Alloy Trailer Wheels?

Candubrain

I didn't notice until recently that the used trailer I purchased has oversized wheels and tires, 15-7 wheels with 225/75-15 tires verses what should be on it, 15-5 wheels with 205/75-15 tires.

The tires extend about 1.5" beyond the edge of the fender and are about the same distance from touching the fender at the top.  This combo appears to be working ok as I don't see any rub marks on either the fender or tires, but I'm not comfortable with the set up and will be going to the stock sizing.

The wheels are Alloy with centre caps and chrome nuts,  the look great on the trailer so I was thinking of replacing with similar alloy wheels.

Heres my question:

Am I better off going to a steel galvanized wheel since the trailer will mostly be used in winter?   I'm wondering how well the alloys will hold up against corrosion from the salt.

thanks

brian

I'd go w/ the galvanized. Our Northtrail utility trailer is over 10 years old & has galvanized rims. No rust on them whatsoever. I think O2 had tbe rims on a new trailer dipped as well.

I've had aluminums on my trailer for about 10 years now. They look ok, the coating on them has mostly peeled off and there is corrosion around the outside of the rim. The chrome center caps are completely rotten.

Surprisingly, I've never had a tire leak at the bead but then the trailer only moves a couple of times a year. The aluminum wheels on my vehicles seem to have bead leaks on a regular basis.

I'm currently thinking about replacing all 4 wheels and tires at this point, concidering the age and the fact that the sidewalls have some cracking. They owe me nothing and I can throw them on my work trailer which will burn them off in a summer.

I will likely replace with aluminums again as I don't like the looks of the galvanized. Would be nice to find some stainless center caps.

Edited by Blackstar

37 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I've had aluminums on my trailer for about 10 years now. They look ok, the coating on them has mostly peeled off and there is corrosion around the outside of the rim. The chrome center caps are completely rotten.

Surprisingly, I've never had a tire leak at the bead but then the trailer only moves a couple of times a year. The aluminum wheels on my vehicles seem to have bead leaks on a regular basis.

I'm currently thinking about replacing all 4 wheels and tires at this point, concidering the age and the fact that the sidewalls have some cracking. They owe me nothing and I can throw them on my work trailer which will burn them off in a summer.

I will likely replace with aluminums again as I don't like the looks of the galvanized. Would be nice to find some stainless center caps.

Amazon..... Heres a sample...They also seem to have alot of Stainless caps also...

Screenshot_20191130-113641_Samsung Internet.jpg

Edited by IQ TURBO

Thanks for all replies, yes I agree the alloy looks best, but I think I'll go with the general advice to used galvanized for durability.

@Blackstar  I just had my car summer and winter tires removed from their 10 yr old alloy rims, wire brushed and had the sealant goop applied to the beads as they were constantly leaking.   What prompted it more was the TPM on one tire had the battery die, so 8 of those too, I was surprised how much cheaper they are now $54.00 per unit for my Honda Accord.

@IQ TURBO When they say machined aluminum they generally means the shiny parts are bare metal,  no clear coat.  The final machining is done after the black powder coat or paint is applied.   This I was told my by OK Tire rep.

Princess Auto has HOT BUY for $160.00, alloy wheels with 205/75-15 radial tires.

https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/st205-75r15-black-alloy-trailer-tire/A-p8774366e

Edited by Candubrain

• 3 weeks later...

I'm second guessing my wisdom.   Those PA alloys do look good and with PA they stand behind their products.

I've installed Hercules Radial trailer tires with galvanized rims,  $200.00 each plus tax from McCarther Tire in Owen Sound.   I thought I was staying away from Chinese built tires buying the Hercs, but when I picked them up it clearly stated Made in China.

Anyway if someone is looking for a good set of Goodyear Marathon Radial  225/75-15 with nice alloys I have them listed 

thanks

brian

42 minutes ago, Candubrain said:

I'm second guessing my wisdom.   Those PA alloys do look good and with PA they stand behind their products.

I've installed Hercules Radial trailer tires with galvanized rims,  $200.00 each plus tax from McCarther Tire in Owen Sound.   I thought I was staying away from Chinese built tires buying the Hercs, but when I picked them up it clearly stated Made in China.

Anyway if someone is looking for a good set of Goodyear Marathon Radial  225/75-15 with nice alloys I have them listed 

thanks

brian

I don't always dismiss made in China. They will build to whatever quality specs the contract calls for. If their customer wants them to cut costs and quality they will. If the customer wants top quality they are also very capable of producing high quality.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, 02Sled said:

I don't always dismiss made in China. They will build to whatever quality specs the contract calls for. If their customer wants them to cut costs and quality they will. If the customer wants top quality they are also very capable of producing high quality.

Very good point, but quality has nothing to do with me avoiding Chinese goods.........

2 Canadians in solitary confinement for 1 year now in retaliation to a high level Chinese exec suffering house arrest in Vancouver.

My only recourse to protest this is to not buy Chinese goods.

• Like 2

Just wondering why you would put alloy wheels on a trailer that is used in a salt and brine environment?

Won't they just corrode and leak.

On 12/22/2019 at 11:08 AM, 02Sled said:

If you look at the Mercury Marine outboard plant in China vs the one in Wisconsin,Full of Meth heads.It just shows the sad state of some of the North American manufacturing facility's.