Need an idea

Dave K

My wife and I are looking for a couple days away in Feb.  We thought about south, but couldn't wrap our head around the idea.  Heck, I haven't been to the beach around here in over 2 years, why pay $4000 to go sit on a beach, when I cant drive 45 min in the summer to do this.

Looking for something that is more than just a sledding trip.  

Does anyone recommend something in the Parry Sound, Muskoka, Huntsville area that we could do.  I would maybe take the sleds with, do one day on the sleds, and day two doing something else.  My wife comes with on the sled to keep me happy, but wouldn't own a sled of her own.  So I don't want to do a two or three day trip of only sledding.  Otherwise I may get stuck on a horse back for 3 days in the summer, which i'm not keen on.  

Kids are home from school to do chores the week of Family Day.  Thats when we would be going. 

Couples Resort in Whitney? Sleding riding one day & think there are dog sled tours in that area as well. Check Algonquin Provincial Park for winter activities.

• Thanks 1

Karen works at the JW Marriott in Minett, beautiful resort and spa and lots of activities, no real trails out of the resort but you could drop from the trailer about 20 min away. Let me know if you need any help booking something.

Nunz

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Dave K said:

My wife and I are looking for a couple days away in Feb.  We thought about south, but couldn't wrap our head around the idea.  Heck, I haven't been to the beach around here in over 2 years, why pay $4000 to go sit on a beach, when I cant drive 45 min in the summer to do this.

Looking for something that is more than just a sledding trip.  

Does anyone recommend something in the Parry Sound, Muskoka, Huntsville area that we could do.  I would maybe take the sleds with, do one day on the sleds, and day two doing something else.  My wife comes with on the sled to keep me happy, but wouldn't own a sled of her own.  So I don't want to do a two or three day trip of only sledding.  Otherwise I may get stuck on a horse back for 3 days in the summer, which i'm not keen on.  

Kids are home from school to do chores the week of Family Day.  Thats when we would be going. 

Deerhurst.... my wife likes it there. At the end of the day of sledding treat her to a massage and nice dinner. Not necessarily the hotel for dinner although it's nice but we went to a place "Three Men and a Stove" I believe it was called. Avoid the family day or you will be overwhelmed with kids around. Do mid week if you can. I believe Canuck's wife calls Deerhurst "The Mother Ship"

Edited by 02Sled

1 minute ago, 02Sled said:

Do mid week if you can.

We would likely head up on Family Day till Thurs/Fri.

Deerhurst, that in Huntsville Correct?

Oh, yes...."E.T. home" when we get there.

I recall that some trails (up the steep hills, towards airport) may now be closed. Lovely trails eastward (IrReverant led us through them one year) and of course, the lakes get you to trails quickly if those proximate to Deerhurst are baffed.

How big is the ski hill at Hidden Valley?  Compared to Blue Mountain where we usually ski?

31 minutes ago, Dave K said:

How big is the ski hill at Hidden Valley?  Compared to Blue Mountain where we usually ski?

Check it out Dave.                http://skihiddenvalley.ca/

As Nunz said the Marriott in Minett is very nice spot. Would definitely be wife approved.

We have ate at 3 Men and a Stove in Huntsville a couple times. Great place to eat.

Trails will be beat by Monday of family day weekend. I would plan your sledding for Wednesday or Thursday if possible to give clubs time to get trails groomed up again.

7 hours ago, 02Sled said:

Deerhurst.... my wife likes it there. At the end of the day of sledding treat her to a massage and nice dinner. Not necessarily the hotel for dinner although it's nice but we went to a place "Three Men and a Stove" I believe it was called. Avoid the family day or you will be overwhelmed with kids around. Do mid week if you can. I believe Canuck's wife calls Deerhurst "The Mother Ship"

LOL Close, Three Guys and a Stove. On the south side of 60 east of town. Not sure if it's sled accessible. IrREVerent should know.

7 hours ago, Canuck said:

Oh, yes...."E.T. home" when we get there.

I recall that some trails (up the steep hills, towards airport) may now be closed. Lovely trails eastward (IrReverant led us through them one year) and of course, the lakes get you to trails quickly if those proximate to Deerhurst are baffed.

He toured me around for 2 days last winter. I really enjoyed the area north of there towards Sand Lake.

1 hour ago, revrnd said:

LOL Close, Three Guys and a Stove. On the south side of 60 east of town. Not sure if it's sled accessible. IrREVerent should know.

He toured me around for 2 days last winter. I really enjoyed the area north of there towards Sand Lake.

Three Guys & A Stove is NOT sled-accessible, because it fronts on Hwy. 60, but has no direct exposure/frontage on Fairy Lake.  There is a local street and a row of waterfront residential properties between the restaurant and the lake.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, irREVerent said:

Three Guys & A Stove is NOT sled-accessible, because it fronts on Hwy. 60, but has no direct exposure/frontage on Fairy Lake.  There is a local street and a row of waterfront residential properties between the restaurant and the lake.

Thanks. I'm usually paying attention to the traffic thru there. I haven't gawked around to see how close it was was to the lake. I imagine my friend Fiisty would've known.

My wife and I stayed at Deerhurst last year for a week. She originally only wanted to sled 3-4 days, however we ended up going out everyday for rides. 100km+ days. 
Nicely groomed trails are best found Tuesday-Thursday. A lot of traffic on the weekends. 
3 Guys and a Stove we ate dinner at 3 times. Menu is not cheap but really worth it. The dinner Restaurant at Deerhurst is really good aswell but isn’t cheap either and portions are on the small side. 
The trip was our winter vacation (we don’t go south) so we went all out on food. 
We’re planning on going back there gain this winter if weather allows it. Time will tell

• Thanks 1

I keep thinking about the Jolly Roger.  Makes for a pretty inexpensive holiday when you can stay for about $100/ night and includes breakfast.  I see lots of negative reviews lately, however would like to give the new owners a chance.

Not sure what else to do though besides sledding if we did stay there.

6 minutes ago, Dave K said:

I keep thinking about the Jolly Roger.  Makes for a pretty inexpensive holiday when you can stay for about $100/ night and includes breakfast.  I see lots of negative reviews lately, however would like to give the new owners a chance.

Not sure what else to do though besides sledding if we did stay there.

The key I think is this is him and his wife and he wants to indulge his wife somewhat. The Jolly Roger is not the place to do that. I started a tradition a number of years ago where each year I would take my wife on a sledding weekend to an "upscale" destination. She was most appreciative of being able to get a massage at the end of the day. Happy wife happy life. She was less than impressed with the Jolly Roger when we stayed there. To appease her we went to I believe it was Log Cabin Inn for dinner.

That would perhaps be another option as a destination in the Parry Sound area however I don't believe it is trail accessable.

Skandinave for a day always puts the ladies in good spirits. Downtown Collingwood for nightlife, ski the mountain etc. Can do all that by sled.

NYC is always a favorite thats a days drive and filled with more amazing experiences than you can imagine if you havent been I recommend it. Art galleries, restaurants, broadway, so much to see and do. If you went for a three day tour with a 4k budget you can enjoy it reasonably well. 4K for two days your getting into the luxuries of NYC and 4K per day? Now your in the zone. The place aint cheap but it is a ton of fun. Smith and Wollensky for steaks. Plenty of good live music and nightlife to be had

Washington DC is another great tour to see the national galleries and museums. Certainly worth a few days. Chicago also great eats ( deep dish pizza wow ) \

Or if your a water type look for a boat charter. Something in the 40' range and take a working tour from one of the caribbean  islands to another. Incredible experience

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone ever stayed at Hidden Valley resort, just up the road from Deerhurst?

My wife and I also love to ski.

Snowmobile out the one door, skiing out the other door.  Leave the truck and trailer parked the whole time.

Edited by Dave K

1 hour ago, Dave K said:

Has anyone ever stayed at Hidden Valley resort, just up the road from Deerhurst?

My wife and I also love to ski.

Snowmobile out the one door, skiing out the other door.  Leave the truck and trailer parked the whole time.

We have on the family day weekend once when we couldn't get into Deerhurst. It was good but not as good as Deerhurst. The dining room was overrun with kids since it was family day weekend. Instead we went to Three Guys and a Stove for dinner. The room was nice. They use the tennis court as a fenced compound for sled parking at the bottom of the hill in front of the resort. Make sure you have the sled keys when you head down to go for a ride. Don't ask how I know. The parking lot at the bottom of the hill is where they park the trucks and trailers instead of the one near the front entrance. It was a quick run across the lake to get to the trails. The people on the front desk didn't know anything about the route to the trails. Crossing the lake allowed us to avoid road rash through the resort area. They were in good condition that weekend. Gas is available at Deerhurst. You ring a door bell and a guy comes out.  

• Like 1

Thanks 02 for the info.  We will be right after family day, so I think resort should be a lot emptier.  I like the fact we can do both from the same room, and dont have to drive to get to one or the other.  I likely wont book until i can see the 7 day forecast, so if trails/weather arent great, we can do something else.

4 minutes ago, Dave K said:

Thanks 02 for the info.  We will be right after family day, so I think resort should be a lot emptier.  I like the fact we can do both from the same room, and dont have to drive to get to one or the other.  I likely wont book until i can see the 7 day forecast, so if trails/weather arent great, we can do something else.

We had lunch out on the trails. Kearney was where we had lunch one day if I recall correctly. If you can check into the trail access on and off the lake in advance it would be helpful since signage from the resort was non existent other than follow the road trail.

Mattawa golf and ski is worth a look too. Mike and Brenda are great hosts and accommodations are good but was a bit outdated but clean when I was last there. They have been up dating cottages though I have been told. Can cook your own meals and or eat in restaurant on site. Great location and easy access to trail and lots of trailer parking if you want to go to pembroke for a night and come back.  They support snowmobiling in area too. 

• Thanks 1

Lots of great places to stay in Kearney and good groomed trails there

• 1 month later...

We just booked an AIRBNB right beside Hidden Valley ski.  We are able to use the Hidden Valley resort pool and hot tub, but have a full house to use, as well as a heated garage to park the sleds in.  Bring on the snow and cold now, and hopefully sunshine and minus 5 the week we are there LOL.  

We go up Family day afternoon, and return home on Fri.  SO we should have some good trails in there at some point in time.

Edited by Dave K
  • Like 2

Horseshoe Valley resort north of Barrie is another option. If you plan on a week night you can get a preferred membership for $125 that gets you a free hotel night and discounted meals and ski/golf/Snow tube for a year. They have a spa, pool and restaurants. There are a few good restaurants close by too. The trails loop around the resort (recommend Midland-Coldwater-Orillia and back) and you can sled as long and as far as she can ride. There will be air bnb places close there too. Cheers,