Tie Boss

Candubrain

While at the Toronto Snowmobile show I came across a booth selling Tie Boss products.  

http://tieboss.com/ProductDetail.cfm?PID-130&ID=2131&c=2

I'm thinking these would work good for securing a sled in a cargo trailer.

Any thoughts or reviews on them?  Other than online have you seen them sold elsewhere?  Hoping to score a better price for buying 4

thanks

brian

Neat idea.  I still think the superclamps are the best thing on the market.  They let the sled suspension take half the hit.  I've had ratchet straps jump off the sled when hitting a big bump.  These I think would do the same thing

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Candubrain said:

While at the Toronto Snowmobile show I came across a booth selling Tie Boss products.  

http://tieboss.com/ProductDetail.cfm?PID-130&ID=2131&c=2

I'm thinking these would work good for securing a sled in a cargo trailer.

Any thoughts or reviews on them?  Other than online have you seen them sold elsewhere?  Hoping to score a better price for buying 4

thanks

brian

I have a few I’ll sell u cheap bought a few about 4 years ago and haven’t used them since. Pm If interested 

My chum had some of those "pull to cinch" type straps - kind of the flat version of these.

They work fine for ATV's or whatnot, but a little ice build-up and you doo not get a good catch.

I will stick with actual ratchets in the winter for sure!

• Like 1

I think you could be in trouble if stopped by the MTO.  I think they want to see the working load limit of 1 strap being able to lift the entire machine.  Not to mention the hooks probably need to have safety latches now.  I use Super clamps on the front and two ratchet straps on the back to hold the sled back/down.  As well on a long trip, I use an additional ratchet strap on the front to hold the sled in case I get stopped.

• Like 1

Has anyone ever had police or MTO open up your enclosed trailer to see how the machines are secured.

Hauling in 4 place trailer for years. Load up, put parking brakes on and place duffel bags between machines and go.

If don’t have 4 machines will use ratchet straps to stop back machines from moving forward.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Fuse6 said:

Has anyone ever had police or MTO open up your enclosed trailer to see how the machines are secured.

Hauling in 4 place trailer for years. Load up, put parking brakes on and place duffel bags between machines and go.

If don’t have 4 machines will use ratchet straps to stop back machines from moving forward.

You might want to read the thread at this site:                    https://ty4stroke.com/threads/ontario-snowmobile-tie-down-regs.155263/

14 minutes ago, bbakernbay said:

Obviously not a ringing endorsement from Nunz!

They work decent I bought them only to tie down saddlebags when we had our fusions 

• Like 1

Have sledjunk tell you the story of the guy who flipped his trailer on its roof - and the sleds inside were secured with SuperClamp - best thing for securing sleds no doubt about it. Front and rears make a darn good combination.

Edited by slomo

no straps and or bars= multiple 600 lb missles flying at you and other vehicles in a fast stop, crash, or rollover, ditch dive. YES, IT CAN HAPPEN TO YOU!

i want to know, if i do flip the trailer, i will open the door and see my sleds still secured. think how you would feel if one or more of your sleds shot out of the truck, trailer and caused physical damage or death to someone you know, or other passers by. Ski

• Like 1

I continue to be amazed when I drive Highway 11 as to how many trailers are towing sleds and ATVs with what certainly looks to be bargain basement ratchet straps and most times only one at the back end.  Recipe for disaster.  I used Superclamp on skis and 2 ratchet straps on the rear and still wondered whether I was legal and safe.

Once you have tossed the packaging for a ratchet strap(s) there is really nothing to give you or enforcement staff any idea as to prescribed load rating.

Please post the current legal requirements for secure ENT.

38 minutes ago, ZR SLEDHEAD said:

Once you use Superclamps you'll never use anything else, well worth the investment.

X 2...l switched to Superclamps, both front and rear, about 7 years ago... convenient, fast and secure.

What does the MTO have to say about Superclamps ?  I'm sure those devices are not in their code book.

25 minutes ago, Big Pussy said:

What does the MTO have to say about Superclamps ?  I'm sure those devices are not in their code book.

This was in a Totally Yamaha post last December and is for Ontario:

Snowmobile Trailers (Standard 906)
906 Every snowmobile trailer shall be equipped with

• (a) one or more tie-down cross bars located in such a manner as to be capable of clamping the skis of as many snowmobiles as the trailer is capable of carrying; and

• (b) tie-down points to which each snowmobile can be secured by ropes or straps and that are of sufficient strength to withstand a force of 2 224.11 N (500 pounds) applied separately from any direction to each tie-down point.

Sounds to me that the Superclamps are legal then.  I won't worry about front ratchet straps anymore.

That code is worded so that ski cross bars are mandatory.  I don't read any OR  straps at four corners.

Be smart and secure your load sensibly. If you can move it at all by hand with a couple of big dudes shoving it? Reassess and upgrade your tie downs. Check your wheel bearings annually and keep the tires pumped up. Also if you have a flat backed enclosure and snow blowing around the back covers the lic plate? You get ticketed for that

16 hours ago, slomo said:

Have sledjunk tell you the story of the guy who flipped his trailer on its roof - and the sleds inside were secured with SuperClamp - best thing for securing sleds no doubt about it. Front and rears make a darn good combination.

Ran into a guy at the gas station outside of Britt last year who told us this story. I'd say that's an endorsement for superclamp!!

A couple of points.

First, those units are rated at 300 Lbs MAX LOAD limit.  Typically, Safe Working Load is 1/3 or 1/4 of Max Load.  You would want at least 400 Lbs SWL, IMO.

Yes, a friend got twisted around and the trailer ended up on its side.  The sleds were still clamped to the floor of the trailer.  Mind you, that kind of accident can, and probably will, still cause damage to the sled, but at least it is not a projectile.  In 2002, I was returning from Parry Sound with one sled fastened securely (or so I thought) to n open bed trailer.  As I approached a crossroad, a car, which had stopped, pulled out in front of me.  I hit him in the left front quarter and spun him around so that he hit me in my rear quarter.  My car came to rest 90 degrees to the roadway, facing the ditch.  After I stopped, something hit me in the driver's door and blocked it.  The something was my sled.  It had ripped the ratchet straps and / or straightened the hooks.  The trailer was the old style that ran a bar through the side of the trailer, over the skis and into a bracket in he center of the trailer.  I had taken a piece of chain and hooked it to that bar and to the ski for more support.  That 5/8 inch bar was twisted into a 'C' shape, ripped out of the trailer at both ends and went for a ride still attached to the ski.  The forces that are exerted in a crash, or even a panic maneuver, are unimaginable.

Do yourself a favour, and don't cheap out on tiedowns.  I used to use SuperClamps, but have switched to the bars that came with my trailer, because I find the SuperClamps do not fit well with my ski wheels.  However, I have also made some bars that clamp the skid down as well, so that the sled is held at both ends.

Thank you for all the advice.   I never considered the sled becoming a projectile.   More money.....this hobby appears to be a money cruncher like everything else I do.....LOL

Oh well, first year getting set up, it should level off after that.....or once again the Mrs might have something to say.

Having said that I did buy the Tie Boss's from Nunz.

I do have a second use for them....securing my motorcycle on ferry crossings.   The ropes they give you onboard are crap, and I thought these would be lighter to pack than a couple ratchet straps.

brian

• Like 2

6 hours ago, sledjunk said:

A couple of points.

First, those units are rated at 300 Lbs MAX LOAD limit.  Typically, Safe Working Load is 1/3 or 1/4 of Max Load.  You would want at least 400 Lbs SWL, IMO.

Yes, a friend got twisted around and the trailer ended up on its side.  The sleds were still clamped to the floor of the trailer.  Mind you, that kind of accident can, and probably will, still cause damage to the sled, but at least it is not a projectile.  In 2002, I was returning from Parry Sound with one sled fastened securely (or so I thought) to n open bed trailer.  As I approached a crossroad, a car, which had stopped, pulled out in front of me.  I hit him in the left front quarter and spun him around so that he hit me in my rear quarter.  My car came to rest 90 degrees to the roadway, facing the ditch.  After I stopped, something hit me in the driver's door and blocked it.  The something was my sled.  It had ripped the ratchet straps and / or straightened the hooks.  The trailer was the old style that ran a bar through the side of the trailer, over the skis and into a bracket in he center of the trailer.  I had taken a piece of chain and hooked it to that bar and to the ski for more support.  That 5/8 inch bar was twisted into a 'C' shape, ripped out of the trailer at both ends and went for a ride still attached to the ski.  The forces that are exerted in a crash, or even a panic maneuver, are unimaginable.

Do yourself a favour, and don't cheap out on tiedowns.  I used to use SuperClamps, but have switched to the bars that came with my trailer, because I find the SuperClamps do not fit well with my ski wheels.  However, I have also made some bars that clamp the skid down as well, so that the sled is held at both ends.

do you still have your Superclamps? I may be interested in them SJ.

I do have them, but still use them for the sleds that do not have wheels.