Sled Insurance - 2019-2020 Season

Dan-Senior

2019-2020 Sled Insurance

I renewed my sled insurance today with TD.  I was actually quite pleased with how quick a representative answered the phone. For a while in recent months, TD had long delays with customer service.  They must have added new staff.  Wait time was less than 1 minute.

$228 per sled.  Basic coverage for each of my Dinosaur sleds.

• Like 1

Got mine too. $345 tax in, including $178 for Comprehensive (otherwise would be very cheap). That's with Certas (Desjardins).

• Like 1

Ours for liability and comprehensive with TD are $294.32 each per year plus HST.

6 hours ago, Dan-Senior said:

2019-2020 Sled Insurance

I renewed my sled insurance today with TD.  I was actually quite pleased with how quick a representative answered the phone. For a while in recent months, TD had long delays with customer service.  They must have added new staff.  Wait time was less than 1 minute.

$228 per sled.  Basic coverage for each of my Dinosaur sleds.

Just don't have a claim.  You will be disappointed afterwards if dealing with TD.

1 minute ago, signfan said:

Just don't have a claim.  You will be disappointed afterwards if dealing with TD.

Good to know.  Thanks for the heads up.

43 minutes ago, signfan said:

I have to disagree with your assessment of TD service. I had a sled stolen a number of years ago. I thought I would have to wait 30 days before they would even discuss paying it out but after a small negotiation  3 weeks after the theft, they gave me what I had asked for and I had the cheque within 7 days. 

Yeah.  Had 2 sleds stolen.  One claim went smooth.  The second was a fight.  4 months later I bought a replacement sled and called for insurance coverage only to be told they wouldn't insure me.  They would not give me a reason why.  Just flat out refused to cover me again.  From my viewpoint I was punished by TD for being the victim that got robbed.  Everything I did was above board and fair (civil and professional as well) in trying to resolve the claim and I didn't get what I should have for the one sled.  I will continue to ensure everyone that speaks of TD hears how they treat their customers.  Terrible company.

My Intact, was ING, and I think Commercial Union before that.... Used to be handled by a small local office I walked into. 

Now it's still an office, but if I call, I get a LONG wait, and a call center.

Same thing happened to my wife's insurance. I had a question about our new home, and it was 30 minutes before I got a human on the phone.

We were both with our insurers a LONG time.

I went with State Farm, (now Desjardins) because Intact won't touch a dirt bike at any cost.

Then I insured the sleds through them, then the A class RV.

If I call, I get the people in the same office I can walk in to.

If they're going to take roughly 5k of my money every year, and ZERO claims for 20+ years, I'll be F'ed if I'm going to sit on hold waiting for them to take my call.

• Like 2

I just switched my car insurance from TD. I bought a new car and moved - hours and hours on hold to make the changes. Called a broker I know and she got me a quote for everything and it came out less than TD, so it was a no brainer to make the change. She told me that there are a number of companies who will not take new business from anyone who does not have an absolutely spotless record. 

Still with Desjardins for all the off-road toys. The other companies want to insure my motocross bike as a street bike, at literally 10X the cost. 

$180 for liability on a 2005 Arctic Cat 660. 

I had TD when my Harley got rear ended in 2014.   They were wonderful to deal with, covered everything and quick with payment.  I switched to Co-Operators last year as TD took a big jump.

Seems you need to get quotes yearly at renewal time and go with who offers the best coverage price.

On ‎11‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 6:48 PM, signfan said:

I guess it depends on the nature of the claim. I had my trailer replaced and the premiums didn't change.

23 hours ago, signfan said:

Yeah.  Had 2 sleds stolen.  One claim went smooth.  The second was a fight.  4 months later I bought a replacement sled and called for insurance coverage only to be told they wouldn't insure me.  They would not give me a reason why.  Just flat out refused to cover me again.  From my viewpoint I was punished by TD for being the victim that got robbed.  Everything I did was above board and fair (civil and professional as well) in trying to resolve the claim and I didn't get what I should have for the one sled.  I will continue to ensure everyone that speaks of TD hears how they treat their customers.  Terrible company.

My experience has been the total opposite. They even waived my deductible on the sled trailer mentioned above. We were broken into at home once and they were at our home the next day. They cut me a cheque for $5000.00 on the spot and told me to keep receipts and if I was getting close to running out with more to replace call them and they would deliver another cheque. I've had nothing but great service from them over the years.

19 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

I guess it depends on the nature of the claim. I had my trailer replaced and the premiums didn't change.

My experience has been the total opposite. They even waived my deductible on the sled trailer mentioned above. We were broken into at home once and they were at our home the next day. They cut me a cheque for $5000.00 on the spot and told me to keep receipts and if I was getting close to running out with more to replace call them and they would deliver another cheque. I've had nothing but great service from them over the years.

Was that in the last 40 years?

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

Yeah not sure.  The one sled claim I have no complaints with.  The second I certainly did.  Being refused insurance was just a kick in the nuts.  No notice from them when they paid the claims out.  It was a complete surprise months after the claims were settled.  Here I am with a new toy and had to scramble to get coverage in place.  I'll continue to share my terrible experience with all that ask / listen.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Was that in the last 40 years?

Yeah the trailer was about 4 or 5 years ago and the breakin about 10. Also had a comprehensive claim on my truck 3 years ago and the service was great.

On 11/22/2019 at 10:33 AM, woodzi said:

I just switched my car insurance from TD. I bought a new car and moved - hours and hours on hold to make the changes. Called a broker I know and she got me a quote for everything and it came out less than TD, so it was a no brainer to make the change. She told me that there are a number of companies who will not take new business from anyone who does not have an absolutely spotless record. 

Still with Desjardins for all the off-road toys. The other companies want to insure my motocross bike as a street bike, at literally 10X the cost. 

$180 for liability on a 2005 Arctic Cat 660. 

You can cancel your insurance online ( if you have Internet ) with TD. Takes about 10 minutes.   TD is good for that and you get a confirmation a day later no questions asked.

• Thanks 1

TD declined me becuase I had 2 windshield claims in 2years on my insurance record.   I tried to explain that at the time I had 5 cars insured so it really wasnt a huge deal.    They told me I was too high risk.    Bastards called me wanting to quote my house this year.   I told them to f-off.  

On 11/24/2019 at 6:29 PM, scottyr said:

TD declined me becuase I had 2 windshield claims in 2years on my insurance record.   I tried to explain that at the time I had 5 cars insured so it really wasnt a huge deal.    They told me I was too high risk.    Bastards called me wanting to quote my house this year.   I told them to f-off.  

No more TD either for me. They wouldn’t insure my atv because I registered it in my farm companies name and use it for work around the farm. I moved everything over to a broker and pay similar rates without headaches. Broker automatically manages values of everything I have there too. 

8 hours ago, T bird said:

I dropped them years back. I Asked if I was covered from leaving my house to the trail. Which is only 5 mins away. They said no so I told them to cancel the policy. 

So you are saying that TD only covers you when you are on a trail???

5 hours ago, Bigfish said:

So you are saying that TD only covers you when you are on a trail???

That's not what they told me.... I am covered essentially anywhere it is legal to ride a snowmobile. If a municipality allows a sled on the road I am covered. If I am breaking the law then I am not. Pretty much the same as if you drive your car / truck on a road that has been closed by the police then no coverage.

FWIW

Insured with The Personal

2015 Pantera 7000  $265 full coverage

2004 Sabercat 700   $90  liability and comp

• Thanks 1

On 11/27/2019 at 1:26 PM, 02Sled said:

That's not what they told me.... I am covered essentially anywhere it is legal to ride a snowmobile. If a municipality allows a sled on the road I am covered. If I am breaking the law then I am not. Pretty much the same as if you drive your car / truck on a road that has been closed by the police then no coverage.

What did they tell you about Ice riding and If your sled happens to go thru (hopefully  it never happens) I hear different horror stories about going thru ice and insurance is voided and you are on your own essentially. 

2 hours ago, Strong Farmer said:

What did they tell you about Ice riding and If your sled happens to go thru (hopefully  it never happens) I hear different horror stories about going thru ice and insurance is voided and you are on your own essentially. 

I specifically asked about that and was told I am covered. It is legal to ride on the ice. The only scenario they told me that I would not be covered is if I was riding somewhere I was not allowed to. Such things as trespassing or on roads where snowmobiles are not legally allowed. i.e. If I decided to ride up the side of hwy 400 I would be out of luck