INTERACTIVE TRAIL GUIDE

PISTON LAKE CRUISER

I just got a message from the OFSC that the ITG won't be online until November 4th.  Guess I'll dig the paper maps out for planning purposes.

• Thanks 1

I don't know why they have to take it down every year.  Trails are all shown as closed, and there is no snow  so its not like we can use the trails, then when they have the latest info, they can just update the map.

41 minutes ago, barberch said:

I don't know why they have to take it down every year.  Trails are all shown as closed, and there is no snow  so its not like we can use the trails, then when they have the latest info, they can just update the map.

Hunters , atvs , campers etc etc... Removed to protect private property and landowners. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, barberch said:

I believe it is to protect the landowners from other groups from accessing their trails and properties. Makes sense in my opinion.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Nunz said:

I believe it is to protect the landowners from other groups from accessing their trails and properties. Makes sense in my opinion.

I thought that is why they change the colour to red. That way everyone knows the trails are closed and it protects the land owners. For those that want to find out where the trails are so they can trespass,   the map being unavailable certainly will not stop them. The Ride Command map is still available as are Trak Maps etc

I had someone from a neighbouring club tell me that the ATVers in his area watch the ITG for the trails to go red , then they head out on them!!!

18 minutes ago, Bigfish said:

I had someone from a neighbouring club tell me that the ATVers in his area watch the ITG for the trails to go red , then they head out on them!!!

We get lots of " the trails are closed" from ATV'S in the spring.

1 hour ago, soupkids said:

We get lots of " the trails are closed" from ATV'S in the spring.

1 hour ago, Bigfish said:

Maybe only those that buy a trail pass should have access to the Interactive trail guide

Edited by barberch
  • Like 1

Should be private and only accessible with a code provided with permit purchase

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Spiderman said:

Should be private and only accessible with a code provided with permit purchase

How about using your permit #

• Like 2

IMHO the only problem with restricting who can see the ITG is that we may lose some prospective new sledders if they don't have the opportunity to see the vast network of trails available to them. We need to use every opportunity we have to get more people involved in our sport.

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

IMHO the only problem with restricting who can see the ITG is that we may lose some prospective new sledders if they don't have the opportunity to see the vast network of trails available to them. We need to use every opportunity we have to get more people involved in our sport.

X2  Maybe its someone from New York or Michigan looking for a weekend trip.  ETC...

• Like 2

4 hours ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Don't disagree, just saying by doing so, you open pandoras box to the freeloading asshats

• Like 1

10 hours ago, soupkids said:

Agree with Spidey and you. Great idea.

If I don't have a Quebec trail pass ( as an example ), I'm not surfin the interactive guide. If I'm thinking of buying one, a static ( .pdf ) will let me know if it's worth it. 10 years ago...all we had were maps or magazines.

...and barbirch. Great idea.

12 hours ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

This is a good point - over the past couple of weeks I have had to use the Quebec map so show the extent of trails and facilities to prospective sledders at my work. There are many out there who don't realize that the trail system is as large and comprehensive as it is - all they see in real life are the signs where the trail crosses roads. New marketing company needed.

18 hours ago, soupkids said:

Are we suggesting that snowmobiliers who buy permits aren't the same people that trespass with their ATV in the summer.  Truth is its largely the same group of people.

On ‎10‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 6:07 PM, signfan said:

I agree with the idea, but think a dumbed down version with a crappy base map and one that won't let your location show up on it would be a happy compromise to leave up for the offseason.

If you can figure out where the trail is so can the ATV riders, hunters, dirt bikers etc. that the landowners don't want on their property.

On ‎10‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 5:26 PM, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

On ‎10‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 6:08 PM, Dave K said:

X2  Maybe its someone from New York or Michigan looking for a weekend trip.  ETC...

First week of November is plenty early enough to plan a trip that likely won't be possible for 6 weeks out or more.

On ‎10‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 8:14 AM, signfan said:

Are we suggesting that snowmobiliers who buy permits aren't the same people that trespass with their ATV in the summer.  Truth is its largely the same group of people.

I know a whole bunch of ATV riders that aren't snowmobilers and recently rode the closed snowmobile trails from Coldwater to Big Chute Marina. They all thought that if it was a snowmobile trail that it was an ATV trail as well. They were surprised to learn it wasn't and that they were trespassing.

• Sad 1

54 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

First week of November is plenty early enough to plan a trip that likely won't be possible for 6 weeks out or more.

Likely is for the trips you plan 02.  For our trips, we like to get 2 adjoining rooms wherever possible as do many other sledding groups and hockey/ringette groups. For that reason, I want to get the trip planned early and the rooms we want booked before the hockey tournaments and other functions get those particular rooms.

• Like 2

On 10/5/2019 at 8:14 AM, signfan said:

totally disagree....our club for every 10 members , one may have a sled....its kinda funny, when you read alot of the post on here about atv's it the same as how others in the community talk about sleds...I know a few people who have farms and property and they tell me that they have way more of an issue with sleds trespassing and being idiots on their land than atvs...

Edited by Diceman

On 10/2/2019 at 3:10 PM, barberch said:

Agreed.  Great for planning purposed.  Fortunately I have a Garmin w/trail maps that I can use for now.