groomer driver s now need first aid

mike37

Hi Guys just heard that groomer drives now need first aid and whmis training  to drive the groomers this year   any other club hear this  will loss more drivers for this one

I do not see this as a bad thing, hopefully the can do the whimis online course and maybe even do the one day first aid course(which will benefit the operator outside of the groomer job as well).  I see it as a positive and sensible decisions by the ofsc.  

Edited by gobills
Spelling
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think you can do the one day to keep current after taking the 2 day course. Not a bad thing to have, I know I like having the knowledge in my personal life.

a chainsaw certificate is also required!

All good things to have as a groomer operator.  Miles from nowhere, one must be prepared for situations requiring medical attention, and be trained to operate the equipment at hand.

• Like 1

First aid I wouldn't have a problem with. Always good to know, and help someone out of a bad situation who might not have otherwise, priceless.

I have taken WHMIS before at work. I'm not sure I see how it's really required for a groomer operator. But am certainly open for your take on it. 

I had never heard of WHMIS before this

I had to look it up, to find out what it was!

Seems like a no-brainer.

Edited by Bigfish

do some groomers get paid or is it all volunteer?

47 minutes ago, Diceman said:

Depends on the club and/or district. In our club  we have 4 paid operators and 4 volunteer operators. In our district I would estimate it to be 50-60% paid operators. 

From a H&S perspective the liability is no different for volunteers vs paid employee. All the requirements laid out in the OFSC Groomer Manual apply equally to volunteers and paid employees.  Ignoring them puts the district, and its directors, at risk. 

2 hours ago, snowchopper said:

Years ago most operators were volunteers. Now cause of liability/ insurance reasons most if not all operators are paid.

It would be interesting to see the stats on this province wide.

I am a volunteer operator and our club is mostly volunteer.

Last year we had 1 paid operator.

OK, so I haf'ta ask:

Why would a groomer opp need to know First Aid any more than any other person on Earth?

Or a sledder for that matter? (as mentioned just above)

Edited by Ox

17 minutes ago, Ox said:

OK, so I haf'ta ask:

Why would a groomer opp need to know First Aid any more than any other person on Earth?

Or a sledder for that matter? (as mentioned just above)

What if he has to get out and cut a branch or limb with the saw, and cuts himself doing so ?  He has to be able to fix himself up, as there's likely nobody with him.  Removing brush from the brushing bar or deck of the drag, cut himself or fall, twist or break an ankle, wrist, anything.  Gotta know how to do a proper splint to prevent the injury from getting worse.  

What if he comes across a sledder who's had an oops ?  He could administer first aid to the rider so as they could get out to safety.  

Anyone who ventures way the hell out into the boonies, would do well to know basic first aid.  Period.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, -crz- said:

It would be interesting to see the stats on this province wide.

I am a volunteer operator and our club is mostly volunteer.

Last year we had 1 paid operator.

The club in my district is all paid and i'am pretty sure all drivers for Highland Rovers are also paid. A lot of the groomers are guys that have been laid off their regular jobs for the winter.So they are looking for some income for the winter.   

Way I see it, there's 2 kinds of people.

Maybe I'm over-simplifying.

I've been involved with risky s#it roughly since birth.

Downhill skiing (NOT the kind most of you do..) Windsurfing, (see previous comment) dirt biking, motorsports, etc. etc.

Having some training, even the basic, BASIC 1st aid dragged out over 2 days means 2 things.

1 Acknowledging that crap happens. Many go blithely through life thinking they're immortal. I've met these people, and administered 1st aid to them.  

2 Being the kind of person that can help when/if it does, maybe not having to re-live it feeling helpless, and maybe a bit guilty.

Why would you want to be part of that other group?

8 hours ago, Diceman said:

paid... some choose to donate their pay back to the clubs... they also have to provide a drivers abstract

It's all about protection from liability.... same reason the groomers are now having dashcams and satellite tracking

Edited by 02Sled

3 hours ago, manotickmike said:

Way I see it, there's 2 kinds of people.

Maybe I'm over-simplifying.

I've been involved with risky s#it roughly since birth.

Downhill skiing (NOT the kind most of you do..) Windsurfing, (see previous comment) dirt biking, motorsports, etc. etc.

Having some training, even the basic, BASIC 1st aid dragged out over 2 days means 2 things.

1 Acknowledging that crap happens. Many go blithely through life thinking they're immortal. I've met these people, and administered 1st aid to them.  

2 Being the kind of person that can help when/if it does, maybe not having to re-live it feeling helpless, and maybe a bit guilty.

Why would you want to be part of that other group?

Doo you folks not teach this in Health class in skewl?

I understand that that doesn't make us EMT's, but wrapping a bleeder in a greasy rag and keeping pressure on it a while covers most.

Pull the belt off yuhr britches and use that if too bad for that, but make sure to ease up occassionally to get some blood to the extremity.

If you blow a femur, well, it's up to you - but be carefull as you could slice up a major artery if you bounce it around too much. (if the accident didn't doo that already, and if it did, you will likely be much better served getting out on your own NOW as opposed to waiting for a chopper in a cpl hours)

If your chum riding point stuffed it in the bush when some clown on a big fast Cat came wide around the corner - and hit a 24" Maple head on at 50 klicks (whatever) and hasn't so mach as twitched since, I doubt your gunna help much anyhow....

I'd like to think that most of us here are not paper pushers, and have much experience with ouchies. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Crow said:

First aid I wouldn't have a problem with. Always good to know, and help someone out of a bad situation who might not have otherwise, priceless.

I have taken WHMIS before at work. I'm not sure I see how it's really required for a groomer operator. But am certainly open for your take on it. 

Pretty simple.  As an operator you are required to 

- fuel the groomer

- check the fluids (engine oil, antifreeze, hydraulic oil, etc.) and possibly top them up

- fill a chainsaw with gasoline and bar oil

All of these are hazardous substances controlled by a MSDS.

I think there is a point where the training has gotten too onerous for volunteers to bother with.  Not there yet, but probably getting close to it.  Big thing is making as many of these classes have 3 or 5 year expiry dates vs 1 year.  It's easier to sell if you know its once through abd then you are good for a few years.  Unfortunately most of this is provincial legislation, not OFSC policy.

1 hour ago, Ox said:

We did CPR and first aid in high school, but you still need refreshed. Things also change from time to time.

5 hours ago, Ox said:

I understand that that doesn't make us EMT's, but wrapping a bleeder in a greasy rag and keeping pressure on it a while covers most.

Pull the belt off yuhr britches and use that if too bad for that, but make sure to ease up occassionally to get some blood to the extremity.

If you blow a femur, well, it's up to you - but be carefull as you could slice up a major artery if you bounce it around too much. (if the accident didn't doo that already, and if it did, you will likely be much better served getting out on your own NOW as opposed to waiting for a chopper in a cpl hours)

If your chum riding point stuffed it in the bush when some clown on a big fast Cat came wide around the corner - and hit a 24" Maple head on at 50 klicks (whatever) and hasn't so mach as twitched since, I doubt your gunna help much anyhow....

I'd like to think that most of us here are not paper pushers, and have much experience with ouchies. 

Common sense can carry one a long ways in life!!!!

• Like 2

And a G license.