What to do if you fall through the ice.

ZR SLEDHEAD

It's the part that he didn't cover that concerns me the most.

How to git warm and dry in -20* when all your clothes are wet....

Call of the Wild always comes to mind.

-----------------------

Think Snow Eh!

Ox

Check out Dr. Gordon Giesbrecht a.k.a. Professor Popsicle. He's a professor at the University of Manitoba. He has spent his career studying cold water immersion survival. 

He has a One - Ten - One rule:

Once in the water, you have ONE MINUTE to recover from the gasp reflex and control your breathing.

You have TEN MINUTES to make every attempt to get yourself out of the water before you lose the use of your extremities, your hands.

Once out, you have ONE HOUR to build a fire and literally wring all the water you can out of your clothes, before serious hypothermia sets in.

He has several videos available on Youtube. 

Every Driver Training class is given this information. We also do a survival fire starting demo: cotton balls coated in vaseline and wrapped in foil and flint/steel sparker. Waterproof and works everytime.

Edited by Claire Voyant
  • Like 1

Well, those time stamps are going to need edited per temp.

-40 aint +2

Sure hope your chum has some extra dry clothes!

On 12/5/2019 at 12:15 PM, ZR SLEDHEAD said:

Waterproof matches in your jacket.

Trick is to not die in the water so at least you have a chance.

I keep road flares in the sled, and in a baggie, but that does no-one much good at the bottom of a beaver pond.

Hopefully your chum carries flares too!

They beat matches in real world conditions by so much it's hardly fair to compare.  

You don't have emergencies too often in warm/dry weather. Your matches may be waterproof, but your wood is still wet and froze.

I think that I may have some waterproof matches squirelled away in a pack somewhere yet?

In my jacket pocket I have a zip lock bag with wp matches, two 4" candles, a bic lighter, a Gerber multi tool and most importantly a larg 8'x10' mylar silver blanket.

Edited by crispy
Good tip re the flare, I will add one.
  • Like 1

Went through in 75' of H2O 75' from shore 10 yrs. ago. Lost a brand new 800 'Doo. I got up on ice-11/2" thick-held me. Got up on my knees-rolled 200' back to where rest of group had stopped & walked away. Extremely lucky!

19 hours ago, Motorhead said:

They should make a video on how to prevent it in the first place. It must be a shock when it happens. Been lost at night in blizzard conditions on lakes.  Not fun.

That's what prompted me to use a GPS on the sled. Not for where the trail is but for where I've been. It's so easy to find open water on Georgian Bay. We headed out onto the ice to follow the stake line. A storm blew in off the bay and it became tough to see from one stake to the next. We turned around before it was too late. Now if I'm out on the bay and lose visibility I can always follow the track line back where I came from on the GPS.

On 12/7/2019 at 6:21 PM, Motorhead said:

They should make a video on how to prevent it in the first place. It must be a shock when it happens. Been lost at night in blizzard conditions on lakes.  Not fun.

No video needed.

When Motorhead turns left to head for the lake, DON'T FOLLOW HIM