Driver Training Classroom Numbers Dropping

Nith Valley Sledder

I got pulled in to the driver training world last year when one of the guys my wife trains with went on holidays and they needed help. The team would generally train 45 kids per class with 3 classes held every fall in November & December the last number of years. The first class this year only had 16 kids and the second class scheduled for this Saturday was cancelled due to only 3 kids being registered. The last class in December only has about 16 kids registered at this point in time. It seems like the online course may be killing the in class training. Anybody else seeing their numbers drop like this?

We are still getting our limit of 25 per class.

Here in Kapuskasing we normally do two classes a season of 25 students each. We just graduated the first class of 24 (one no-show).

Info on the on-line version was offered to every parent during registration and every single one said "No Thanks". 

We've started a list for the next class (January sometime) and expect we'll have another 25.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I hate to sound all negative but after 3 crappy winters in Southern Ontario I cant see a lot of people getting their kids into sledding.   Probably different in Northern Ontario though.       

I believe that Haliburton County Snowmobile Association had a well-filled class in District 6.  I've heard a few parents saying that they want their kids going to the class rather than doing the online course.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, scottyr said:

I hate to sound all negative but after 3 crappy winters in Southern Ontario I cant see a lot of people getting their kids into sledding.   Probably different in Northern Ontario though.       

Had to respond. This is something we discuss in our class: you never know where you'll have an opportunity to go Snowmobiling. What conditions you might experience in one part of the province can differ from what you're used to. The course teaches the kids a lot about making smart choices in different situations. 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Claire Voyant said:

Had to respond. This is something we discuss in our class: you never know where you'll have an opportunity to go Snowmobiling. What conditions you might experience in one part of the province can differ from what you're used to. The course teaches the kids a lot about making smart choices in different situations. 

I wholeheartedly agree with your last sentence.  Alot of adults need this training also..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We filled 2 classes within 2 weeks of posting the registration info on our FB page early Oct, our trainers only wanted to commit to 2 classes this season. We received another 27 requests for training through pm's on our FB page and over 20 phone calls inquiring about training, which we re-directed to other area clubs and online training.  Only had 4 that said they would have their kid do the online training. 

The online training is 6 hours in front of the computer, with no way to speed it up, but it doesn't have to be done in one sitting.   Good to see that parents that are in areas and have the ability to get their kids into a class are choosing that, and that another choice is there for those who can't. I was really worried that the online would be the demise of in class training, doesn't seem that way.

• Like 2

I wish I could get my son into a classroom setting but unfortunately he doesn't turn 12 till December 31 & there aren't any courses anywhere close to us that are have the courses in January. With us being down in the Southwest of the province (Chatham) they're aren't a lot of options. If anyone knows of a course in this area please let me know I would rather him take a sit down course over an online course. 

2 hours ago, Bryan XC700 said:

I wish I could get my son into a classroom setting but unfortunately he doesn't turn 12 till December 31 & there aren't any courses anywhere close to us that are have the courses in January. With us being down in the Southwest of the province (Chatham) they're aren't a lot of options. If anyone knows of a course in this area please let me know I would rather him take a sit down course over an online course. 

Check w Fulline farm & garden in Glencoe. I know they run classroom sessions a few times through the season. They are a cat and poo dealer and also sponsor the local club

2 hours ago, Bryan XC700 said:

Is therea way for the club to fudge things? My brother was in a similar situation, he didn't turn 12 until the 21st. The instructor who was as friend of my father's, held the paperwork until the new year before submitting it to the OFSC. Mind you this was in the 70s, so I imagine the application & documentation now is online so probably no way to 'delay' the submission.

I bet there are a lot of kids that find themselves in this problem.

11 minutes ago, revrnd said:

Is therea way for the club to fudge things? My brother was in a similar situation, he didn't turn 12 until the 21st. The instructor who was as friend of my father's, held the paperwork until the new year before submitting it to the OFSC. Mind you this was in the 70s, so I imagine the application & documentation now is online so probably no way to 'delay' the submission.

It is still done.

Our instructors would not do this.  This is a ministry driver's license and forms have to be filed within 3 days of a class, IIRC.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, revrnd said:

2 hours ago, soupkids said:

It is still done.

Nope. Nope. Nope. The child MUST be 12 years old, on or before the course date. We personally inspect the birth certificate or passport or health card of each student during registration. Have sent parents home to retrieve them if necessary. No proof of age, no registration.

We take the responsibility of Driver Training extremely seriously. There is NO fudging of any kind. Certainly not with our club. 

We're teaching kids about following the law, FFS. Very disappointed to read that not all instructors are as compliant as we are. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

Sorry to have stirred up a hornet's nest, but I can't imagine the disappointment a youngster would feel that they can't take the course because their birthday is the wrong day of the year. That being said, the online course would allow kids to take the course after their birthday and not have to wait until the following season.

If a parent was to have their child take the online course (whenever), due to age or no in class course in their area, would they be able to 'sit in' and observe the course @ another time?

I can see parents wanting kids to take the in class course as they've probably know of the 'situation' around the online boater exam.

5 hours ago, T bird said:

Check w Fulline farm & garden in Glencoe. I know they run classroom sessions a few times through the season. They are a cat and poo dealer and also sponsor the local club

Thanks I'll check with them. They didn't show any courses for the area though on the OFSC website. 

On 11/26/2019 at 10:55 AM, scottyr said:

Yeah it sucks! Hopefully we get a good year this year. Last year I rode one day from home and that was it for season!  

7 hours ago, revrnd said:

The Hornepayne club was holding the course on a weekend just before my son's 12th birthday. They asked if anyone had a preference for which weekend they would have the course, I offered up that the following weekend would be advantageous for us. They kindly waited one more week and my son was a happy camper. 

If your child is close to the date of the course, I'd suggest contacting the club about a possible change of date. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My oldest son's birthday is January 2nd. There was a course available the weekend before Christmas in 1992 but no courses in the area scheduled after his 12th birthday. The instructor agreed to let my son take the course but would not issue any paperwork until we went to the instructors' home after my son's 12th birthday. I appreciated what the instructor did for my son and do not really have any issue with it happening that way if no courses are available within a reasonable distance or time.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Claire Voyant said:

Nope. Nope. Nope. The child MUST be 12 years old, on or before the course date. We personally inspect the birth certificate or passport or health card of each student during registration. Have sent parents home to retrieve them if necessary. No proof of age, no registration.

We take the responsibility of Driver Training extremely seriously. There is NO fudging of any kind. Certainly not with our club. 

We're teaching kids about following the law, FFS. Very disappointed to read that not all instructors are as compliant as we are. 

I should have said when I was teaching (10+yrs ago) it was still done.

I know things have changed a lot since I taught.

The instance I was referring to the kids bday was the next day.

18 hours ago, Techdenis007 said:

The Hornepayne club was holding the course on a weekend just before my son's 12th birthday. They asked if anyone had a preference for which weekend they would have the course, I offered up that the following weekend would be advantageous for us. They kindly waited one more week and my son was a happy camper. 

If your child is close to the date of the course, I'd suggest contacting the club about a possible change of date. 

We've done the same.

17 hours ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

My oldest son's birthday is January 2nd. There was a course available the weekend before Christmas in 1992 but no courses in the area scheduled after his 12th birthday. The instructor agreed to let my son take the course but would not issue any paperwork until we went to the instructors' home after my son's 12th birthday. I appreciated what the instructor did for my son and do not really have any issue with it happening that way if no courses are available within a reasonable distance or time.

Still amounts to falsified documents. The registration form records child's date of birth, registration date and course date. So if you "hold off" submitting the paperwork, how does that help? Or are you indicating that you held a class for one student??

As Denis indicated, some clubs and instructors are amenable to rescheduling, if it works for all parties. Most parents we've spoken to in situations where the child's bday is a day or so too late are okay with waiting til a later course, even if it is the next season. Those few months can mean a big difference in maturity for the kids. 

We try to be accommodating and capture as many 12+ year olds as we can, including a second class later in the season. Our season is long, so we've had a class as late as the 3rd week of February. The kids at least get a chance to ride during March Break. 

• Like 2

I haven't seen any notice of 1 in the Ptbo area. I know the former driver training that was involved w/ the club retired. He hasn't been replaced yet.

6 hours ago, revrnd said:

I haven't seen any notice of 1 in the Ptbo area. I know the former driver training that was involved w/ the club retired. He hasn't been replaced yet.

Our club only had one course around the end of November for years but hasn't had any courses for the last few years.

1 hour ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Our club only had one course around the end of November for years but hasn't had any courses for the last few years.

It seems the number of people wanting to be trainers is dropping in our area as well. I only got certified to fill in while the one trainer went on holidays. I go out now to help with the paperwork and keep my certification current but it's a bit of overkill to have 4 trainers for one course lol. When they were doing 45 kids per course it was a lot of licences to write out.