The Ice Machine is Working Overtime!!!

Turbo Burgo

Just moved to Lake Scugog this summer.  This is my first time watching the lake freeze.  I cannot believe how quickly the ice came in!  The ice machine was working OVERTIME!!! LOL

Picture #1: Tuesday Morning (Nov 12).  Just slush washing up on shore.

Picture #2:  Taken today Thursday Morning (Nov 14).  Lake is frozen right across (and I live near the widest section of the lake!)

Picture #3:  Bonus pic of my first rip of the season!  Felt so good to get out!  Never been sledding in November!! LOL

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

• Like 8

The lake is pretty much 15ft at its deepest. Lots of bad spots out there that can get you in trouble.....

2 hours ago, Yukon Cornelious said:

The lake is pretty much 15ft at its deepest. Lots of bad spots out there that can get you in trouble.....

Not really a lake, just a deep field!!:lol:

Went for a short walk on the lake here (Rice Lake) 3" of ice already, but should be gone by next week.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Turbo Burgo said:

Just moved to Lake Scugog this summer.  This is my first time watching the lake freeze.  I cannot believe how quickly the ice came in!  The ice machine was working OVERTIME!!! LOL

Picture #3:  Bonus pic of my first rip of the season!  Felt so good to get out!  Never been sledding in November!! LOL

3.jpg

I will have to keep an eye open for you, as your in my neck of the woods. Might be a challenge though, fair amount of Cats by me. 

will this be another like last year? The ice breaker couldn't get into Midland last spring because the ice was too thick - 20 ft. ice ridges

On 11/15/2019 at 9:24 AM, 02Sled said:

will this be another like last year? The ice breaker couldn't get into Midland last spring because the ice was too thick - 20 ft. ice ridges

I hope it isn't at least not the super cold temps. Here in the south we would like a few degrees below freezing in order to get snow volume.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

I hope it isn't at least not the super cold temps. Here in the south we would like a few degrees below freezing in order to get snow volume.

How about real cold start to get frost in the ground then warm up enough to get some big snow accumulations... that sounds ideal to me.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

How about real cold start to get frost in the ground then warm up enough to get some big snow accumulations... that sounds ideal to me.

I would agree with that. Around here a good frost would help the farmers to get the corn crop combined so that the trails can be put in after they are finished. There is a lot of fields of corn yet to com off in Southwestern Ontario.

I noticed an early skim of ice over most of Gull Lake in Gravenhurst today.

Edited by Blake G
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Blake G said:

I noticed an early skim of ice over most of Gull Lake in Gravenhurst today.

Noticed the same as I crossed over the Bobcaygeon River yesterday. Probably gone as of todays' precip.