Haliburton Forest

Chickey6.archived

26 minutes ago, gobills said:

Be careful of early season riding there.  There can be lots of rocks.

Also might be beneficial if you do a search at the top there is many threads.

Thank you!

I've had several good rides there over the past few years, during early and late parts of the season. It's only 75 minutes from my home in Gravenhurst.

You really should follow up on gobills' suggestion about looking up past threads on this forum. Read judiciously, as there will be varying opinions. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Blake G said:

I've had several good rides there over the past few years, during early and late parts of the season. It's only 75 minutes from my home in Gravenhurst.

You really should follow up on gobills' suggestion about looking up past threads on this forum. Read judiciously, as there will be varying opinions. 

I rode early one time. Lots of snowmobilers with their own sleds and lots of other ppl who rented from the forest. I should have rented. The early ride has no base and you pick up lots of rocks etc in your tracks..... these are flung around and chips your frame and arms. Some get their exhaust dented badly. Causes rust on your frame etc. It cost me to powder  coat with color match.  Should have rented their sleds.

It's a catch 22 what you want to do with prior knowledge. Read the earlier threads.

Besides.... only a few trails are rideable.

Edited by Yamaha Fan
  • Like 1

My experience seems to mirror Blake's - several 'good rides'. Point of reference - Boxing Day, three times, so pretty early in the year 'tho not opening weekend by any stretch. I've stayed in the onsite cabins (pricey but very convenient). Also at cottages offsite.

From years on this forum, it's 'what were you promised and when did you travel there'. You can run the RAP , have mild weather, road rash - and hate it. Two weeks later, perfecto. Same with Haliburton Forest.

The issue here, in the past, has been oversell and under-deliver. Riders were told trails were 'open' or 'had snow', only to experience under whelming conditions. Tough to accept after you've booked off the day(s) and driven out there.

You should try it once, C6 - but hit it after a storm, consistent low temps and a quick check of local weather at that higher elevation.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Canuck said:

My experience seems to mirror Blake's - several 'good rides'. Point of reference - Boxing Day, three times, so pretty early in the year 'tho not opening weekend by any stretch. I've stayed in the onsite cabins (pricey but very convenient). Also at cottages offsite.

From years on this forum, it's 'what were you promised and when did you travel there'. You can run the RAP , have mild weather, road rash - and hate it. Two weeks later, perfecto. Same with Haliburton Forest.

The issue here, in the past, has been oversell and under-deliver. Riders were told trails were 'open' or 'had snow', only to experience under whelming conditions. Tough to accept after you've booked off the day(s) and driven out there.

You should try it once, C6 - but hit it after a storm, consistent low temps and a quick check of local weather at that higher elevation.

Thanks for the information Canuck!!

when there is nothing else open and there is an itch that needs to be scratched, it is awesome! Don't put on your new carbides until after you ride there, but it is usually our first ride. those are called "wearable parts " for a reason!

IMG_0077.PNG

1 hour ago, barberch said:

when there is nothing else open and there is an itch that needs to be scratched, it is awesome! Don't put on your new carbides until after you ride there, but it is usually our first ride. those are called "wearable parts " for a reason!

IMG_0077.PNG

x2 on this.

Used to be a good place for an early season ride before OFSC trails are open to scratch that itch.

For a newby to the sport, it is a good as they offer rentals, lodging, food, gas and a trail system that is usually well maintained having plenty of cottage roads that is their main trail system.

And do not forget, they actually make their own snow too.....:icon_munching:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Dug up an old post from January 2012 - new machine that year and the only time I've been there. For long time forum members, there are a few names from the past you'll recognize.

As Canuck reports, the accomodations were (and still are increasingly) expensive for what you get, but handy. Restaurant was a nice feature as well.

Link to accomodations report:

Haliburton Forest was also the site at which my interview and cover with Time took place.

theboss.jpg.e1cb8ef5e69dc91601a1bbc49924859b.jpg

Good times.

Edited by slomo

It’s a good place For an early season ride, Is it perfect nope, and depending on the conditions it may be good or not so good. But a ride is a ride, last Christmas instead of going there we trailered to Mattawa and rode missing links trails instead and had a great days ride. 

• Like 1

go there every year at the start of season, to brush the rust off and work out any kinks on the machines.

It is a place that you go with someone else though, not by yourself .. 

Normally get in there early for a ride, and the latest ive rode in the forest was first week of April.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm on Kennisis Lk which is right beside HF, we will be in the Forest for at least one day during that time

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The Forest will have their main trails open Friday, can't imagine it will be very good.  Will be lots of rocks and not much base.

Hopefully not many ATV's show up

• Like 1

3 hours ago, stonehaven said:

The Forest will have their main trails open Friday, can't imagine it will be very good.  Will be lots of rocks and not much base.

Hopefully not many ATV's show up

agreed. It will probably be terrible.

Thinking of heading to Quebec for the weekend at this point 

2 minutes ago, Nunz said:

Apparently 3 feet @ Rouyn-Snowwild isn't updated properly-good @ Amos!

3 minutes ago, Nunz said:

Much better bet than haliburton rock fest 

• Like 1

Just now, Muskoka1 said:

Apparently 3 feet @ Rouyn-Snowwild isn't updated properly-good @ Amos!

Been chatting with a couple guys, sounds like Temiskaming and ride north from there.