Let's All Guess when Dunahmic Will Open.

SteveH

By the first weekend of feb, the 101 will have been ridden by hundreds of people , and will not have been groomed. By the 7th the groomer will be back at Ahmic Harbour and broken down. PLEASE GOD PROVE ME WRONG.. :lol: Now to try and recreate all the info I had on the other board........going to be a long day

I update the Dunahmic website and will post trailconditions here.

Our trails would have been open this week as full grooming was to start monday ..but we all know what happened. (packing, brush clearing and signing is pretty much complete)

Some of the bridges need work on c101 and I believe thats almost complete. Also there is still a couple trees to cut down in dunchurch for the new trail re-route.

We were set back by the heavy rains that fell just before xmas. At my cottage we went from three feet of snow to less than a foot with grass patches on xmas day.

So after a few snowfalls and colder weather I went out to inspect the trails on Dec 29 and this is what I found:

1. Could not get through because of open water on every feeder trail. Creeks and washouts that were 15 feet wide and 5 feet deep made it pretty tough to pass through. Since all the feeder trails are only groomed with a skandic and drag its a ton of work to build little bridges and the water has to stop running for that to work. Quite a few trees had fallen with the heavy winds just after xmas.

2. Lakes are not safe yet but I did see a few brave souls... My end of lake manitouwabing was and still is completely open water due to current. There is not alot of ice and quite heavy in slush.

3. NO trail that crosses swamps or water were touched by a groomer anywhere in PSSD. I found it sad but still amusing as I drove down mcdougall road and saw a couple of poor saps covered up to their necks in mud frantically trying to salvage one of their sleds from the bog on the bypass. Im sure those guys regretted their "early" ride

The only trail that was really passable was the seguin.

I have not noticed any grooming anywhere around PSSD except for the seguin and through town. No trail has yet been posted OPEN in all of PSSD

I have friends that already have 1500 kms on their machines this year, but they ride phelpston, barrie, collingwood, wasaga, fenelon falls, orillia, midland and penetangue. No lakes, lots of fields and rail lines.

That just doesnt happen in Parry Sound.....it take s alot of time, cold temps, snow and work to get trails ready.

3. NO trail that crosses swamps or water were touched by a groomer anywhere in PSSD. I found it sad but still amusing as I drove down mcdougall road and saw a couple of poor saps covered up to their necks in mud frantically trying to salvage one of their sleds from the bog on the bypass. Im sure those guys regretted their "early" ride

I have seen places on the 101 where guys have tried to ride their sleds in an attempt for an early ride. Some of the swamp areas I wouldn't try to ride my enduro bike through let alone a sled thats twice as heavy and gets stuck way easier. Still you watch, by this weekend some will be trying ....At least they may pack it down. Still it will be awhile before you can get the groomer over the swampy stuff and have enough snow to cover all the rockey areas.

Archived