goes.

I also have to say that I often stop and Ox Narrows Resort and have always had a first class meal, friendly service and a good time. I hope the HCSA get on the ball and look hard at that area and get the groomer out there instead of being parked.

Incidentally the MSR trails just outside of Pine Springs last year were horrid anytime I rode them. D101B was a rollercoaster of a mess! So..it's not just the HCSA that has issues. The Paudash club left the TOPE in a terrible state too for much of the Winter. Point is that all clubs have issues and shortcomings. What are we doing to help?

Well said Fred. I agree 100% with you. Last year we had a late start, but when it started it was the best it had been in years. Jeff was grooming co ordinator for the past two years and did an outstanding job. I know jeff quit because of the constant battle he faced internally within the club, to bad. Same with Prez Peter and five other chairs this year. It sucks huge to have so much internal politics. In my opinion HSCA should be the top club. We have a very extensive trail system and a substantial membership base.

I have a large number of volunteers ready to go out and clean some trails and get them ready for the groomer, so seeing as nobody is calling me , i'll phone and offer my assistance.

Thanks very much for the compliment , I passed it along to Shirley.

I can't understand how the business's in Minden can let the trails be so bad. Last year we had to go retrieve a sled that had a ski torn of just as he was exiting the trail to go into town. There was a water valve or meter of some kind projecting from the snow. I hear from so many sledders that they want touch the town of minden because of condition and running the asphalt through the hole town? It is a big loss of income for the town.

I have dreams of Haliburton modeling itself after Quebec, were the trails are better than the roads and the scenery is breathtaking. Where one can travel by sled to anywhere in our county and be welcome with sincere smiles by all who they meet. One day soon I hope.

It is sad to see good volunteers quit. I am proud to buy my permits in Haliburton. Period. I ride there, I bought my sleds there, my atv there and get all my service done in the "Highlands". The club was progressing very well. I often corresponded with Peter, (who was quick to respond and informative). I have no issues with grooming either! Done very well to say the least.

I hope things remian progressive and things continue to blossom. The club was ugly for a long time! The area is great, with some of the best trails around and the scenery to match. Places such as yours are great to stop at for gas and food. It is about bolstering the economy there after all.

See you soon for some awesome roast beef!

Well said Fred. I agree 100% with you. Last year we had a late start, but when it started it was the best it had been in years. Jeff was grooming co ordinator for the past two years and did an outstanding job. I know jeff quit because of the constant battle he faced internally within the club, to bad. Same with Prez Peter and five other chairs this year. It sucks huge to have so much internal politics. In my opinion HSCA should be the top club. We have a very extensive trail system and a substantial membership base.

I have a large number of volunteers ready to go out and clean some trails and get them ready for the groomer, so seeing as nobody is calling me , i'll phone and offer my assistance.

Thanks very much for the compliment , I passed it along to Shirley.

I can't understand how the business's in Minden can let the trails be so bad. Last year we had to go retrieve a sled that had a ski torn of just as he was exiting the trail to go into town. There was a water valve or meter of some kind projecting from the snow. I hear from so many sledders that they want touch the town of minden because of condition and running the asphalt through the hole town? It is a big loss of income for the town.

I have dreams of Haliburton modeling itself after Quebec, were the trails are better than the roads and the scenery is breathtaking. Where one can travel by sled to anywhere in our county and be welcome with sincere smiles by all who they meet. One day soon I hope.

It was that way in 1986 then the "new world order" took over and boy did it go in the $#!t can in a hurry! I was pleased to see that it was working better good luck.

I was sledding then (first time into the sport back then). It was a mess in the mid to late eighties. Trails were a zoo and the club was quickly becoming the joke of the province. That reputation was carried for years! I got out of sledding and back into it three years ago. I am pleased to say that things sure seemed turned around. Hope it stays that way.

I was sledding then (first time into the sport back then). It was a mess in the mid to late eighties. Trails were a zoo and the club was quickly becoming the joke of the province. That reputation was carried for years! I got out of sledding and back into it three years ago. I am pleased to say that things sure seemed turned around. Hope it stays that way.

The start of the end was when they first interfered with and then fired Tom Prentice . A couple of people with big ideas and climbed the executive ladder using thier magazine credentials to hide behind . 1986 was the last good year of that era. My mothers marina sold almost 200 permits a year and still could not get a straight answer from these "fine folks" instead we recieved backstabbing and undermining.

I had hoped that after the reports that I had heard last year that those days were gone. The great thing about the highlands is how well the lakes connect . You sure can rack up the miles on the lakes in a hurry .

The start of the end was when they first interfered with and then fired Tom Prentice . A couple of people with big ideas and climbed the executive ladder using thier magazine credentials to hide behind . 1986 was the last good year of that era. My mothers marina sold almost 200 permits a year and still could not get a straight answer from these "fine folks" instead we recieved backstabbing and undermining.

I had hoped that after the reports that I had heard last year that those days were gone. The great thing about the highlands is how well the lakes connect . You sure can rack up the miles on the lakes in a hurry .

Tom Prentice....saw him when I was picking up my new sled. Still helps at the dealership. Paul has been very good to me. Always been fair and good service.

The lakes are a good run. It is amazing how fast you can loop around using the lakes and barely touch a trail! Run from Haliburton up to Moose, Eagle, Redstone, Kenisis, Red Pine, Hawk Lakes and Halls, Boshkung etc....

What did they do to Tom Prentice??

Big Tom used to be the trail boss . There were paid men running the groomers and the trails were groomed consistantly . The "new world order "took over and fired not only Tom but all the paid operators as a cost saving measure and put volenteers in the cab . The result was broken equipment and poor trails.

Archived